• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Virgin Trains lose West Coast Franchise

hobohippie95 said:
Sam said:
Can we use acronyms a little less? I mean, whichever TOC take over the WCML, I'm sure they'll still use the HSTs, even if it's the current TOC of the FGW, they have to be better than DB or SNCF right? ;)
No, because the HST's are currently used on Non Electrified Routes on the ECML, Voyagers are used on the WCML and if the Bi-Mode voyager is a success, then there would be no point in using HST's When the TOC's have trains on lease from the TLC's, so even if the TOC's change in theory, the newer stuff would stay.

I think you're missing the joke ;)

hobohippie95 said:
Sam said:
Can we use acronyms a little less? I mean, whichever TOC take over the WCML, I'm sure they'll still use the HSTs, even if it's the current TOC of the FGW, they have to be better than DB or SNCF right? ;)
No, because the HST's are currently used on Non Electrified Routes on the ECML, Voyagers are used on the WCML and if the Bi-Mode voyager is a success, then there would be no point in using HST's When the TOC's have trains on lease from the TLC's, so even if the TOC's change in theory, the newer stuff would stay.

Speaking of the OTT use of acronyms, these two posts have left my non train expert mind wondering WTF you guys are saying... :p

Trains are just dull coasters with cheap track. So any true theme park geek should be able to understand train lingo with no problems. ;)

Adz95 said:
hobohippie95 said:
Sam said:
Speaking of the OTT use of acronyms, these two posts have left my non train expert mind wondering WTF you guys are saying... :p

right, TOC is train operating company, WCML is wect coast main line, HST's are the intercity 125 trains, FGW is first Great western, DB- are owner of the dutch railways, SNCF are operators of the french railways, ECML is east coast mainline and TLC are train leasing companies who own the trains.

Trolololol. (my italics)

BBC News said:
Virgin Atlantic to fly between Heathrow and Manchester

Virgin Atlantic is to begin a short-haul service between London Heathrow and Manchester from next March.

The airline says its first foray into the UK domestic market will provide competition for British Airways.

It will also provide a regional link for passengers using its long-haul services from Heathrow, it says.

Virgin denied the move was a response to Virgin Rail being told it was losing the West Coast Mainline franchise that covers London to Manchester.

The franchise, held by Virgin since 1997, will be taken on by FirstGroup later this year, the government announced last week.

'Keeping connected'
Virgin Atlantic chief executive Steve Ridgway told the BBC the move was about increasing choice for UK passengers.

"Since BMI was swallowed by BA, competition in domestic routes has disappeared," he said.

BA-owner International Airlines Group bought BMI earlier this year.

By offering access to the international hub Heathrow, the new route was about "keeping Manchester and the North connected with the rest of the world," he added.

The airline says it will operate three daily flights to Manchester using Airbus A319 aircraft from 31 March 2013. Initially, Mr Ridgway said these aircraft would be leased.

Virgin says 650,000 people fly every year from Manchester to London and then connect on to another long-haul flight, and it wants a share of that market.

Mr Ridgway said that Virgin would also be applying for 12 other slots that were being given up by BA following its takeover of BMI, including routes to Aberdeen and Edinburgh.

"Hopefully by next spring we'll be able to start a range of short-haul services to those key markets," he said.

Fuel prices
Manchester Airports Group said Virgin was already a strong carrier at the airport with long-haul routes to Barbados, Orlando and Las Vegas.

"We aim to support our airlines as they look to grow and we hope the success of Virgin's domestic services will lead to further expansion at Manchester," said Ken O'Toole, chief commercial officer at Manchester Airports Group (MAG).

Virgin Atlantic was founded by Sir Richard Branson, and is 49% owned by Singapore Airlines.

Earlier this month it reported an annual loss because of higher fuel prices.

The carrier made a loss of £80m in the 12 months to the end of February, compared with a profit of £18.5m a year earlier.

BA said in a statement that it was "confident that our excellent customer service and great value fares will continue to set the standard in UK short-haul aviation".

Actually the companies that lease trains out are called ROSCOs (Rolling stock operating company)

DiogoJ42 said:
DB is the German train company, not Dutch ;)
I'm not that good with foreign stuff
Poison Tom 96 said:
Actually the companies that lease trains out are called ROSCOs (Rolling stock operating company)
and i knew they had a special name like that but mind went blank, thanks for reminding me :)

Sam said:
Trolololol. (my italics)

BBC News said:
Virgin Atlantic to fly between Heathrow and Manchester...
Lol, that is epic :p. "We can't take people there by train? Well goddamit, we'll fly them then!"

Should First loose the Great Western franchise next year (please God, please...), I look forward to them starting an airline to offer domestic flights from London to Bristol :D

It's a nice gesture. Shame that by the time you have got through airport security, you could have got there already on a train.

Re: Virgin Trains lose West Coast Franchise

If First lose the Great Western region, I will laugh if Virgin get it.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

The four companies which are bidding for the Greater Western franchise are First, Arriva/DB, National Express and Stagecoach.

Out of them, I'm not sure which I'd prefer. :/

Anyway, that's beside the point of this topic.

How the hell can National Express even be allowed to bid after the ECML fiasco?!?

I'm happy to see that First are planning to keep the current concession for using off-peak tickets on peak services with a railcard. (although it is questionable as to how long they will keep this for once the franchise changes come into effect.)

FirstGroup said:
Will railcard holders continue to be able to travel in the peak periods using "Off-Peak" tickets?

Yes, we plan to continue allowing railcard holders to travel on these discounted tickets during peak times.

http://www.firstgroup.com/corporate/our_company/west_coast_FAQ.php

DiogoJ42 said:
How the hell can National Express even be allowed to bid after the ECML fiasco?!?
I have no idea. TBH, I'm thinking that Stagecoach could be the least worst out of the four for the GWML franchise, but not exactly the ideal option.

Eh, like I said earlier Arriva didn't do too bad with CrossCountry - don't think I'd mind them getting it. Though to be honest anything's better than First, or National Express.

I have signed the E Petition which now has almost 50,000 signatures!

:)

Stagecoach run the Midland Mainline through East Midlands Trains and they do a very good job.

They also own 49% of Virgin Trains.

Islander said:
Sam said:
Trolololol. (my italics)

BBC News said:
Virgin Atlantic to fly between Heathrow and Manchester...
Lol, that is epic :p. "We can't take people there by train? Well goddamit, we'll fly them then!"

Should First loose the Great Western franchise next year (please God, please...), I look forward to them starting an airline to offer domestic flights from London to Bristol :D

No they will start a bus route using an L-reg bus going along the bacvk roads between london and bristol.