• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Towers Loving Care

Well, we have had areas like Mutiny Bay and CCL since 1998. We've also had UG Land.

On a side note, I do like the themed bins in that aerial photo. Really shows exceptional attention to detail.

Ok Ug Land I will give you because it was a pretty decent makeover with loads of new theming and some of the buildings changed. So that was like 1999?

Mutiny Bay, CCL, and Dark Forest were all just repaints and the odd bit of theming stuck in the ground. So we've not had a whole new area involving new infrastructure, new buildings, major land clearing etc since 1999.

I cant view the link and would really like to see the picture :(
Here you go. :)

kSK4nTC.jpg

T79kbH1.jpg

I do think they may have slightly overdone it on the bins :p

It’s said that Walt Disney stood watching people with empty wrappers to see how long they would hold onto their litter. That then defined how many bins(trash cans) he needed in Disneyland. I think he decided it’s something like people will only hold onto their trash for 10 feet before throwing it on the floor.
Therefore by that logic the bins are about right

Last edited:
Wonderful, thankyou. If you look in the bottom left of the photo of Oblivion queue line you can just about see the excellently themed refreshment kiosk it once had (you can still see the space where it was once located). It’s a shame over the years they had a disregard for everything like that and unceremoniously ripped theming out.
It would have been fine just left shut instead of an empty space.

You’d never get that level of detail for a food kiosk today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok Ug Land I will give you because it was a pretty decent makeover with loads of new theming and some of the buildings changed. So that was like 1999?

Mutiny Bay, CCL, and Dark Forest were all just repaints and the odd bit of theming stuck in the ground. So we've not had a whole new area involving new infrastructure, new buildings, major land clearing etc since 1999.

One of those rare occasions I agree with Pete :)

The only part of Mutiny Bay that was significant was Battle Galleons, the rest was mostly repainting, new signs and the parrot tower (the parrot was recycled from Thorpe).

Dark Forest is horrific!

Ugland was the last major decent area retheme, sure most of the infrastructure remained the same but there was fully redone shop fronts, the water fountains, treehouse and any number of theming objects.

Was it 2013 under the guise of X-Sector tlc we saw the Oblivion queue buildings shamelessly clad in cheap overlapped plastic hiding the original set concrete style and probably allowing the theming beneath to rot even more?

Concrete doesn't rot (easily), all it needs is a decent jet wash. Someone has really pulled the wool over people's eyes if they sold them cladding instead of a jet washer. Mind you, Alton isn't the best example of this vapourware industry.

The queue buildings aren't actually solid concrete, the outer layer is a spray-crete finish to give the look and I think concrete block underneath. The port before the bridge is just a fibreglass top too.

It's all, as they say in the entertainments world "a genuine fake"!

The spraycrete started to come off, so instead of re-cladding it, they just wrapped in vinyl as a cheaper alternative. Details were lost underneath like the "SW5" embossing and vents. X Sector needs a bit of "reimagination" I think, it's feeling pretty sparse now, but it's not a priority when you have the rest the park even worse. The theme isn't "dated", it just lacks effect now.

There would be no Mickey. He would have been outsourced, then made redundant a long time ago.

Poor Henry Hound has never recovered... Last I heard he was seen with a syringe and a bottle of white cider in a brown paper bag in stoke.

Come to think of it Nick wouldn't be there either. No point spending on a statue at all.

Last edited:
Poor Henry Hound has never recovered... Last I heard he was seen with a syringe and a bottle of white cider in a brown paper bag in stoke.

Didn't think they bothered with the bag in Stoke?

As much as people slate it, Efteling's treatment of python is proper TLC. The same with Hulk at Universal. Repainting 23 year old coasters isn't special, it's basic upkeep, and celebrating them for doing it is stupid. If they really cared they'd fix the jolt in Oblivion's tunnel, not sweep up the queue and lay some plastic sheets for the sycophant's "accidents".

Can I remind people that TLC is just a single, enthusiastic individual's efforts to communicate the winter work that goes on at Alton Towers.

For the 50,000,000th time: it is nothing to do with marketing. It is nothing to do with propaganda. It is just geekery.

I, myself, am grateful to see photos of what is happening at Alton Towers over winter.

Enjoy it.

Didn't think they bothered with the bag in Stoke?

As much as people slate it, Efteling's treatment of python is proper TLC. The same with Hulk at Universal. Repainting 23 year old coasters isn't special, it's basic upkeep, and celebrating them for doing it is stupid. If they really cared they'd fix the jolt in Oblivion's tunnel, not sweep up the queue and lay some plastic sheets for the sycophant's "accidents".

I would argue Python is an example of too far the other way. Theme parks do have to keep moving and that ride has no major significant value beyond that which Efteling apply to it. In many ways so was Hulk where if I’m honest they should have taken the oppertunity to deal with the latter half of the ride. This is why I never had issue with corkscrew going.

I have never noticed a jolt in oblivion’s tunnel (it slams into the curve but it did that in 1998) and I’m not sure you could remove the track to fix such a problem even if you wanted to (not that they ever would).

I would say that there is an element of the PR around TLC Being due to it being a way some folk who wanted to get the money could justify such expense to a company that is ultimately operated by a Marketing Director.

If it was purely a PR thing it would be on the main parks social media streams