• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

Then of course you have rides where the clearance envelope is too small, so they just slap a max height on the ride in case some tall idiot tries to grab something as the wizz past. These are the ones that could be avoided in the design stage.
Isn't The Swarm one of these, as it allegedly has a maximum height restriction of 1.95m, doesn't it? It isn't very well enforced, though, as my Dad, who is 1.98m, managed to get on it. Thirteen's 1.96m restriction isn't particularly well enforced, either, as he always gets on that. Spinball's is, though, as he's never allowed on that. Anyway, as Wicker Man doesn't have a max height restriction, he has nothing to worry about.

Considering Galactica, Th13teen, Oblivion & The Smiler have yet to open I don't think wood is the problem.

What I don't understand, however, is why Galactica and Oblivion were running all day but never actually opened. If they were running then the track must have been ice free and the temperatures must have been alright.

I'm not sure. Maybe they weren't confident with what they saw in the testing and didn't want to chance it. I imagine tomorrow they will get most of them open bar Smiler and WM. There's not a cat in hell's chance they are going to take risks given recent history. They will open when they open as it were. Sucks this country. Winter lasts 6 months. I'm emigrating. Hahahaha

Isn't The Swarm one of these, as it allegedly has a maximum height restriction of 1.95m, doesn't it? It isn't very well enforced, though, as my Dad, who is 1.98m, managed to get on it. Thirteen's 1.96m restriction isn't particularly well enforced, either, as he always gets on that. Spinball's is, though, as he's never allowed on that. Anyway, as Wicker Man doesn't have a max height restriction, he has nothing to worry about.
I honestly couldn't say. Swarm's restraints may be a factor in it, but they are probably basing the restriction on a "generic average human shape", so there will always be leeway for those with "normal" sized torsos but long legs. I suppose this is why test seats are a good thing.

Considering Galactica, Th13teen, Oblivion & The Smiler have yet to open I don't think wood is the problem.

What I don't understand, however, is why Galactica and Oblivion were running all day but never actually opened. If they were running then the track must have been ice free and the temperatures must have been alright.

In maintenance mode you can make the ride operate but in automatic it has to operate under certain conditions.

The trains could be taking longer than the minimum circuit time (coasters usually have a clock that ensures the ride isn’t running too slow and will shut down if it is), the trains could be taking too long to stop on the brakes (again if trains over speed through brakes it will shutdown) or they could be getting a lot of phantom signals from sensors around the ride.

Could also be if the catwalks are too icy, they won’t run the ride if they can’t do a safe evac but it wouldn’t stop them testing the systems.

Only tech services will know for sure

Last edited:
So if Wickerman’s shut tomorrow and the park is closed Weds, surely the crap weather will have disappeared by Thursday. . .

Hopefully by then there’ll be no reason for it not to open, but also they might be of the opinion that the further into the week it gets, they might as well just wait for Saturday. That would suck for all of us who are going midweek this week. If its shut Friday I’ll be gutted as I won’t get back there anytime soon

I think it will depend on how much unofficial press coverage they want via pretentious baby vloggers
Going online before the official opening, as to if a soft opening happens.

Just see a photo from theme park world wide and there's hardly any snow left at all around Wickerman. Looks like it could all go by tomorrow so all is not lost.

I'd say it's still unlikely to open but you never know. They are certainly not going to announce its open anyway are they before Saturday's opening ceremony? It will just open if they soft open it. Be interesting to just see the thing anyway. Not been to the park since September.

They did say on FB yesterday though that if rides, including Wicker Man, are ready to open, they will open them. Not sure if Wicker Man will be quite ready for tomorrow, but if it is, by their own words, it should open.

Alton have posted this on their home page. Notice the wording.... TUESDAY MORNING.....

However, it’s unlikely that Wicker Man will open Tuesday morning. Our teams are working hard to clear the snow and ice as soon as possible, and we will keep you updated on when you’ll be able to experience our new thrill ride.

This worries me as I'm between 194-195cm. However I'd say I'm a good 4/5 stone lighter too by looks of him. Never not been able to ride a woodie ever due to my long legs. Be absolutely devastated if I can't ride it when it does eventually open.

I have a funny feeling i'm not going to be able to ride this

I'm only 6 foot but i have long legs....i barely fit on spinball and on rattlesnake at Chessington my knees wouldn't even fit in the seat....i had to ride it sat in the middle with one leg in the left seat and one in the right!

I have a funny feeling i'm not going to be able to ride this

I'm only 6 foot but i have long legs....i barely fit on spinball and on rattlesnake at Chessington my knees wouldn't even fit in the seat....i had to ride it sat in the middle with one leg in the left seat and one in the right!

In general, you can barely fit on Spinball, you should be absolutely fine on Wicker Man.

Fit wise, Colossus is the hardest for me.
Not enough legroom and tight restraint.
Ripsaw was agony on my shoulders, though the spinny one that used to be next to t'ultimate was evil pain, and that also had a height limit...that I was just under.

My hopes have been raised with that message from Towers saying WM wont be running Tuesday MORNING.

Would love for it to open just after lunch. Just hope not too many people go on the off chance but I suspect they might. I'll settle for just the one ride anyway at this stage

*I will pray to the saviour tonight for I want to be chosen*

I rode Wicker Man on Friday evening.

It is excellent.

I was skeptical about the layout, but actually it's solid and great fun. Especially towards the back.

However - the theming. Alton Towers have outdone themselves with this one. It's better themed than pretty much any other woodie.

:)

I wonder if we will be getting an actual ceremony on Saturday with a bit of showmanship. In my opinion, that would really start the rides official opening on a high, especially after the bitter taste left in most people’s mouths after the past few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk