Universal Studios Japan: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rest of the World Parks and Attractions' started by BigAl, 4th Dec 2012.

1. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Which patent?

There was one recently for a rollercoaster with a stick on it with the car on, so it can look like your ride vehicle "jumps" gaps in the track and similar. That is almost certainly being used for the Donkey Kong ride.

Posted 8th Feb 2021
  2. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Thanks for those. The combination of the themed sets and the screens work really well, and even in the POV you can see how the AR really adds to the ride experience. Like most dark rides, you will have to ride it to really appreciate just how good (or not) it is.

I'm impressed with the tech and the effects. I was just expecting more from the ride system which is a tad basic.

Tim likes this.
    Posted 8th Feb 2021
  3. Rojo

Rojo TowersStreet Member

Matt N likes this.
    Posted 8th Feb 2021
  4. pluk

pluk TowersStreet Member

That's a big ol' mess, isn't it?

The way the vehicle constantly drifts out from side to side in an apparent attempt to give the illusion of skidding, while travelling along at about 0.5mph, is laughable. Even when the otherwise decent effect of the floor rushing underneath is used there are still big static theming elements on the surroundings which sure destroy any illusion of speed?

Posted 8th Feb 2021
  5. James

James TS Founding Member

I think once all the elements come together, you probably don't notice the speed (since it's all interactive you're probably too distracted to care or notice).... on the first ride at least. I would guess on re-rides that is when the illusion starts to fall apart and you notice you're crawling around. Wrong ride system.

The theming is great however, good use of physical theming and effects. Not too 'digitised' which I like.

Posted 8th Feb 2021
  6. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

I just find it really odd they’ve gone for a tracked ride and not a trackless ride. Especially for a ride when you are meant to be racing each other.

Even keeping it in the same style as the ride is now, with a trackless ride you could do so much more with it, and you wouldn’t know where you are heading.

Benjsh and Rojo like this.
    Posted 9th Feb 2021
  7. siralgenon

siralgenon TowersStreet Member

Because I'm not a Nintendo fan (although I do like playing Mario Kart) I can't say I've been too fussed about the development of Super Nintendo World, however I thought the theming around the land and Kooper's Challenge is amazing. I too expected the ride to be more of a thrill ride with fast paced sections but I understand what they've gone for, however l don't understand why they went for that ride system. It would have been much better using the Ratatouille ride system with the two cars crossing over each other like a real race as opposed to being side by side.
    So Theming 10/10 - Ride System 3/10 - Overall 9/10

On the other hand, Yoshi's Adventure... what is the point of that. I don't know what I was expecting, I knew it was a slow moving omnimover which is fine but there's literally nothing to look at?! At the time where it goes into the building I was expecting it to be the start of the indoor section after the outdoor build up but it turns out that's the station and its all over! 2/10.

8. Benjsh

Benjsh TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I was expecting this new Mario Kart attraction to be as mind blowing and ground breaking as Forbidden Journey was for Wizarding world.

Obviously it's hard to fully judge something without riding it but the videos simply don't look that great to me. The ride just doesn't feel very Mario Kart at all. It's slow, there's no race elements.

As a big Nintendo fan I'm actually pretty underwhelmed. The area looks good though. They have at least got that right.