• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Turning a corner or a False Dawn? Towers and it's future

Finally went for the first time this season. I last went in the middle of Scarefest and this is one of the longest periods I've left it between visits.

On one hand, the park had a look and feel about it that was even worse than I expected. It was grey and rainy most of the day which didn't help. I knew Nemesis being closed would be the single biggest blow to my experience but I didn't expect it's absence to shine a light even more on problems that I knew already existed. Operations were generally OK, there weren't any drama's either.

The park just looks so barren, charmless, tatty, cheap and run down. Take Galactica for example. I know it's pretty much opened as it closed last season. But when all else around is quiet, you don't hear Nemesis roaring around and the centrepiece of FV is blocked off, it feels lifeless. You join the queue for a coaster which has no real theme, walk through a queue line where poorly conceived grey paint work on the original rock work is fading, past dirty track, into a dusty dark station with all the screens off and paint flaking off of hand rails to get on a quite dull flyer that gives you a ride through a damp concrete tunnel, around a muddy landscape with a view of a car park.
Once finished, you walk up a stairwell and through a boarded up shop out into a half boarded up area containing a fun fair flat that the you queue for past an old retail unit that's now used for restaurant storage.

After walking past a plain black entrance sign leading to a 43 year old pirate ship that's painted plain brown and bright yellow, you pass a shuttered burger unit, a closed Sky Ride station, a theming object of a ride that's currently not operating and some scaffolding by the entrance of another attraction that hasn't operated for years. Thankfully, you can then get to a newly revived Gloomy Wood, but even that's via another retail unit with the shutters pulled down and beyond that is a Mine Train who's partially obscured façade is the only theming to it (safe from a tunnel exit that's now hidden behind a tall fence with plastic windows in it). You then pass a rapids ride that has almost nothing going for it as it gently meanders around a trough past almost zero theming and through a concrete cave lit with LED's. It has a strange Australian voice in an African "themed" area bigging up excitement that the ride doesn't deliver in any shape or form, and 2 different music tracks (one iconic and classic, the other one ambient and forgettable) competing for your attention whilst playing over each other.

Again, things improve when you get to Mutiny Bay and the Wickerman plaza. But that's before I mention the 2 average coasters and nothing else rattling around a former prehistoric themed area painted grey with a massive scaffolding clad plain wood fence being it's centerpiece, with little atmosphere or theme coherency (unless the terrible state of wood panelled brick theming falling off around the Thirteen station is supposed to deliver this). Or the state of the chipped blue paint that was unceremoniously thrown all over the Walliams World Theatres rotting facade that now acts as a simple queue line for another fun fair flat in a mess of a back street that claims to be a park "area" (who's quite new star attraction is a tiny dark ride complete with a queue line where the wall paper is peeling off the walls). The once foreboding X Sector, containing more metal shutters hiding closed outlets, a boarded up Oblivion shop (as if the terrible state of the queue line for Oblivion in the first place wasn't enough), 2 more funfair flats playing naff rock music with garish lights where permanent installations once stood (1 quite recently) and a slimy queue line for Smiler, which on ride feels like it's vibrating more than it should and someone that morning couldn't even be bothered to turn the volume up for the audio on the second lift hill. Oh and X Sector appears to be a park area that children are all but unwelcome in now as all 4 attractions are now all 1.4m height limits.

Both monorail stations (the less said about the onride experience of the knacked rolling stock the better) are now painted standard purple that looks silly. In a similar vein, Towers Street with primary colours painted over damaged facades and buildings that seem eerily abandoned if you didn't know there were offices behind much of them. Even the "Towers Lounge" sign placed where the Bar and Grill hanging sign used to be is wonky and looks like it's ready to fall down.

I haven't even mentioned the food, which I consider out of bounds now and would have deflated me more. Or the accommodation.

On the other hand, seeing the front lawns, bright green with with all the sun shine and rain we've been having, beautiful trees stood in front of an incredible looking Towers back drop. A quick walk around the top of the fantastic gardens. It still really is a beautiful and precious place. Wickerman is now 5 years old and doesn't appear to be following the trend of the rest of the place remarkably and is mostly keeping up with appearances (although the smoke could do with being turned up). You can't help but enjoy the site of new, fresh B&M track being installed at Towers for the first time in over 2 decades. Although I dislike the journey they're going with it so far, I know an excellent, fresh looking and rejuvenated star of the show will be opening in FV next year and they really want you to know about it. I know NST will open soon to give a shot in the arm to the diminished state of the ride lineup and credit has to be given to what they've done with Alton Manor which was very enjoyable

I suppose some people can be forgiven for feeling positive when trawling through planning documents on the Staffordshire Moorlands planning portal for something which is effectively a park extension. Or when a new head honcho subliminarily agrees that some serious issues exist by consenting to being broadcast on the internet walking around the lawns being told (politely) the park she's just taken on is a bit of a bin. Or just the site of fresh, shiny new B&M track in the car park. It all gives off a feeling of progress and the future, like the current experience isn't what things will be like in the future.

But even if we overlook certain things such as ride availability so far this season, I have to wonder why the park has opened this season like this? Were preparations not made for replacing Enterprise in advance because only 1 person knew it was end of life and they didn't tell anyone? Was the Aramark deal done by a Merlin board member acting as a lone wolf who has now been sacked? Was the procurement department waiting on a new consignment of car sponges and dusters on sticks but the supplier has let them down? Has the thin sheet metal to replace the graffiti'd stuff in the Oblivion queue line failed to arrive 3 times? Did Bob the maintenance guy have a bet with his mates down the pub that he could paint 20 things around the park in the same colour purple before anyone notices? Did the IP contract with David Walliams have an accidental clause in it that stipulates if they fixed up the Walliams World building facades he could sue them? Did a group of park managers get sent out to do their routine morning park walks of audio, effects, every pathway and queue line back in March, got lost in the gardens, haven't been seen since and now there's a search party out looking for them? Is there some sort of religious festival local to Staffordshire that takes place most days which means staff have to be home by 5pm so the park must shut at 4 (not yesterday by the way)?

I'm not sure how I feel about it all. The first coasters I've been on in 7 months so was raring to go and I had excited kids with me. But in the absence of some sunshine, an event, the parks finest attraction and any kind of credible food offering (I didn't even dare to try), yesterday felt like a bit of a low point in terms of my experiences with the park over a 34 year period. And that's saying something as that would have been 2017 beforehand. I know they can't change the weather (and I knew the forecast), I chose a non-event day and Nemesis being closed is for a good reason. But what I'm getting at is if you strip some of this back to the core of what's left, I felt what was on offer wasn't very good, or if the nuts and bolts still are, the presentation and value for money certainly isn't. Other than Alton Manor, I didn't feel compelled to do rerides like normal, despite the short queues, even when the weather dried up. Operations were generally OK and the staff were lovely. Maybe if Hex and the Sky Ride had been open and the food was still edible I may have felt differently? I know if Nemesis was open I would have done my usual last half hour of the day going round and round again until they shut the gates. But I had this feeling that everytime I tapped my bank card on something, they didn't deserve my custom. I was just there because "it's Alton Towers". It still has the same name as when I was a kid. It still has that location, that back drop, that stature.

Promises of posh new developments and change is in the air. But so much regression. It was an exciting time when Nemesis opened back in 1994. It felt like a new standard had been set - bright, exciting new era for the park. 30 years later and it's re-opening feels more like a Swansong. A love letter to the past. The final encore. The great finale.

Superb, I wouldn’t change a single word if I was writing it myself.

Does the park feel better than 10 years ago? No.

Is it line with equivalent parks in Europe and the US? No

Wether it’s the weather, the lack of a long term plan or general inability to run a theme park well. The place just looks and hence feels tired, worn and far far past it’s best.

The inevitable yearly over marketed, head office garbage fire they are unloading onto the place, with no long term planning. No investment outside the initial hardware. No asset management has gone on and on and on.

I arrive at the park and grumble at the crap roads and badly laid/lit pathways. In no way traversable for families with prams etc (walking behind nemesis/duel behind a plastic link fence in the mud is crap.

Or become frustrated at the overpainted mural in the monorail, the mish mash of paths. The tired and worn golf (needs a cover) Then remain equally bemused in the 1980s monorail station, with it’s farcical loading procedure and trains which were past it 15 years ago.

Arrive at the main entrance to a bizarre set of screens that don’t work and toilets full of cobwebs and dirt. Enter to see the lack of cash points, the calamitous queue for the inevitable RAP carnage that awaits.

See the tired facades of towers street, unoriginal and uninspiring TST, that makes Woolworths feel like an Apple Store. Or the awful, pointless wallet emptying box office, the cash point alternative…

Find no decent place to grab some food, but there is a teachers lounge…which looks like something from Grange Hill in the 70s. A perfect location for a premium food offering, overlooked in the name of a race to the bottom.

But at least the fountains work…

Feel immersed in mutiny bay to the sound of games machines and the waft of donuts. Sadly a quick walk around Sharkbait still remains a highlight in most visits. And probably the best filler attraction on park.

Wicker man remains the best thing the park have put in for 20 years. The only thing in the same conversation with what was Nemesis. A damning indictment of asset planning.

Enter Katanga canyon and try and see some boats, peering over the 30ft high fences. As though people’s willingness to jump them has changed in the past 10 years. It looks and feels awful.

Walk past a hut now filled with drinks machines? Joy

The RMT, again made worse by the removal of head choppers and the ridiculous games stall. The rapids, waterfall-less, wave less. Charm-less. All in yellow boats. Again worse.

Gloomy Wood & TCAAM are a back to being a genuine highlight. How long will it stay working? 1 season? 2? MMM should be immensely proud and demand long term creative control over other areas but I’m afraid operations will let them down. Them assessing the “quality” of all the experiences at Alton would be a worthwhile exercise.

Past another hut, I assume shuttered or awful?

FV, tired theming. Failing music. An arcade that really is past its use by date now. All of them are. Walk past a terrible closed attraction which I’m willing to bet has had no meaningful change to make it significantly better sadly. It needed 500k spending on it (graphics/lighting/story/animatronic or effects in the pit) I live in hope. Get this right and things may of turned a corner.

See the closed food outlets in FV, skyride still shut terrible flat ride and galactica…well…it feels worse than air. To look at, experience. It’s worse. I’d rather they kept air. Tidied it up and maybe added some smoke or water effects externally. “Plussing” rides is what Alton needs, instead they all go backwards. And yes you can’t market “plussing” short term, but long term you don’t have a crap product and crap reviews.

Leaving over the valley see the under-utilised conservatory, rotting Swiss Cottage and overgrown gardens. It’s a state. Again worse than 10-15 years ago. Criminally underused.

Head in to the towers, if you can, find another woefully under used asset. No history like Warwick castle, another possible attraction, left to rot. Hex won’t be open, but then would you want to see the crap projector, failing effects, terrible audio and failing ride system?

A trip to dark forest and scaffolding land awaits, a mish mash of garish themes, no filler rides and an overall dead area. Despite allegedly big rides. Again ride thirteen with it’s farcical operational procedure and crumbling station. There’s no shop anymore. If you’re lucky you could get some overpriced terrible food with nowhere to sit.

On the way out why not stop at woodcutters to enjoy some food even Wetherspoons would be embarrassed to serve? If I was Alton management I’d get in my car, drive into Alton village and plead for the team at Alton Bridge pub to come and run a new restaurant in the Swiss Cottage. Whatever it costs.

Perhaps pay to go on the dungeons ride, or did you think you paid on entry to go on the rides? We’ll think again. Another ride worse the CATCF which itself was worse than Toyland Tours (notice a theme)

Enter Walliams land, and see the already deserted GG. Again, somehow still a highlight of recent trips. With its peeling walls, leaking roof and wooden airgates…a area which isn’t as good as Cred St and arguably CCL. A driving school in an awful place, in a area that feels like the back end of and abandoned shopping centre. Aimless, pointless, soulless.

Meanwhile Peppa Pig World and Thomas Land are printing money. And good for them as Alton’s offering is garbage.

Walk round to X Sector, past the terrible Smiler queue. Narrow path, ruining an iconic view. See more games and arcades. Enter the oblivion queue and admire the ruins…again a ride which is/feels worse than it was 10 years ago. Operationally a state. Tired trains and it shows.

You could always go into the brutalist b&q that is the smiler. An attraction falling to bits in front of your very eyes. Figuratively and literally. An awful place to be in every sense of the word.

Then there’s spinball, a guaranteed family/thrill good time. Stripped of its fun soundtrack, filled with tired surroundings and I assume the queue line games still.

If you’re lucky you can rid the rides 11am till 3pm. May be stop in the hotels for £550 a night…

The place has lot it’s way. If it wasn’t for fireworks year before last I don’t think I’d be rushing back. The events have been the only thing keeping the place ticking over. I’m afraid, still, the place needs some new people/ideas/principles as currently it’s been let down, for a long time. And the business model has caught up with it.

The strive for excellence is just words. It needs to go back to basics, and reassess what the place is.

Aiming to be the best theme park in the UK/Europe? Because at the moment it’s not even in the conversation, which is a very very sad place to be.

The park is lost between a theme park and amusement park, that’s badly run with a business model that wants to pretend it’s Disney with none of the principles, investment or strategy. They know what good looks like, it’s Disney or Europa Park. See how Alton and EPs numbers diverged in the 00s. Quality of quantity all day. When your maintenance is light years behind a provincial, regional family park. You’ve got a very steep hill to climb.

Last edited:
Yesterday (Tuesday 9 May 2023) was my second visit of the season, after a trip for opening day which was quite disappointing in terms of the entire experience of the day.

I did not stay over and so made the 120-odd mile there and 120-odd mile back journey in a day.

Availability and operations were generally good, and I got on almost everything that I arrived a - I was certainly grateful for Alton Manor when there was a thunderstorm in the afternoon! My only disappointment was that Galactica was closed as I left the park, but I had ridden it earlier in the day and wasn't overly bothered.

I felt quite sad, and a little embarrassed, at the general state of the place. There really is no other way to summarise it than I feel guests are being exploited for the money they bring. I know that's the literal point of business, I'm not stupid, but there are better ways to extort people when you're promising Britain's best day out.

I feel like the place literally shouts their true intention at guests during every part of their day.

Arrive at the gates - UPCHARGE FOR PRIORITY PARKING BUT THE ROADS ARE AWFUL
Arrive at the monorail - WE TRIED TO TART THIS UP TEND YEARS AGO
Arrive through the turnstiles - UPCHARGE FOR LITERALLY ANYTHING WE CAN (staff hawking god-knows-what as soon as you get in)
Arrive at a ride - FILTHY AND UNLOVED (if it's working) BUT WE HAVE YOUR MONEY SO WE DON'T CARE
Arrive at another ride - REPEAT AS ABOVE
Arrive at third ride - CLOSED. WE'RE NOT GREAT AT THIS. SOZ.
Venture for food - EXPENSIVE, LOW QUALITY AND OF NO NUTRITIONAL VALUE. WANNA SIT DOWN? IT WILL TAKE AN HOUR AT LEAST!!
Pop for a comfort break - OLD INFRASTRUCTURE WE TRIED TO PAINT
Scout for a chocolate/savoury snack - OVERPRICED HAHA CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DIDN'T BRING YOUR OWN
Contemplate an alcohol beverage - YOU NEED A MORTGAGE - £7.55 FOR A MAGNERS BOTTLE OR £9.80 FOR A LARGE WINE
Leave the park - DON'T FORGET TO PAY TO RELEASE YOUR VEHICLE WHICH IS THE THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN GET HERE

I forgave many of the flaws yesterday as I got on everything I wanted to. I was, however, disappointed with the presentation of most attractions; The Smiler, Spinball, Galactica & Dark Forest all feel like they desperately need some attention.

This is not a premier park. This is not Britain's best day out. There is no magic. There is no escapism.

It's an offering built on a foundation of previous good hardware purchases that has coasted along for too many years without aspiration to be the pinnacle of excellence. Time to step it up and deliver a product that matches the high prices and (currently inaccurate) marketing claims

I think we're all forgetting that the lack of genuine competition over the past many years has meant the park has gotten away with many questionable things in which I do wonder if they still would had happened had the UK theme park industry still been competitive.

We do see glimpses of greatness in Alton Manor and Nemesis 2.0 but they are just a view through a keyhole at what might’ve been for the park. If both Drayton and Paulton's both start to become more serious rivals to the Merlin parks, I do wonder how Merlin will cope if they get actual competition which when you think about is an alien concept for them.

Knowing Merlin, they'll end up doing something stupid to try and counter this which be honest, you can see this happening.

Yesterday (Tuesday 9 May 2023) was my second visit of the season, after a trip for opening day which was quite disappointing in terms of the entire experience of the day.

I did not stay over and so made the 120-odd mile there and 120-odd mile back journey in a day.

Availability and operations were generally good, and I got on almost everything that I arrived a - I was certainly grateful for Alton Manor when there was a thunderstorm in the afternoon! My only disappointment was that Galactica was closed as I left the park, but I had ridden it earlier in the day and wasn't overly bothered.

I felt quite sad, and a little embarrassed, at the general state of the place. There really is no other way to summarise it than I feel guests are being exploited for the money they bring. I know that's the literal point of business, I'm not stupid, but there are better ways to extort people when you're promising Britain's best day out.

I feel like the place literally shouts their true intention at guests during every part of their day.

Arrive at the gates - UPCHARGE FOR PRIORITY PARKING BUT THE ROADS ARE AWFUL
Arrive at the monorail - WE TRIED TO TART THIS UP TEND YEARS AGO
Arrive through the turnstiles - UPCHARGE FOR LITERALLY ANYTHING WE CAN (staff hawking god-knows-what as soon as you get in)
Arrive at a ride - FILTHY AND UNLOVED (if it's working) BUT WE HAVE YOUR MONEY SO WE DON'T CARE
Arrive at another ride - REPEAT AS ABOVE
Arrive at third ride - CLOSED. WE'RE NOT GREAT AT THIS. SOZ.
Venture for food - EXPENSIVE, LOW QUALITY AND OF NO NUTRITIONAL VALUE. WANNA SIT DOWN? IT WILL TAKE AN HOUR AT LEAST!!
Pop for a comfort break - OLD INFRASTRUCTURE WE TRIED TO PAINT
Scout for a chocolate/savoury snack - OVERPRICED HAHA CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DIDN'T BRING YOUR OWN
Contemplate an alcohol beverage - YOU NEED A MORTGAGE - £7.55 FOR A MAGNERS BOTTLE OR £9.80 FOR A LARGE WINE
Leave the park - DON'T FORGET TO PAY TO RELEASE YOUR VEHICLE WHICH IS THE THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN GET HERE

I forgave many of the flaws yesterday as I got on everything I wanted to. I was, however, disappointed with the presentation of most attractions; The Smiler, Spinball, Galactica & Dark Forest all feel like they desperately need some attention.

This is not a premier park. This is not Britain's best day out. There is no magic. There is no escapism.

It's an offering built on a foundation of previous good hardware purchases that has coasted along for too many years without aspiration to be the pinnacle of excellence. Time to step it up and deliver a product that matches the high prices and (currently inaccurate) marketing claims

I agree with a lot of this, particularly the ride cleanliness and availability but at times I do think people are conflating their (understandable) issues with the park with what is just fairly normal practice.

As an example, £7.55 for a large Magners in a theme park isn’t particularly expensive, if you want expensive, try 16 dollars for a can of Stella at Universal Studios - and yes, obviously the caveat there is the standard is hugely different at those two parks but I do think that people need to ask what it is that they’re actually expecting and to provide some examples of where they feel that this expectation is being met.

I’ve been critical of Merlin for years, when I have a moment I’ll give a proper reply to this thread as it does deserve it but I’ll I’m driving at is that I do think there’s an element of bias here in that we’re taking what are actually fairly normal (for a theme park) practices and using them a examples of Merlin exploiting their customers.

Been thinking about this as I returned to work yesterday after having yet another fall out with some "higher ups". To the point where my boss has told me to reign it in a little. He gets the passion, but apparently I'm upsetting people in the way I challenge (which behaviourally, I do need to take on board). 2 years ago, I worked for a much more demanding business where acceptance levels were far lower than my current employer who has more of a "ah well, there's always next time" kind of attitude. It frustrates me as I was brought up in a work environment where the paying customer is king and there is never a point where the mission is accomplished.

Although I don't work in the leisure industry, I do know a lot of former colleagues who have gone into hospitality. MSA's, hotels, catering and events, transport, wholesale, franchise management, that sort of thing and the mentality seems to be similar. Constantly walking, seeing things, inspecting. Standing back thinking "is this good enough for paying guests/customers/clients?". With dwindling resources, it's becoming harder to do, but there's always scraps of paper on my desk with lists of things to do with absolutely no plan of how to achieve them. They don't go into the bin until everything has been done, by which time another 1 or 2 have been written. If something needs cleaning, fixing, painting, moving, remerchandising or whatever, it's there and we just find a way. This could be as complex as putting a long term solution in place for a recurring problem. Or something simple like getting someone to stand under a speaker whilst I fiddle with the base on the audio system or slightly adjust spot lights so they hit the exact right spot. But either way, if something isn't right, it's likely I already know about it and it's on my agenda.

So if we park bigger issues at Towers that cost a lot of money to fix, I can't think of many excuses as to why certain things are like they are. Is the mold on the wall in the Smiler station on someone's list? Who is inspecting stations and queue lines and dishing out quick cleaning and painting jobs? Why have various people been pointing out the audio bleed of 2 tracks in Katanga Canyon for weeks on this forum yet not a single person at the park has done anything about it? 2 seasons ago I noticed a Del Monte man style hat on the roof of the vending machine building in the Galactica queue which could clearly be seen when walking down the queue line, yet in an online Vlog posted a week later the hat was still there. There's someone stood at the entrance to the Smiler all day, so why then is the entrance archway dirty around the edges where it meets the floor? I'm not the only one who's noticed the Towers Lounge sign is wonky am I surely?

This is what worries me when talk of huge £multi million investments are used to theorise that the park is turning a corner into some bright future. Some of this stuff costs very little or nothing at all. On a quiet day, someone could clean that god awful shelter in the Galactica extended queue that's been minging for the last couple of years in half an hour. It seems to me it's acceptance levels that are the problem.

As a big cheese once told me when he was kicking me round a store and I promised to get an issue he was grilling me for dealt with straight away - "You sorting it out because I've just pointed it out to you isn't the point I'm making. Over 100 people work here, you have 8 managers reporting to you and they walk past this regularly. Someone knows that's there, they've just chosen to accept it. That's the culture you lead, so therefore it's now become your acceptance level".

One of the big frustrations I have at our work is the only time we ever see upper management give a toss is when we have an audit, otherwise they seem to spend all day in meetings.

I get the feeling this is why many of the Merlin parks are the way they are, I don't think anyone is really held accountable or has taken ownership of the presentation of the ride areas and nobody at Merlin HQ is that bothered either.

I went yesterday for the 1st time this yr and i didnt have any complaints.

The monorail building looked ok a lil tired inside but the operations were good with the speed of loading and unloading. Same for the return journey.

Never really noticed anywhere that looked untidy. A couple of large puddles in queue lines making it hard to progress without getting ur feet soaked but we did have spells of heavy rain so not the parks fault.

The queues were light. Walked onto everyride. Wickerman on a 3 train operation. All the effects working. Oblivion had the steam on and the curse was all working inside.

The music around the park was good,

The food prices were a lil pricey but thats what you expect. Try eating and drinking at the O2 in London thats pricey.

With discount paid 5.80ish for a medium glass of wine which is reasonable.

Overall a really enjoyable day out and cant wait for mardi gras for our next visit.

It's with sadness that I have to say I agree with many of the forum regulars in respect of the sub-standard state of the park.

I went into the SRQ at Smiler which was in an absolute state. Puddles everywhere, black mould on the walls, the ground, the stairs and the ceiling which was dripping with water. I sort of headbutted those strips of plastic sheet [that you find at the butcher's, no really] and hot-footed it upstairs so I wouldn't have to touch anything. I've since been to AT four times and avoided Smiler altogether on all of those occasions.

It gotten so bad across the park, that I couldn't wait for my annual pass to expire [which it now has done]. I have absolutely no plans to renew.

AT has become the sort of park where you use vouchers from a newspaper to visit for free because that is the product Merlin have allowed AT to become.

I even have a "free" visit accrued from credit card points -- which I can barely muster the enthusiasm to use.

We might be on the precipice of seeing a key indicator on whether or not "New Merlin" has indeed stepped out of the shadow of Old Merlin.

I think whatever happens with replacing the Retro Squad at Alton and Angry Birds at Thorpe will give us a good indication on whether the company's ambition (and more importantly budgets) actually match the positive noises that we've heard coming out of parks recently.

Merlin has been pretty consistent on not giving enough resources to their development projects, so if we were to see half-decent replacements for these closures that would be a good indication that maybe Merlin has actually loosened the purse strings enough to have a properly positive impact on their parks.

I'm pretty optimistic about the flat-ride situation at Towers (and investments in general). Given that they've advertised the Retro Squad rides closure, I would guess something is in the pipeline. It would be rather odd to make an announcement of these flats being removed if nothing were planned.

I'm pretty optimistic about the flat-ride situation at Towers (and investments in general). Given that they've advertised the Retro Squad rides closure, I would guess something is in the pipeline. It would be rather odd to make an announcement of these flats being removed if nothing were planned.
I hope there’s something coming to fill the gaps but at the same time I wouldn’t be surprised.

That said we went on Funk n Fly for the first (and I guess last) time this weekend and I do think if they did a bit of theming and got rid of the cheesy music they could have it fit in somewhere - for young ones it’s a pretty intense and fun ride. Like Flavio’s in David Williams land - classic fairground ride at every single fair everywhere but it works well enough where it is.

Would be interesting if they brought a ripsaw-analogue back and turned forbidden valley back in time..

No problem if they only replaced Ripsaw next year. Say mid season before the school holidays as a second attendance bump (see Sub Terra)

With a second one opening mid 2025 in X Sector.

Third in 2026 in Dark Forest with an accompanying re-theme.

Do a deal with Intamin/Gerst/Huss for 3 like they used to with B&M.

Also, turning a corner? I’m amazed they’ve not breached heritage agreements or listed status given the state they’ve allowed the gardens to get into.

Utterly shameful for the cost of a proper gardening team

976725b2303c590e648893aaf0423c7c.png

f3f585aca414600daaa8ffc0bf4f8047.png

735155f23ce2d5ad8c6503c9288ae5b9.png

Last edited:
It's not at all surprising to see the gardens in such an overgrown state. You can probably count the number of gardeners Alton Towers employ on one hand, and they have a huge estate to look after.

A great pity as when at their best the gardens are very special.

It's not at all surprising to see the gardens in such an overgrown state. You can probably count the number of gardeners Alton Towers employ on one hand, and they have a huge estate to look after.

A great pity as when at their best the gardens are very special.
It’s a real shame- on a few recent visits I’ve been disappointed at the state. Even like the number of reeds left to grow in the Pagoda fountain which was only refurbed a couple of years ago!
It’s a shame as well as I think during covid that had it in a good state- especially when they could only open the gardens and not the rides.
I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again the gardens has so much potential to unlock another type of visitor to the park. I’m sure they could find some local volunteers to help like they do at National Trust properties.

I would argue those pictures don't show issues with gardening, its the structures that look worse, the bridge needs a full repaint. The gardens while bushier than originally laid out look OK.

I doubt the planning department would do anything. They've completely given up on the plan to have visitor access to the Towers for the last couple of years. They're a disgrace.

We'll actually be 4 flats down come the end of the season, potentially 5 if Flavios goes with the RS, as Enterprise has gone as well.

This season they've opened a B&M at Chessington and a whole new area along with it. They've done a decent job of Alton Manor and reopened Sub-Terra.

Next season, there will effectively be a brand new B&M at Alton with Nemesis, a new Mack hyper at Thorpe and an indoor coaster that could potentially be an RMC begining construction at Towers. Whacking some paint around the Angry Birds area and renaming a few rides with a new 4d show at Thorpe doesn't really count as I don't think anyone expects much more than IP expiration work to take place.

To replace the fairground flats with some sort of permanent additions is therefore highly unlikely. That's not being negative, it's just not feasible, therefore I don't think these flats should have just been removed all in 1 go. Where would the money come from? You'd be looking at early 90's style levels of investment, it just won't happen.

If all the following happens next season at the same time, then I will happily eat my words, admit I've got it all wrong, and will become a disciple of the happy smiley "give them a chance" club, and do a (feasible) forfeit of this forums choosing:

- Hex reopens
- Sky Ride reopens.
- Sub Terra remains open.
- A net gain of 3 new permanent and coherently themed, non-upcharge attractions open (excluding Nemesis from this number or anything that's already opened this season) with anything else that may close being replaced (example, Flavios goes but the cinema reopens in it's place, or the Dungeons are rethemed and become free).
- Nothing else gets painted job lot purple.

I remember going for locals during the pandemic when only the gardens was open and feeling bitterly disappointed at the state of the place. Whether it was left to overrun over Covid and they’ve not cut it back I’m not sure.

We’ll find out over the closed season, but surely the gardens are listed?

Hopefully we might see another long term development plan from the park given all the changes at the park and Merlin.

It'd be nice to see some indication that they're taking a more strategic, long term approach to investments going forward.