• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Studios Japan: General Discussion

Perhaps we all had an expectation of something a bit more lively thanks to that patent we saw Universal file a few years ago.

Which patent?

There was one recently for a rollercoaster with a stick on it with the car on, so it can look like your ride vehicle "jumps" gaps in the track and similar. That is almost certainly being used for the Donkey Kong ride.

Thanks for those. The combination of the themed sets and the screens work really well, and even in the POV you can see how the AR really adds to the ride experience. Like most dark rides, you will have to ride it to really appreciate just how good (or not) it is.

I'm impressed with the tech and the effects. I was just expecting more from the ride system which is a tad basic.

Reactions: Tim
That's a big ol' mess, isn't it?

The way the vehicle constantly drifts out from side to side in an apparent attempt to give the illusion of skidding, while travelling along at about 0.5mph, is laughable. Even when the otherwise decent effect of the floor rushing underneath is used there are still big static theming elements on the surroundings which sure destroy any illusion of speed?

I think once all the elements come together, you probably don't notice the speed (since it's all interactive you're probably too distracted to care or notice).... on the first ride at least. I would guess on re-rides that is when the illusion starts to fall apart and you notice you're crawling around. Wrong ride system.

The theming is great however, good use of physical theming and effects. Not too 'digitised' which I like.

I just find it really odd they’ve gone for a tracked ride and not a trackless ride. Especially for a ride when you are meant to be racing each other.

Even keeping it in the same style as the ride is now, with a trackless ride you could do so much more with it, and you wouldn’t know where you are heading.

Because I'm not a Nintendo fan (although I do like playing Mario Kart) I can't say I've been too fussed about the development of Super Nintendo World, however I thought the theming around the land and Kooper's Challenge is amazing. I too expected the ride to be more of a thrill ride with fast paced sections but I understand what they've gone for, however l don't understand why they went for that ride system. It would have been much better using the Ratatouille ride system with the two cars crossing over each other like a real race as opposed to being side by side.
So Theming 10/10 - Ride System 3/10 - Overall 9/10

On the other hand, Yoshi's Adventure... what is the point of that. I don't know what I was expecting, I knew it was a slow moving omnimover which is fine but there's literally nothing to look at?! At the time where it goes into the building I was expecting it to be the start of the indoor section after the outdoor build up but it turns out that's the station and its all over! 2/10.

I was expecting this new Mario Kart attraction to be as mind blowing and ground breaking as Forbidden Journey was for Wizarding world.

Obviously it's hard to fully judge something without riding it but the videos simply don't look that great to me. The ride just doesn't feel very Mario Kart at all. It's slow, there's no race elements.

As a big Nintendo fan I'm actually pretty underwhelmed. The area looks good though. They have at least got that right.

According to RCDB, Universal Studios Japan has begun construction on a roller coaster being added as an expansion to Super Nintendo World: https://rcdb.com/19528.htm

Apparently, the ride is speculated to be themed to Donkey Kong, and in terms of what it’s going to be; rumours suggest a “Boom Coaster”, a new type of ride patented by Universal where instead of being mounted to the track it appears you’re riding on, the wheels are mounted to another track below you, in order to give the illusion of you jumping over gaps in the track like Donkey Kong does in the DK games. Here’s the patent: https://patents.google.com/patent/US10315120B2/en

Certainly sounds interesting, don’t you think? I’m intrigued to see how this one pans out, for sure…

According to RCDB, Universal Studios Japan has begun construction on a roller coaster being added as an expansion to Super Nintendo World: https://rcdb.com/19528.htm

Apparently, the ride is speculated to be themed to Donkey Kong, and in terms of what it’s going to be; rumours suggest a “Boom Coaster”, a new type of ride patented by Universal where instead of being mounted to the track it appears you’re riding on, the wheels are mounted to another track below you, in order to give the illusion of you jumping over gaps in the track like Donkey Kong does in the DK games. Here’s the patent: https://patents.google.com/patent/US10315120B2/en

Certainly sounds interesting, don’t you think? I’m intrigued to see how this one pans out, for sure…
Certainly seems interesting. Clearly there's not much information about it however I do have some questions.
  • Who's going to build it? Intamin? To me Intamin seems like the only one who would do something like this. Also Universal seems to be working with Intamin a lot so makes it even more likely.
  • What on earth is this going to ride like? It seems like it'll be about the weirdest ride experience on a coaster developed in a long time.
  • It seems to me the vehicles only seem two people (that's if I am seeing the plans correctly how are they going to get high enough capacity out of it?
It looks like a really cool idea and I'm looking forward to seeing more about it in the coming months.

Certainly seems interesting. Clearly there's not much information about it however I do have some questions.
  • Who's going to build it? Intamin? To me Intamin seems like the only one who would do something like this. Also Universal seems to be working with Intamin a lot so makes it even more likely.
  • What on earth is this going to ride like? It seems like it'll be about the weirdest ride experience on a coaster developed in a long time.
  • It seems to me the vehicles only seem two people (that's if I am seeing the plans correctly how are they going to get high enough capacity out of it?
It looks like a really cool idea and I'm looking forward to seeing more about it in the coming months.
I’d heard rumours of Mack Rides for the manufacturer, but I’m honestly not 100% sure.

As for the vehicles; that shown in the patent may just be one row of a longer car/train, to give an idea of how the ride system works. It’s Universal; throughput will have been part of the thought process here!

The same ride is going in at epic universe and was originally planned to go into the studios part as Universal Orlando before they switched the land to epic universe. There was a video a few years ago of them testing the ride system. The below video from a few weeks ago shows the test footage and also the layout and model etc. Don't think it was mack though, the test footage was from Utah, which I believe is where S&S has their test facility.

heard rumours of Mack Rides for the manufacturer, but I’m honestly not 100% sure.
Mack seems somewhat plausible but surprising. Personally, the only other candidate I would have thought of other than Intamin would have been Maurer as they like these weird concepts.
As for the vehicles; that shown in the patent may just be one row of a longer car/train, to give an idea of how the ride system works. It’s Universal; throughput will have been part of the thought process here!
They could well be as for Universal thinking about throughput I assume they have. Especially considering, with a quick google search, you can see they achieve about 14.5 million guests each year to this park.

They could well be as for Universal thinking about throughput I assume they have. Especially considering, with a quick google search, you can see they achieve about 14.5 million guests each year to this park.
Absolutely; to put things into some context, their 36-seater B&M hyper Hollywood Dream has a dual station, and 36-seater B&M hypers have pretty incredible throughputs even without dual stations (I don’t have Hollywood Dream’s throughput to hand, but Silver Star and Apollo’s Chariot are both cited as 1,750pph), so the demand is high for their rides!

Sorry to double post, but the manufacturer is apparently actually Vekoma; due to Vekoma having been purchased by Sansei, the owner of S&S, a couple of years ago, I can only assume that they now share a testing facility in Utah!

I thought most of Vekoma’s prototypes were still tested in the Netherlands, however… maybe it is S&S?

Sorry to double post, but the manufacturer is apparently actually Vekoma; due to Vekoma having been purchased by Sansei, the owner of S&S, a couple of years ago, I can only assume that they now share a testing facility in Utah!

I thought most of Vekoma’s prototypes were still tested in the Netherlands, however… maybe it is S&S?
If Vekoma is the manufacturer it is likely that S&S have collaborated with them on it. It seems S&S and Vekoma share parts for there attractions. Also S&S fairly recently developed single track like the one shown in the patents for there new steeplechase model which they didn't sell any of, so I presume it's very similar to that.

It could well be S&S, I reckon, as the track shown in Alicia's testing video doesn't look very Vekoma in style to me... come to think of it, it doesn't look too dissimilar to Steeplechase-style track!

It could well be S&S, I reckon, as the track shown in Alicia's testing video doesn't look very Vekoma in style to me... come to think of it, it doesn't look too dissimilar to Steeplechase-style track!
Like I say it's probably a collaboration between the two.

Like I say it's probably a collaboration between the two.
Come to think of it, it wouldn't surprise me if Sansei Technologies, the parent manufacturer of the two, was doing it; Sansei have done a fair bit for both Disney & Universal! For instance, I think the new SLoP dark ride in California was done by them!

Come to think of it, it wouldn't surprise me if Sansei Technologies, the parent manufacturer of the two, was doing it; Sansei have done a fair bit for both Disney & Universal! For instance, I think the new SLoP dark ride in California was done by them!
According to RCDB they have made a considerable amount of coasters, almost all of them in Japan, and they don't seem to be to successful at it as very few of them seem to still be operating.
https://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&mk=6923&ii
It seems more likely it'll be a collaboration between all three.
Also were's Wicker Man gone @Matt N ;)