• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Coaster Building Contest 2021/22: Winners Declared (Competition Ended 12th May)

Just as a point of reference, I’ve put the full list of participants into the opening post of this topic. When the voting starts and people begin getting points, I’ll have a full list of scores in that initial post as well. Don’t be concerned by the fact that everyone’s on 0 at the moment; that will change when this round is done!

Just as a point of reference, I’ve put the full list of participants into the opening post of this topic. When the voting starts and people begin getting points, I’ll have a full list of scores in that initial post as well. Don’t be concerned by the fact that everyone’s on 0 at the moment; that will change when this round is done!
How are you planning to score each round? Like what points do you get for winning?

How are you planning to score each round? Like what points do you get for winning?
My idea was that during the voting round, I would ask players (and anyone who’s not competing, if they wish to chime in) to vote for their top 5 layouts, based on which one they’d most like to ride and which one they think generally looks best, in order of ranking, as well as to vote for a nomination for Most Realistic and Most Original (these don’t have to be one of your listed top 5).

For the top 5s; I will weight each ranking from 1-5 as follows:
  • A #1 ranking gets a player 5 points.
  • A #2 ranking gets a player 4 points.
  • A #3 ranking gets a player 3 points.
  • A #4 ranking gets a player 2 points.
  • A #5 ranking gets a player 1 point.
If you are not in a voter’s top 5, you will gain no points from that voter.

Realism points and Originality points will be scored separately; each time a member is voted Most Realistic, they will gain 1 Realism point, and each time a member is voted Most Original, they will gain 1 Originality point. These awards are separate from the overall ranking and will be awarded separately at the end of the competition.

I might also do scores by round for the 3 different league tables alongside the overall ones at the end of the competition.

How does that sound? If anything’s not clear, just ask! (And that goes for any more general queries as well, not just about scoring)

My idea was that during the voting round, I would ask players (and anyone who’s not competing, if they wish to chime in) to vote for their top 5 layouts, based on which one they’d most like to ride and which one they think generally looks best, in order of ranking, as well as a nomination for Most Realistic and Most Original (these don’t have to be one of your listed top 5).

For the top 5s; I will weight each ranking from 1-5 as follows:
  • A #1 ranking gets a player 5 points.
  • A #2 ranking gets a player 4 points.
  • A #3 ranking gets a player 3 points.
  • A #4 ranking gets a player 2 points.
  • A #5 ranking gets a player 1 point.
If you are not in a voter’s top 5, you will gain no points from that voter.

Realism points and Originality points will be scored separately; each time a member is voted Most Realistic, they will gain 1 Realism point, and each time a member is voted Most Original, they will gain 1 Originality point. These awards are separate from the overall ranking and will be awarded separately at the end of the competition.

I might also do scores by round for the 3 different league tables alongside the overall ones at the end of the competition.

How does that sound? If anything’s not clear, just ask! (And that goes for any more general queries as well, not just about scoring)
That sounds fair, I just wondered that was all.

Right well here's my submission (I'm not very good a hypers and as some may remember the last hyper I built was awful - although everyone was very nice about it of course).
Name: X-0dus
Model: B&M hyoer
throughput: about 1,800 an hour according to dispatch timer

I've never been very good at building hypers and I know the video and pictures aren't of good quality but I hope this is alright.
Haven't got much time this week but wanted to participate.

Right well here's my submission (I'm not very good a hypers and as some may remember the last hyper I built was awful - although everyone was very nice about it of course).
Name: X-0dus
Model: B&M hyoer
throughput: about 1,800 an hour according to dispatch timer

I've never been very good at building hypers and I know the video and pictures aren't of good quality but I hope this is alright.
Haven't got much time this week but wanted to participate.

Not bad; not bad at all! I can certainly see improvement in your building style compared to your last hyper, and I have to say that you’ve gone for something pretty unique within the sphere of B&M Hyper Coasters, with the high speed turns giving the ride a very unique flavour, while still keeping the airtime-focused essence of a B&M Hyper Coaster!

And don’t worry, the photos and video are fine!

Did anyone say airtime?

Name: Appropriate Length
Type: B&M Floorless
Height: 298ft
Vertical G: 5.4g
Airtime: -2.07g
Inversions: 5
Airtime Moments: 9
Airtime Duration: 12.7 s
Trains: 3 (7 rows of 4)
Capacity: 1064 pph

Merlins lack of Airtime and capacity to build a coaster of decent length getting you down? Well I designed this to use it's height to give a decent ride length. It's packed with airtime like any good hyper should. But not just any old hyper, I had to include some inversions to make it more snappy to fit in the footprint.

I added the lake by looking at Thorpe on Google maps so I could keep my bearings and stay within the boundaries. Even chucked Saw and a Top Scan on there to help me with perspective.

Some dodgy bits on there I'm not proud of but I've spent hours rebuilding parts and lost patience. I also regret building it so high but then rules said a minimum height not a maximum so I got a little too carried away.

Excellent work @Matt.GC; a very original ride you’ve created there, and on the whole, I think you pulled it off very well! It all seems to flow nice and smoothly, and every element is taken at a great pace, so it certainly gets a thumbs up from me!

Can I ask, though; out of interest, given the ride’s named “Appropriate Length”, how long is it? It certainly looked long from the POV, but does PlanCo Console give you the exact length?

Excellent work @Matt.GC; a very original ride you’ve created there, and on the whole, I think you pulled it off very well! It all seems to flow nice and smoothly, and every element is taken at a great pace, so it certainly gets a thumbs up from me!

Can I ask, though; out of interest, given the ride’s named “Appropriate Length”, how long is it? It certainly looked long from the POV, but does PlanCo Console give you the exact length?
2523 meters long

Really? I had no idea! I was going for length but certainly not a record.by any means.
In that case, then; you've repeated the same feat as Lightwater Valley did when building The Ultimate (yes, LWV didn't originally intend to break the length record)! Which is quite fitting given that all the contexts in this challenge are UK-based, and one of them is even based around The Ultimate (as identified in my opening post)!

I wonder if Merlin will ever go for the length record?