• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Virgin Trains lose West Coast Franchise

Ted

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Kondaa
For those unaware, Virgin have lost their West Coast Franchise to the First Group.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19264614

In case you don't know, Virgin Operate trains between London Euston and Glasgow Central via the West Coast Mainline, Serving major towns such as Milton Kenyes, Warrington, Wigan, Preston, Carlise, Birmingham and Coventry for example. They also run services to Liverpool Lime Street, Holyhead in North Wales, Chester, Edinburgh Waverley and Manchester Piccadilly via Stoke-On-Trent, So some people who visit Alton might use this service.

So what are your opinions on this guys? I think is sad that Virgin have lost the franchise, But First Group have got it. They're Known for running most West Country services and the Great Western Main Line (Worst Late Western), Brighton to Bedford line, King's Cross to Peterborough/ King's Lynn and the Sutton Loop in South London/ Surrey (Worst Crapital Disconnect) and Transpennie express in Northern England. They're often criticised for how they run these services ::)

R.I.P Virgin Trains. 1997 - 2012

I use the Virgin service from Piccadilly to Stoke to change for Towers and it is slightly gutting to hear that Virgin have lost out. The upside however is more regular services are promised, but yet I can't see that happening.

A sad day indeed. Virgin was pretty much the only decent TOC left, after the demise of GNER :(

On the upside, First plan to reintroduce direct London to Blackpool services from 2013 onwards! Southerners can finally visit BPB without the hassle of three changes along the way :p

Virgin Trains lose West Coast Franchise

The Psychoaster said:
On the upside, First plan to reintroduce direct London to Blackpool services from 2013 onwards! Southerners can finally visit BPB without the hassle of three changes along the way :p

Yay! Will be easier for me then :)

The Psychoaster said:

3? There's only 1 change of travelling from London Euston. I'd prefer to travel on a lovely Pendo from Euston to Preston then change on a Northern Rail train then to travel on some dirty 40 year old HST that's operating by worst group

Re: Virgin Trains lose West Coast Franchise

Very disappointing news. Will post more once I'm at a computer.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Eddie said:
The Psychoaster said:

3? There's only 1 change of travelling from London Euston. I'd prefer to travel on a lovely Pendo from Euston to Preston then change on a Northern Rail train then to travel on some dirty 40 year old HST that's operating by worst group

The only problem is the line at Blackpool won't be electrified until 2016 so there will only be 1 service per day and that will be using a diesel locomotive. Don't really know about trains but I presume this will be slower?

The Psychoaster said:
The only problem is the line at Blackpool won't be electrified until 2016 so there will only be 1 service per day and that will be using a diesel locomotive. Don't really know about trains but I presume this will be slower?

But until 2016, Pendolinos can't use the line unless hauled by a Diesel Locamotive, Alternatively they can also use a Voyager (Currently used on Non Electrified routes) But knowing First, We'll probably get a HST for the extra service to Blackpool. Those things are in dire need of replacement

I see this as a double edged sword. I love the Virgin trains and I hope that this change won't see them all disused. However, I often do work in London and currently the last train out of Euston to where I need to be leaves at 22:00, which isn't late enough for the majority of the stuff I've done. If they'll have trains running much later, I'd be very happy. I'm not holding my breath though.

The government don't just do these things for a laugh you know, or to irritate you lot/Richard Branson.

They will have weighed up hundreds of different factors in making their decision, including all sorts of data which we're not privy to, and clearly came to the conclusion that First was the best choice. :)

Don't worry. I'm pretty sure the trains will be "later" under First.

Sam said:
The government don't just do these things for a laugh you know, or to irritate you lot/Richard Branson.

They will have weighed up hundreds of different factors in making their decision, including all sorts of data which we're not privy to, and clearly came to the conclusion that First was the best choice. :)
Who are you, and what have you done with Sam?

Trans Pennine were good when I used them, but I don't know about the rest of First.

Virgin are great, but not being a train geek or a regular user, I can't say I'm too fussed as long as First are decent.

So, will first be using Virgin's fleet of Pendolinos and Voyagers, or will they all be replaced with clapped out old HSTs?

DiogoJ42 said:
So, will first be using Virgin's fleet of Pendolinos and Voyagers, or will they all be replaced with clapped out old HSTs?

med_gallery_6899_468_48867.jpg

That looks.... wrong :eek:

I read somewhere that First had invested in their own Pendolinos and that they would also be adding their own 125mph train services onto current routes.

Basically a good proportion of your objections come down to the fact that Virgin is a sexy and exciting brand and First isn't. It seemingly very little to do with their actual services. First offered a lot more money for the contract, so this should be a win for the taxpayer. ::)

Since when are you a supporter of capitalism, Sam? Money should not come in to it at all. It should be about providing the best service possible, not who can slip the government the biggest bribe.

Bring back BR tbh.