• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Towers Loving Care

There are indeed issues with the ride that need addressing, if they have been removed, then it will be to fix these issue or to replace the cars. The issues -I would have thought - can be fixed without removing them but Alton may have decided to have them replaced anyway (unlikely though after so many cuts). The entire ride mechanics won't have been removed, just the cars.

Nothing on the ride is set to be fixed, the whole thing is going to be removed (if it hasn't already).

I will be amazed if it reopens because:-
1. It has had issues throughout it's short life
2. It isn't that popular anyway as it is not something you would re-ride over and over again
3. I suspect that it was always regarded as a (relatively) cheap short-term filler between major investments

I'd love to know your source! I'm not doubting you, but I'm surprised that it's happened so quickly given the park has only just closed for the winter. Unless of course they were removed in the closed days late on in the calendar.

If this is so, I'm afraid I can only smile somewhat. A damn near new ride that has been mothballed and removed very swiftly.

I'd be interested to get confimation either way on this.

This is prior to the closed season and not since.

Given it's been riddled with issues, was closed most of the 2015 season and closed completely for 2016, does anyone seriously think it will reopen?

It irks me they've had it marked as being under the TLC program when clearly it doesn't have any future at Towers.

Given it's been riddled with issues, was closed most of the 2015 season and closed completely for 2016, does anyone seriously think it will reopen?

It irks me they've had it marked as being under the TLC program when clearly it doesn't have any future at Towers.
Sub-Terra was the only ride that didn't have the TLC excuse on the sign tbf...

Rides that are fairly new being mothballed and possibly removed so early is annoying, but I can't say I'll miss Sub Terra. If it were to reopen, it'd almost certainly be with no actors, so the experience would be very flat.

Ultimately, I never got the need for Sub Terra in the first place. I loved the fact they expanded on the Nemesis story, but the ride itself was tacky, and pointless when you consider the same basic experience was available on Th13teen. The mini horror maze made it better, but like I said, with the cuts there's no way the actors would be reinstated.

An incident at a different Merlin attraction with the same drop towers, and the aftermath of the Smiler accident = no more Sub Terra. The new bar restraint was not enough.

This is terrible for such a new attraction, and while I can appreciate it wasn't exactly SW price tag it was still a reasonable investment.

Apart from anything, I actually quite liked the damn thing. It was Hex's weaker brother and a good filler attraction. It was just nice to have another dark ride with decent theming and a good story behind it.

Screw you Merlin!

An incident at a different Merlin attraction with the same drop towers, and the aftermath of the Smiler accident = no more Sub Terra. The new bar restraint was not enough.

There have been 2 issues with Sub-Terra which have nothing to do with issues at another Merlin park. One issue was thought to have been sorted, hence why it opened for a brief period, but another issues arose with the ride which in tandem caused an even bigger issue.

If the ride is off site then it will hopefully be to fix these issues or like I said the cars to be replaced. Sub-Terra still appears on the ride list under the 'refurbishment' category and although Charlie is still listed as well, when we know it's not returning, I'd be very surprised if Alton give up on Terry completely. It depends if ABC can sort the issue easily. They're also not the only company to make drop towers either.

Last edited:
which one was that?

An incident at London Dungeons, relating to, but not solely, the restraint bar. More to the story than that, but it seems Towers could not risk the negative press if such an event were to be repeated on site.

Has anyone actually confirmed that the towers have actually been removed yet?

That won't come from an official line until the new season I suspect. Until then it's "take it or leave it".

There have been 2 issues with Sub-Terra which have nothing to do with issues at another Merlin park. One issue was thought to have been sorted, hence why it opened for a brief period, but another issues arose with the ride which in tandem caused an even bigger issue.

Incorrect. I am not speaking of a technical, literal issue with Sub Terra. This is an incident elsewhere in the Merlin world that could have a severely adverse effect on Towers should it (god forbid) happen there. We aren't talking about a fault, etc.

Incorrect. I am not speaking of a technical, literal issue with Sub Terra. This is an incident elsewhere in the Merlin world that could have a severely adverse effect on Towers should it (god forbid) happen there. We aren't talking about a fault, etc.

I don't know what Dungeons issue you are talking about but Spike is correct when he says there have been issues with Sub-Terra in the past.

I don't expect to see Sub-Terra re-open regardless of whether there have or have not been issues at Towers or elsewhere in the Merlin world. It's a relatiely high cost ride due to staffing levels and it's popularity amongst the public was low by the end of its life. A shame as I quite liked it!

:)

I don't know what Dungeons issue you are talking about but Spike is correct when he says there have been issues with Sub-Terra in the past.

I don't expect to see Sub-Terra re-open regardless of whether there have or have not been issues at Towers or elsewhere in the Merlin world. It's a relatiely high cost ride due to staffing levels and it's popularity amongst the public was low by the end of its life. A shame as I quite liked it!

:)

Yes I agree - The part I said "incorrect" to in relation to Spikes post was when he said
There have been 2 issues with Sub-Terra which have nothing to do with issues at another Merlin park.

There HAS been an issue at another Merlin attraction which HAS caused a follow up problem for Towers with Sub Terra. There may well be technical problems too as Spike mentions, but I was making reference to the above.

Although in no way do I think it will be back in its present form, it would surprise me if they removed it entirely. Surely it's removal would be far too costly rather than simply leaving it SBNO until they reopen it some day, minus the actors. The very costly removal of such a new ride would seem an odd investment to make at this time unless they are harvesting some of it for a Dungeons tower.

Also, with CaTCF, Ripsaw, Submission and soon to be Blade and possibly even Enterprise gone from park, surely NST as well would be a step too far even in the current climate wouldn't it? Because we know they won't fork out for any new darks or flats on top of this removal, would they leave the park that bare on a more permanent basis?

Has anyone actually confirmed that the towers have actually been removed yet?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Noooo....we are not losing the magnificent Castle as well? :eek: ;)

altonmain2-618x273.jpg

I am well versed on the multiple issues surrounding Sub-Terra, from the small, to the reason it's closed. I know which issue you are referring to and the only way I can see it being fixed is providing an individual system which would require a redesign from the manufacturer. The other issue can be sorted by a simple on/off switch, but together they pose a risk Alton will not take and rightly so.

Will it return? I think so but with a serious redesign, when? Who knows but Alton will no doubt be pushing ABC for a resolution as the ride is not fit for purpose currently and so they have an obligation to rectify it with it being relatively new.

For such a small attraction with such high levels of staff required to run it, and the cost cutting across the resort... I really cannot see Sub-Terra opening any time soon.

Much like CATCF, I can see it standing empty till they think of a new development on the site.