• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Towers Loving Care

Yes but if it looks bland and uninteresting from the exterior why is there any reason to suspect it contains anything interesting?

Personally I don't care for actors on rides.

It looks bland but perfectly acceptable. Nothing amazing, but certainly nowhere near bad enough to put people off going on it.

It looks bland but perfectly acceptable. Nothing amazing, but certainly nowhere near bad enough to put people off going on it.

It was a poor effort for a park of Alton Towers stature especially when compared to the rest of the theming in the area.

The inside however is a different story!

Sub terror should have individual laps fitted, paid for by ABC, and reopen without the actors. I know it would never be "the same" but its far better than it is currently - bloody closed.

I think if they had one actor/host per batch as a guide that goes though the ride with them (not riding tower). It would give a fixed point to move guests on.

So you would enter batching to find a guide in phalanx military uniform. They will be more friendly than current guards. This will carry on until the problems where they get concerned about what's happening.

Once the towers have parked, the guide gets very urgent with there dialogue. Hurrying you to and into the lift with a worried tones.

The exit maze has audio visual disorientation affects, with no actors (except guide) in it on the turn the nemesis monster (other side of fencing) moves towards the fencing making you head for the exit a bit quicker. and out of the building.

Hi Steve, welcome to TST. I would just reiterate what Jon said really, but in addition add that Hex's lapbars tend to be for about 4 people as oppose to 10, they come down a lot tighter as well.
Thanks Spike, it's certainly livelier here than on the TT forums!

Yeah that all makes sense. I just wonder though that because of the Smiler incident and other drop towers incidents you've all mentioned, Alton Towers are erring massively on the side of caution and keeping Hex closed until upgrades are carried out. Just my thoughts. But like many of you guys have said Hex is one of the best dark rides out there and for me it just helps to sum up the magic, excitement, history and eeriness of the Towers (and park) and it would be such a shame for it to remain closed either for cost cutting or because of the fear of some brainless numpty who may try to climb out of their seat. I've often thought that the restraints should be a bit meatier - not for safety but to help with the illusion of going upside down.

Actually that is a good point, locking seatbelts would solve what is seemingly the problem. I suppose the one issue is that it would reduce the throughput however that is preferable to having the ride closed.

:)

Makes me laugh some of you hate being shouted at by actors, but its ok for them to jump out and scare, touch and man handle in extreme cases on scare mazes.

Makes me laugh some of you hate being shouted at by actors, but its ok for them to jump out and scare, touch and man handle in extreme cases on scare mazes.

Becuase that is the point of a scare maze? Hosts on a dark ride are not actors in a scare maze?

In scaremazes, the actors are supposed to be aggressive (mine tours for example - the actors are playing characters that are trying to steal your face). In sub terra, the actors shout at you and threaten you, despite the fact that the characters are supposed to be leading civilian tours.

I love scare mazes, but it doesn't mean I want the cbeebies actors to chase me or push me around. Its a much more extreme example, but scare actors don't work In either case.

Unsure if this is one of the issues previously referred to, but believe there was also an incident where restraints on one tower unlocked before the gondola had parked.

All I'm saying is, if you can withstand what you get in scare mazes then surely Sub Terra is nothing.
I enjoyed the Military style, its a different experience.

It's nothing to do with not being able to withstand it. It is more why on earth are these people who are meant to be welcoming you to this facility shouting at you as if you are new recruits? Is it normal to shout orders at vistors in the workplace? It just didn't fit with the theme at all and I know that some staff members 'abused' what they thought was their 'power'.

Anyway, this is starting to drift away from TLC so let's try and get back on topic!

I always thought Sub Terra would've been far more effective if the military actors at the start were very friendly and welcoming, reassuring you that nothing could possibly go wrong. So when, of course, it does go wrong and the actors start to panic, it makes it feel more frightening.

So back on topic, the only type of TLC I'd really like to see on Sub Terra is a change to this. No one really wants to get shouted at at a theme park, outside of scarefest that is.

The thing with the actors is that the military DO NOT shout at civillians unless they are about to shoot them. Even in training, the US military have cut back on the shouting these days, as since it became such a well known trope, recruits can't keep a straight face any more. In the UK, we never did it to start with.

Last edited:
The shouting at guests from the hosts is one of the elements that really put me off riding it. I wish I had gone on it now just to see it for myself, but the shouting really turned me away.

I thought it made sense for the theme, you're a guest, but it's still an alien and all that and they don't want you doing anything stupid. Plus it's a theme park so I was expecting it to be camp and over the top. To be honest I just thought it was funny. But I get why people didn't like or want it, even people who like the intense mazes, I get that point but they're two different things.

I'd have been happy if they went full Sub Species with it to be honest but I understand it would have got even less riders if it was like that.