• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Towers Loving Care

To be honest, most of the most valuable things were pretty much gone by the late 1850s and in the decades following that. However, arguably the most important thing, which is the house, was only stripped in the mid 20th century as you rightly say (structurally etc). There were a couple of great auctions between these times which included things in the gardens and grounds as well as the house, not forgetting the fact that the place was also subject to occupation of soldiers training during WW2 (they can not be held as completely innocent of any damage in my opinion). It has been an interesting place. By the time the Bagshaws got their hands on it, it had already been stripped of its major worth as a whole. They just finished it off by stripping what was left in wood and lead, and whatever else they found of value....in a way of continuing to present the place as a leisure venue. However, planned or not, they literally left the house in a condition to rot, which I find deplorable.

This is true. It also shows that pre historic buildings act (or whatever its called) people had for well over a hundred years. Had no idea what to do with these big empty stalely homes. Some, such as the bagshaws and lord bath at longleat turned to tourist to keep them up. But major difference between longleat and towers s somebody lived there.

Ever since the 16th earl and pugin died. The house has been in decay. Nobody cared it was just a big empty house, expensive to run, upkeep etc. Also letsnot gloss over the fact, that even the earl used it holiday home. For grand fates, entertaining, short stays and odd prayer or two. Too show of his large collections of how a good solider his family was how good a catholic he was.

Like I've said above, with how merlin treats the rest of the park. The house is better of being an empty shell. Actually, makes it more interesting to me personally.

I imagine the eyes are not gloss coated due to the chance of damage during the works. If it is anything like normal painting we do at work for a perfect finish you want minimal dust, a decent temperature for drying, no wind, no moisture and to get it right each time, first time with several coats and rubbed down in between? Someone will be along to prove me wrong shortly

Air does look fine, just a pity they didnt spend the money on improving the theming around it rather than on some over priced goggles

Air does look fine, just a pity they didnt spend the money on improving the theming around it rather than on some over priced goggles

Yep.

Will never forgive them for changing the name and giving it a cliched and totally out of place space theme.

For the money spent we could have easily had a lake dug around the final turn and the original planned geysers and waterfalls near the station.

This would have really enhanced the ride experience rather than some budget version of the latest theme park technology fad.

I'm not too bothered about the theme clash to be honest, as Air's supposed theme never truly suited Forbidden Valley to begin with. Plus, theming wise, I've always thought the Portal looks good even though I preferred Air to Galactica.

As for a repaint, I think Galactica is the least of the big coasters in need of a touch up.

Yep.

For the money spent we could have easily had a lake dug around the final turn and the original planned geysers and waterfalls near the station.

This would have really enhanced the ride experience rather than some budget version of the latest theme park technology fad.

That would have ment doing something with the tunnel tho.

I think Merlin are not fussed on coherent themed areas anymore. They seem to theme rides however they feel at the time.

Air could have worked if the theming was implemented properly ax it was ment to be an oasis after the carnage.

I think if M£rlin had their way, the whole park would be replaced with VR. That way we'd never have to see anything for real, and the staff would consist of 3 spotty app developers locked in a basement in Poole.

Confirmed Driving School will be having somewhat of a 'retheme'. With the prominence of it on that early marketing image and the fact they've said more to follow in March makes the sceptical part of me suspect they may attempt at marketing this as a 'new' attraction. All hope will be lost if so. If it is just an extensive refurb, fair play to them.

0e1280f945a4801cd677cc9752571a07.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may have missed this but has Oblivion been repainted at all? I didnt manage to go last year but from the year before it was looking a bit worn down

Not to my knowledge. Oblivion was repainted for 2013 - I doubt it'll be re-done anytime soon.

I think Oblivion looks good enough still. Just look at pictures from 2012 when it looked at its worst and you'll see how much better it currently looks.

And The Smiler still looks hugely impressive, it's just up close you can see how rusty parts of the track look.

I suppose this means that I'll have to update my license (no car ride, just straight to the booth obviously) ;)

24869d7b-e494-4819-89c1-e719eeaa4da1_zpsdj61d0yn.jpg

Yes, Chav Life, but it was about 9 years ago or something. Looking forward to my updated card later this year if possible :)

Wow. I never knew you were such scum.