• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Used Ride Spotting!

BigAl

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Forbidden Journey
*closed season topic*

:p

I can't be the only one on here who enjoys looking at rides that are up for sale out there? I found a website this morning with a few good looking rides for sale. All the rides below can be viewed here and links to the individual attractions will be put in the titles of them. :)

'Rampage' from 'Splash Adventure' in Alabama:
47j1csls0qplc1b440tm00.jpg

RCDB Page.

Wooden Coaster | Rampage
Roller Coasters

Manufacturer:Custom Coaster Inc.
Year of manufacturing:1998
Model:park Model
Length:Approx. 85 meter
Width:Approx. 35 meter
Height:Approx. 36 meter
Track length:Approx. 1.060 meter
Trains:2 trains each 24 passengers
Availability:Immediately
The ride features a 120-ft (37 m) lift hill with a 102 ft (31 m) first drop. It reaches a top speed of 56 mph (90 km/h). The ride features 9 crossovers and 13 curves. Trains are manufactured at Philadelphia Toboggan Coaster Inc.

Rampage Wooden Roller Coaster Front Seat POV Alabama Adventure Visionland

I love the ending of this ride! :D

There are a few from Loudoun Castle too (there are potentially more but I only recognise the S&S tower and their two coasters :p ):

Gold Rush:
73io00b8tf06mdb29691u7.jpg

RCDB Page.

Gold Rush - Zierer Bob
Roller Coasters

Manufacturer:Zierer Karussell- und Spezialmaschienbau GmbH
Year of manufacturing:1975
Model:Semi park
TÜV:TüV documentation available
Length:28 meter
Width:28 meter
Height:8 meter
Cabins:4 cars for each 2 passengers
Hourly capacity:Approx. 250 passengers
Power usage:35 kW
The Gold Rush has been completely refurbished in 2009. A new control system and new themed cars have been installed.

(not the best video)
the gold rush new ride loudon castle

Twist & Shout:

4171g2ls0qplc1fo04kc00.jpg

RDCB Page.

Looping Star
Roller Coasters

Manufacturer:Schwarzkopf
Year of manufacturing:1983
Model:Semi park model (base frame)
TÜV:TüV documentation and ADIPS available
Length:Approx. 65 meter
Width:Approx. 28,5 meter
Height:Approx. 18,5 meter
Track length:Approx. 554 meter
Trains:1 train
Seats:24 passengers
Hourly capacity:Approx. 900 passengers
Power usage:3 X 250 amps, 380/415 volt 50 Hz
Nice Looping Coaster in good condition. The train on Looping Star uses a single lap bar to hold riders in the seat. This design works, because the forces from the loop and helices press passengers in their seats. As the train goes up the lift hill and into the drop, it goes into a large vertical loop, and then into multiple 180-degree helices. Then the ride goes around a large 180-degree helix and then into a brake run; after two small left turns and a straightaway, the train returns to the station.

Twist and Shout, Loudoun Castle POV

One final ride from Loudoun is their S&S launch tower, 'Barnstormer':

barnstormer.JPG

Double Shot - Tower
Major Rides

Manufacturer:S&S Worldwide, Inc.
Year of manufacturing:2002
Model:park model with steel base frame
Length:Approx. 8,5 meter
Width:Approx. 8,5 meter
Height:Approx. 36 meter
Seats:12
Hourly capacity:Approx. 480 passengers
The Double Shot launches 12 passengers nearly 80 feet through two cycles of positive 3-G and negative 1-G experiences.

Double Shot earns its name from the extra shot that riders experience during the initial descent.

There's also a couple of Vekoma Boomerangs up for grabs! Yellow or white? Or maybe you'd prefer a Schwarzkopf Wildcat? I've noticed a few of these knocking around on the Internet.

Two Huss flats caught my attention. There's not only an Enterprise available, but also one of their Condor rides too! Just in case anyone isn't familiar with that last one:

arrow_huss_condor_697.jpg

This Mondial 'Galleon 54' and Vekoma 'Sky Shuttle' caught my eye as well. Both of them look really nice in my opinion.

So if anyone else finds any interesting old rides that are for sale, please post them here. :)

Rampage (1998) is the sister ride of Megafobia (1996), same company. They're almost clones. :)

Hmm, that first drop did look familiar when I watched the POV of it for the first time! :p

It is indeed! Believe it or not, according to RCDB it actually started out at Trentham Gardens before it went down the road to Alton Towers. RCDB then says it went to Pleasure Island and then went on to operate at Flamingo Land as 'Flying Trapeze'. Before it finally arrived at Loudoun Castle, it got sent to Grove Land in Wales (only existed for four seasons) under the new name 'Thunderbolt'.

This is from Grove Land's RCDB page for Thunderbolt:
The electrics were completely renewed and brought up to date by Gerstlauer of Germany.
The braking system went back to Zierer to be completely reworked by their workshops.
The tracks and pylons were all completely refurbished and brought back to the original standard. Then blasted and painted.
The cars were stripped down to their components, renewed, refurbished and a new design was then incorporated for the rebuild. This new design is of a mine car and incorporates a new safety feature. A lap bar system.
Once it was erected the ride was subjected to the most scrupulous examination by TÜV and was certificated for use.

Interesting stuff!

Cant believe them 3 main rides are still sitting up at Loudoun Castle...

But in saying that, I guess they dont update the website very often, as the Black Pearl from Loudoun Castle is still on there...

The Rampage situation is a crying shame. Like so many CCI coasters such as Villain, Mega Zeph and Diana Beach Hurricane, its life has been unjustly cut short. I don't think it will get a second chance. As soon as a wooden coaster becomes indefinitely SBNO or its park closes down, it's pretty much doomed. Wooden coasters cost so much to relocate, you might as well just buy a new one and usually, that's exactly what parks opt to do. It just seems like a massive waste really and it's a symbol of how ruthless the industry can be.

Conversely, the steel coaster market in the UK is really exciting right now. I really hope that Twist and Shout and Knightmare find a home.

It is a shame indeed. It's a pity there isn't a park like Knoebels that want to rescue it. They saved Phoenix from Playland Park in 1985 because they couldn't afford a brand new wooden coaster at the time and thought it'd be a shame to see it get scrapped. There's still some time though. Knoebels didn't have the ride running again until 5 years after Playland Park closed.

Edit: Just found this footage of Loudoun Castle taken by a drone a few months ago which focuses on Twist & Shout, Gold Rush and Barnstormer, besides the ruins and their old swing ride...

Loudoun Castle Theme Park Air Recon - AR Drone 2.0 - Abandoned Scotland

Such a shame! :(

It's depressing just how much Loudoun Castle reminds me of a 1980's Alton. If they had been taken over by a company like Tussauds at the same time Alton was it could have been a similar success story.

Back on topic, you'd be surprised just how cheap second hand rides can be. When one of my local parks (The Village) closed they auctioned everything off. I managed to find some of the information from that auction and most of the rides sold for less than a thousand pounds, even as low as a couple of hundred, if they sold at all.

I remember regretting not buying one of them at the time as I'd only just bought an Xbox for about the same amount! But there are so many other costs involved. First you need a large enough section of land with the planning rights to build it. Then there is the dismantling, moving and reassembly costs. Plus these were fairly old rides (although well looked after) so maintaining them would cost far more than the sale price. Factor in all this and it’s cheaper to buy something new.

I still haven't spotted the ride yet but someone on Coasterforce seems to think that someone has already shown interest in it. Maybe its future has already been decided? They didn't seem to think it was staying in the UK though. :/

Anyway, there's a selection of rides for sale here: http://www.italintl.com/category.php?category=Roller%20Coasters

And there's also this page which looks to me like one of many sources for the Chinese knock-off Vekoma coasters: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/598505277/_Ali_Brothers_amusement_rides_manufacture.html

I love how they've copied Vekoma's Stingray concept art and put their own "Do not copy" signs over it! :p

Fun fact: two of the rides (or clones of them) listed were originally lined up for Britannia Park, the failed venture which later was used as the basis for The American Adventure.

Condor and Schwarzy Looper

Sommerland Syd / Summerland South in Denmark won't be reopening for the next season after failing to find any investors to help the park. According to the article below, the rides will be sold at auction and the land will follow:
http://www.jv.dk/artikel/1530408:Aabenraa--Soeren-Rask-Larsen-opgiver-kampen--Sommerland-Syd-aabner-ikke-mere

I've had a look at what rides the park operated and it appears they have a Vekoma Invertigo and a Mack Wild Mouse:

jol6548s2v0o1k0016sng5.jpg

fgv3gbm919g00krau0kokg.jpg

They also have a Huss Rainbow and Huss Enterprise:
Rainbow_750x328_2012.jpg

Solhjulet_750x328_2012.jpg

The rest of the rides can be viewed here.

It was only a week or two ago that I suggested a Vekoma Invertigo for Oakwood and now it appears that there might be one up for auction. Weird! :p

The Vekoma Invertigo closed in 2011 and sold to bagatelle in France and opened their in 2012. The wild mouse was leased I think and only there for one season.

Wow, that was fast! :eek: I did wonder why there was one map on their website showing the ride and one that wasn't. :p