• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

X-Sector Developments (Including Oblivion)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Kaycee said:
£120k every few years to keep it looking as it should is surely worth it when you've made such an investment, on something that relies on looking so imposing and so sharp.

I also wanted to add... :eek:

I thought it would be expensive but... how much?!!

If there is one person I trust on here to have that figure pretty accurate it's you Kaycee lol! However, once again....

HOW MUCH??!

TheMan said:
Kaycee said:
£120k every few years to keep it looking as it should is surely worth it when you've made such an investment, on something that relies on looking so imposing and so sharp.

I also wanted to add... :eek:

I thought it would be expensive but... how much?!!

If there is one person I trust on here to have that figure pretty accurate it's you Kaycee lol! However, once again....

HOW MUCH??!

I'd have thought that's rather cheap for painting the whole ride actually! Considering Studios would ask for something like that just to paint a fence (No, really!). Wasn't it something stupid like that when they wanted Marauders repainting?

Ian said:
I'd have thought that's rather cheap for painting the whole ride actually! Considering Studios would ask for something like that just to paint a fence (No, really!). Wasn't it something stupid like that when they wanted Marauders repainting?

To be fair Ian I think you a right, I sat back after and considered how much someone charges to paint a hallway for example, then considered the size and complexity of Oblivion and it makes sense, I just think the first time you see that in figures, makes you realise a bit more perhaps why it doesn't hit the top of the priority list in a park budget sense.

Of course, the bigger you get the more expensive, so yes I agree it seems decent considering all the work involved, stripping back, priming, repainting on such a grand scale.

Gives you some perspective though, eh? Well it gave me some at least!

EDIT: They were going to charge that to paint some fences??!! I'm in the wrong business.

As long as they don't touch Oblivion's videos, or, more importantly, its soundtrack.

If they remove the pounding techno, I'll pound them.

electricBlll said:
Of course this is great news. A much fresher X Sector is guaranteed for 2013, as long as they clear up the construction site on time. They will probably have to repave the entire area because it looks like the flooring has all been removed to allow the trucks to move around.

I don't think the paving has been removed, that would have taken far too long and then take just as long to relay it at the end. I think it's just mud from the car parks and work site being dragged around.

TheMan said:
EDIT: They were going to charge that to paint some fences??!! I'm in the wrong business.

Not charge, "account for that particular amount of money for the end of year" ;)

Blaze said:
As long as they don't touch Oblivion's videos, or, more importantly, its soundtrack.

This is one of my worries as well, Oblivion worked so well how it opened, hence why so many people complained when it got Fanta painted all over it. I'm sure they won't be changing anything major, but it's just a worry that they'll try too hard to fit it into the style of SW7 and damage the ride somewhat.

If they've spent so much on black paint for the ride, I hope they paint over the garish orange pipes on the Rehydrator.

Will they bother painting the track inside the tunnel? I mean, nobody will see it as it's kinda dark, but then again it could be noticeable for riders... It would save money though, as less paint would be needed and I imagine it wouldn't be too easy accessing the track down there with painting equipment , but then again, painting the drop section would be equally difficult... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Olii said:
Will they bother painting the track inside the tunnel? I mean, nobody will see it as it's kinda dark, but then again it could be noticeable for riders... It would save money though, as less paint would be needed and I imagine it wouldn't be too easy accessing the track down there with painting equipment , but then again, painting the drop section would be equally difficult... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

As you can see, there is quite a bit of track visible down in the tunnel: I took that photo during last scarefest.

622104_499266720097271_482019622_o.jpg

Please note that paint coat is not only a colour, it is sort of maintenance as well. Especially in so wet condition as we have in the tunnel.

TPMC said:
As you can see, there is quite a bit of track visible down in the tunnel: I took that photo during last scarefest.

622104_499266720097271_482019622_o.jpg

Please note that paint coat is not only a colour, it is sort of maintenance as well. Especially in so wet condition as we have in the tunnel.

I've never really paid any attention to what the track looks like in the hole.. but That's what it looks like? That looks more like Nemmy's colour than Oblivion's.. Ok, yeah that needs definitely needs to be painted. Otherwise the contrast will be way too drastic.

I'd like to think that they'd paint as far down as you can see. The track in the darkest area of the tunnel could be painted but I wouldn't complain if it was left, considering it's too dark to see and you're only in there for a split second anyway. :)

On the one hand they might only paint as far as can be seen to save time, money, and resources. That's only a small portion of the hole which is visible, so they may only go as far as the eye can see from either end.

However, as someone has said, painting the track adds a level of protection to it against rust and decay, which can eventually lead to fractures and track having to be replaced. Given the complex nature of Oblivion I'm sure that's the last thing they'll want to be doing (I can see it now! X-Sector will be closed for the 2013 season while we dig Oblivion up :p ), so they'll more than likely go all the way with it just for that added layer of protection.

I don't think it would be as hard to get to as people think. I mean there's a fair bit of space either side of the track in the tunnels, and there's a decent amount of height. I shouldn't think they'd struggle too much to get to it :)

Hopefully while they're at it they'll give all the concrete a good jet wash too to remove the layers of moss and grime that have built up over the years. It'd be silly to clean up the whole area so well only to leave something like that in it.

I hope they'll be clearing that grime away from the sides of the hole. It looks vile!

And will someone remove that damn shoe while they're at it?! It's been there for ages now :p
(Rumour has it it belongs to Kaycee)

Ian said:
And will someone remove that damn shoe while they're at it?! It's been there for ages now :p
(Rumour has it it belongs to Kaycee)

Was just thinking this myself, it's been there a good few seasons at least! :p

What are the random pipes behind the track in that photo?

Looks like someone's been trapped in the concrete with a tube for air... :p

I'd imagine they have something to do with venting the concrete, or structural purpose...

Maybe they're to let absorbed moisture from the misters out of the concrete so it doesn't rot inside, or they're to strengthen it so it doesn't crack under their weight of the shuttles passing over?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.