• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

X-Sector Developments (Including Oblivion)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Yes, the problem with bare concrete is it stains so easily. I hope this does not prove to be a problem with The Smiler.

I recently stumbled across an archived website that featured a trip report from about 2001, which commented: "Some people may feel uncomfortable that Oblivion is now grey". This was only three years after the ride opened, that paint must have worn very quickly! I trust the new coat will last much longer.

But X Sector has fared far better aesthetically than Alton Towers' other thrill area - Forbidden Valley. Wow, Nemesis really is hideous now. A thick layer of dirt has clung to the station and moss it growing on its legs. It's mostly neglect on Alton Towers' behalf, but also the fibreglass used to create the monster has proven not to be very durable outdoors...

CoasterCrazyChris said:
electricBlll said:
CoasterCrazyChris said:
Oblivion looks super repainted but everything else still looks very tired.
Well, let's say it is amazing in relation to what it has been for the past decade.

But I agree it looks tired. I think X Sector needs a rather drastic refurbishment sometime in the future, unless the 2013 refresh turns out to be more extensive than expected. Note: I'm talking about some kind of reimagination, NOT a retheme. The Oblivion and Smiler brands are strong enough not to be replaced for the duration of the rides' lifetimes.

However, when you look at the original concept art, there are aspects to X Sector that were dropped or did not materialise with the impact that was intended. Likewise there are many features that have been removed since opening in 1998, which has diluted the coherence of the theme. I am particularly thinking of the Rehydrator which never seemed to work as intended, and the function of Oblivion's queue to falsely "prepare" passengers for their ordeal, which has been lost. The Orwellian imagery and stylish architecture is clever but not executed as well as it could be. Stuff like the Fanta sponsorship, Fastrack fiddling with Oblivion's queue and now The Smiler's goofiness slightly encroaching all adds to the dilution of the theme.

If they could return to the original ideas, bringing X Sector closer to the intended concept than it ever has been and perhaps going further, while staying respectful to the familiar atmosphere, then it could really inject some life. Make the theme more dynamic and engaging for everybody who enters the area, rather than just being a vague backdrop to the rides.

It could be great if they put some real money and creativity into it.

My main niggle is the drop zone. It looks horrendous. The fences for example were once a bright silver, whereas now they are rusty and dull grey. The concrete walls are filthy and grime streaked and painting the recessed logo's bright orange creates a really ugly contrast.

Then there's Oblivion's entrance, which is dire for a ride of such a status.

Of course, there are massive improvements too with The Smiler and the Oblivion repaint. But a 'full refurbishment' it is not.

:)

Completely agree here.

electricBlll said:
Wow, Nemesis really is hideous now. A thick layer of dirt has clung to the station and moss it growing on its legs. It's mostly neglect on Alton Towers' behalf, but also the fibreglass used to create the monster has proven not to be very durable outdoors...

True, but i get the feeling some big investments are happening to that part of the park soon so this will be dealt with then

Tim said:
But the smiling logo is not the Ministry of Joys logo, it is The Smiler's (hence the name). The bottem badge in this image is MoJ's logo:

P1010440.jpg

If that had been put on the top of the building I wouldn't have even brought up the subject. If they had altered it so that the yellow is orange to match Oblivion I'd have probably praised it.

But I stress again it is still much better than the Fanta advert, I just believe they could have done even better.
I didn't think I was going to buy merchandise but I really like these badges !!!

I will buy a huge poster of Mr. Twirly and give to 1 of my friends. By putting up in their room while they sleep and when the wake up, they will scream as they think Mr. Twirly is really wierd and creepy.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
My main niggle is the drop zone. It looks horrendous. The fences for example were once a bright silver, whereas now they are rusty and dull grey. The concrete walls are filthy and grime streaked and painting the recessed logo's bright orange creates a really ugly contrast.

I'd hold off criticising the grime just yet - the place is a construction site at the moment - lots of dust from re-laying the paving, etc, so it's pointless cleaning it now. If they're going to clean it, it'll be the last thing they do. Doesn't mean it's going to happen, but I'm not surprised that it hasn't happened yet.

They would be mad not to clean up Rehydrator and the drop zone! This is the perfect opportunity to give the place a good clean / paint, but I do think there is a chance that they might hold off until the site is less of a tip. For example, I can't see the lower cafe opening on Saturday. At the very least I hope they jet-wash the drop zone!

They at least painted Dark Forest (admittedly with rubbish paint and done half arsed) in 2010. So I would at least expect X-Sector to get a full clean and repaint. Including Oblivions concrete getting a jet wash (the drop zone area ideally being focused on). They would be stupid not to!

James said:
They at least painted Dark Forest (admittedly with rubbish paint and done half arsed) in 2010. So I would at least expect X-Sector to get a full clean and repaint. Including Oblivions concrete getting a jet wash (the drop zone area ideally being focused on). They would be stupid not to!

Looking at the last lot of photos, it doesn't look like much of the concrete has been jet washed which is a shame. I have a horrible feeling that there is going to be a mix of some lovely new and clean looking stuff (Blivvy track, new paving, station building etc) and then some dirty old stuff (concrete, drop zone, queue buildings etc). I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it which is a shame. They could have at least cleaned everything. Suppose we'll know for sure in the next 48 hours.

:)

I think they'll do what they have to to get Oblivion open and then tidy the rest for when the Smiler opens. :)

To be completely honest, although a pressure wash of the whole area would be nice - we should be grateful enough for what has been done. Blivvy had been painted, the station has been fixed up and hopefully the queue and it's buildings have had a bit of a scrub.

I dunno about the rest of you, but that's more than even the most hopeful of us were expecting. While we may like more to be done, lets at least praise the fact that something has been - unlike when FV was beg elected last season...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

It looks great.

It's nice to see that something that has been talked about for so many years has finally come true! Now, about Air's tunnel...

DiogoJ42 said:
Shame they are stupid.
Wouldn't say that. Just say overlooked. It's difficult to notice things if you've seen it every single day and used to it.

Depends how much time they've actually spent, will be nice to see it properly done though!

Scott said:
Blivvy had been painted, the station has been fixed up and hopefully the queue and it's buildings have had a bit of a scrub.
Apart from Oblivion's repaint, which seems like quite a massive task in itself, nothing has really happened in X Sector that doesn't usually happen over the winter. Looking back at past closed season updates, they seem to scaffold the buildings around Oblivion every other year, either to repaint or renovate them (sometimes badly), and more recently the details around the drop zone were touched up. As you say we should be grateful, but such small refurbishments should be expected from the park anyway, and they will only really help in the short term.

electricBlll said:
Scott said:
Blivvy had been painted, the station has been fixed up and hopefully the queue and it's buildings have had a bit of a scrub.
Apart from Oblivion's repaint, which seems like quite a massive task in itself, nothing has really happened in X Sector that doesn't usually happen over the winter. Looking back at past closed season updates, they seem to scaffold the buildings around Oblivion every other year, either to repaint or renovate them (sometimes badly), and more recently the details around the drop zone were touched up. As you say we should be grateful, but such small refurbishments should be expected from the park anyway, and they will only really help in the short term.
I think it's quite clear that the queue, station and queue line buildings haven't been touched up in a long time. The MDF was rotting, the station was worn and the buildings were overgrown. The fact that all of this has at least had something done to it is a huge improvement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

electricBlll said:
and more recently the details around the drop zone were touched up.

Which practically ruined it.

The theming that was supposed to look like a giant metal door was repainted in grey and black which makes it look really cheap and stupid.

It was all peeling and rotting before they replaced the wood, so they made the right move. It's one of those little niggle things, because they didn't recreate the partition between the teeth that implied the doors could actually open. But to be honest it was hardly a convincing door anyway, I just like its shape and its presence.

As for the insignia painted orange, I actually like it that way even though it was never planned to be like that. At least, it allowed me to get a strong colour contrast in this photograph. :p

7597585484_97d3bfffe2_o.jpg

Scott said:
I think it's quite clear that the queue, station and queue line buildings haven't been touched up in a long time.
Yes I agree it does look like that, but that's just because whenever they 'touch up' theming they do it rather cheaply and it never lasts long. Thank you whoever took these following photographs, they are on Towers Times...

The station exterior was last refurbished in 2006, but judging by its appearance last year you would think it had been a lot earlier.
P1280615.JPG

QLB 001 was repainted in 2005. It also spent the 2007 winter under scaffolding.
DSC00957_small.JPG

Then two of the three remaining queue line structures in Oblivion were coated in plastic in 2010. Probably to reduce the need for repaints in the future. This photo shows a partly covered QLB 002. The three vents were later removed to make way for more plastic and the building is now bereft of any detail.
150210%20(11).jpg

And although not recent, it too was under scaffolding in 2003.
07.jpg

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.