• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

X-Sector Developments (Including Oblivion)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Well I imagine in some cases you have to sacrefice spectical for safety and functionality. They probably had no choice in the matter, but they've been there for as long as I can recall and haven't been doing any harm. I should think they have to be raised like that to stop water filling in them all the time :)

TPMC said:
Olii said:
Will they bother painting the track inside the tunnel? I mean, nobody will see it as it's kinda dark, but then again it could be noticeable for riders... It would save money though, as less paint would be needed and I imagine it wouldn't be too easy accessing the track down there with painting equipment , but then again, painting the drop section would be equally difficult... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

As you can see, there is quite a bit of track visible down in the tunnel: I took that photo during last scarefest.

622104_499266720097271_482019622_o.jpg

Please note that paint coat is not only a colour, it is sort of maintenance as well. Especially in so wet condition as we have in the tunnel.

seriously close up it looks awful! well done At for commissioning this

I think the best thing to do with the concrete in the tunnel would be to paint it all black. This would hide where the circular hole becomes square, as at the moment they are different textures. Also If the mist for some reason isn't very effective, the fact that the inside of the hole is painted black could make it a little more dark & sinister.

;)

Unfortunately, paint on concrete in wet conditions wears out extremely quickly, to the point at which it looks worse than unpainted concrete.

It's also worth noting how enthusiastic management staff are about Oblivion. In the full article Terry Dunn says he firmly believes "that maintaining our existing assets is just as important as adding new ones". This shall hopefully dispel the common assumption that 'Merlin leave their rides to rot' through sheer laziness. It's obviously a lot more complicated than that.

Many staff members are even perhaps more enthusiastic about the rides than fans are, since they are people who actually work to run them each day, since they opened, such as the long term engineers.

We know the majority of Alton Towers staff and management want to maintain the rides. It's the lack of budget from their pay-masters that restricts their ability to do this.

A bit out of the blue question I know, but has anyone thought that Towers might be taking Oblivion floorless?

With all this work going on in X sector, there could if I'm not mistaken, be a chance however small it is, that the floor could be taken off Oblivion?
Paint job, new coaster, refurb, there is a lot going on & if merli are in a spending mood, they might just consider it.

Pluss, Alton almost always make two large investments per year, for instance in 2009 we had sharkbait & CCL, in 2010 we had th13teen & the re-branding of SS etc.

Yes, there isn't currently enough space for the floors in Oblivion's station, but all this renovation might mean they're making space.

Its an increddibly smalll chance I know, but towers seem to be pulling out all the stops for next year in X-Sector, so there may be a thin chance.

;)

They have spent the last year replacing the harnesses on the existing shuttles so i doubt they will go floorless.

Yes, just trying to sound a bit more positive and all because for ages some people were too cynical to believe Alton Towers would ever do this.

I get that X Sector has been specifically chosen as the location of the new SW as part of a plan to regenerate the whole area. Now that a big new ride is being built, they have the excuse to get the money they need. They could have done a quick medium-size replacement for the Black Hole years ago like they were planning to, and build SW7 elsewhere on "virgin land"; instead they revised the plan to allow for an excuse to clean up X Sector before it's too late. A great move.

Now Alton Towers gets not only the thrill ride its been waiting for since 2005, but also a refurbished Submission, refurbished Enterprise, refurbished Oblivion, refurbished toilets...

EDIT
Actually, the way the article is worded, the idea of slightly redesigned shuttles is suggested. Even it was not true floorless, they could adapt parts to give a greater sense of freedom?

I think it could be something like a heart rate monitor maybe?

I think it makes sense for X Sector to be refurbished. New attraction, area gets freshened up.

I would suggest that after 2014: family, 2015: should include a refresh of Forbidden Valley as an area of the park that next needs a good clean etc.

I wonder if they could get ride of the barriers that run across the front of the trains, though this may pose some risks during boarding/disembarkation of the ride.

Leave Oblivion alone! The ride is designed perfectly the way it is without floorless gimmicks or any other additional distractions. It's the simplicity of the concept and execution that makes the ride so powerful and so striking. Adding anything risks compromising that.

All it needs is to be cleaned up, painted and restored to it's original state.

Not to mention that new trains, a modified station with moving floors, a modified maintenance shed and the addition of air gates at the station exit would cost a lot. None of which I believe would improve the ride at all really.

Sheikra's trains didn't come across as being more superior to me at least, and they didn't improve the ride experience either, though I do love watching the floor move up and down in the station! [/nerd]

:p

BigAl said:
Not to mention that new trains, a modified station with moving floors, a modified maintenance shed and the addition of air gates at the station exit would cost a lot. None of which I believe would improve the ride at all really.

Sheikra's trains didn't come across as being more superior to me at least, and they didn't improve the ride experience either, though I do love watching the floor move up and down in the station! [/nerd]

:p

I agree floorless is a ridiculous suggestion, but HR monitors etc. I think are quite a likely scenario, considering what Towers have said about additions to the shuttles/cars.

At least work on Oblivion starts on Monday.
Too be quite honest i think it will look better with a satin finish will look much nicer than matte.
In the Pulse issue for this month which is a staff news letter it says its due too be a six week job for the full repaint of Oblivion. Also claiming too be the same as the colour painted track on SW7 so they look alot better together.

Some may of already heard of this but for the people who haven't there ya go.

Something that’s fascinated me is that Oblivions track inside the tunnel is actually joined directly to the concrete. Lots of small rods make the connection (as can be seen in the construction archives). But even more fascinating is that when the ride is eventually removed the pained undersides should have retained its original colour without any fading as it has no exposure to the outside world.

So one day we will be able to see a side by side comparison of the tracks final state and how it was originally.

Firstly: The shoe! ;D

I hadn't noticed that!

Second: It does look a sorry state doesn't it! Though I'm not so sure about clearing the actual tunnel itself, yes it is grimy, but it is also rather creepy like that. That is what proper, underground tunnels get like, it adds some reality to it - though I can also appreciate what a clean up to that would do. Personally I'd probably leave it though.

I think they may well add something to Oblivion as well, but like others here, I worry that in this case, adding things will actually take away the focus of the ride - which is all about experience not gimmicks.

I don't think you can improve something that was built that good, imposing, and frankly brilliant first time round, without ruining what made it great.

The shoe has become a feature of the ride now :D

I wonder if speakers mounted in the head rest on the seats could be the addition?

I think a repaint +/- work on the slightly grotty station buildings is all I am going to expect at this point. This, combined with the "normal" yearly refurbs, e.g. declogging the misters would make Oblivion look as good as new!

I doubt we will hear audio sadly, though it is something I think we would all love to see. I believe the "Don't Look Down" was removed to stop the scream that was annoying the Ropers.

One small thing that would make me quite happy though would be replacing the queueline TV's with flatscreens. There is nothing sadder than seeing old CRT monitors littering a ride that is meant to be cutting edge.

TPMC said:
As you can see, there is quite a bit of track visible down in the tunnel: I took that photo during last scarefest.

622104_499266720097271_482019622_o.jpg

Please note that paint coat is not only a colour, it is sort of maintenance as well. Especially in so wet condition as we have in the tunnel.

If you look at the bottom of the picture, as the track starts to level off, it looks like they have painted the track there in a brighter colour. Looks almost like a primer colour? I can't see why they would bother painting in the tunnel, it's not really noticeable unless you're looking straight down the tunnel, which I don't think many people will be doing!

Nah, fairly sure its WAS the same colour. I think its just that its probably gotten cement dust and other dirt all over it to make it look dirtier.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.