• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: Alton Towers Enchanted Village

Thing is Mr Man, people go to AT not for the hotels, but for the theme park. Even if the hotels did have more to offer, its still not going to get a huge amount of demand as the theme park is still closed. I just dont think a whole new entertainment complex is warranted for closed season, the hotels themselves are totally dead. I think they would be better off focusing on what they have and improving it, and looking at more outdoor entertainments in the summertime....

@James I will never understand why they close the golf at basically the same time as the theme park.

And @GaryH guess what changing people's opinion of what the place offers is all about.....

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

*eyes widen, sniffs the air*

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARKETING!!!!

Seems they're not very good at what they SHOULD be doing, and instead concentrate on interfering with things they really should be keeping out of.

Ironic? No?

To me it's a facepalm moment. Yes they're nice. But surely they'd be better off balancing out things to do as there's a whole freaking season and a half they basically do bugger all for?

I know we've all mentioned a proper entertainment complex but really, more accommodation and nothing of note added seems utterly absurd. Ranting aside (admittedly comedy ranting at times), why can they not see this? The idea of stopping there over winter just never appeals to me remotely.

Even just a building with some air hockey tables, maybe some indoor bowling, anything to give families a bit more to do - I know they're not the most imaginative ideas to say the least but there's literally nothing.

I don't think they will use the Lodges during winter anyway.
During the theme park season that is the main draw and so they need additional accommodation (lodges). During the closed season they offer special pirate / carribean party weekends and free waterpark tickets to encourage people to stay, this seems to show that not many people want to stay during the winter so they don't need the lodges open during this time.
Alton Towers know they need to offer something extra in the Winter, hence them offering Pirate weekends etc. But they also know they make enough money in the summer season that they don't need to fill all the rooms to make money during the Winter.

The arcade in Splash does already have Air Hockey tables :)
But I think with the play areas and high ropes course, outdoor play will be a big feature of the lodges.

I think the lodges would work pretty well for Christmas. Obviously not the whole site being open. But maybe a few lodges dressed up and advertised as Christmas lodges. Santa's Enchanted Village, anyone? Maybe use a lodge as Santa's grotto. Could be a good potential there to expand the Christmas event.

I think the lodges would work pretty well for Christmas. Obviously not the whole site being open. But maybe a few lodges dressed up and advertised as Christmas lodges. Santa's Enchanted Village, anyone? Maybe use a lodge as Santa's grotto. Could be a good potential there to expand the Christmas event.

Don't put yourself through it James, there's so many ideas on this site for Towers that would easily be profitable and fun but "marketing" should be called "Cantbearsedeting"

Don't put yourself through it James, there's so many ideas on this site for Towers that would easily be profitable and fun but "marketing" should be called "Cantbearsedeting"

They must be marketing something right, Santa lunches and many dates for Santa sleepovers have sold out this year.

Might be to do with the pricing, its been very good for these sort of events encouraging more people to stay over. For example, the 18th December, a Santa sleep over for 2 adults and 1 child is £165, that includes breakfast, dinner, visit santa and entry to the theme park and waterpark and car parking!!

In comparison, I've just been pricing up a date to stay over, June 20th for one night for 4 adults:

Splash £230 (per person £57.50)
ATH £319 (quite a jump!) (per person £79.75)
ATH Moon Voyager £369 (per person £92.25)
Enchanted Lodge £265 (per person £66.25)
Enchanted tree house £825!!!!!!!! (per person bearing in mind it sleeps 8 £103.12)

I know the tree house sleeps up to 8 (though the booking process only lets you book for 4 people so it could be more expensive than this), but £825!! Even if you reduce this to 2 people, its still the same price. Bearing in mind you could book the Raddle cottage nearby which sleeps 10 and has a hot tub for £700, between 10 (i.e. £70 a night).

But.... if you do go for a treehouse, you do get extra superdooper special VIP parking ;)

Enchanted tree house £825!!!!!!!! (per person bearing in mind it sleeps 8 £103.12)

I know the tree house sleeps up to 8 (though the booking process only lets you book for 4 people so it could be more expensive than this), but £825!! Even if you reduce this to 2 people, its still the same price. Bearing in mind you could book the Raddle cottage nearby which sleeps 10 and has a hot tub for £700, between 10 (i.e. £70 a night).

But.... if you do go for a treehouse, you do get extra superdooper special VIP parking ;)

£825? FOR ONE NIGHT?

(By the way, I was mid sneeze when I read your last line there, that didn't end well :D)

I just did a quick cursory search on Travel Supermarket for a holiday to Barbados in June based on only 2 sharing... for THREE NIGHTS. Including flights etc... Thurs 4th June to Sunday 7th June.

339372.jpg

How much?

£1170.

Not per person... TOTAL.

Or a treehouse. In a field. With a waterpark costing extra trying to look like a parody version of that view above. The rooms are lovely also. And there's A LOT of offers around that price.

Remember... BARBADOS, PROPER 3 star, not this self certification nonsense, 3 nights, beach rooms, including flights.

Hot tub? Or hot deep blue ocean?

Room with a view of the beach and ocean, or a field and car park?

Caribbean hospitality... or Dragon Bar.

Comparable prices. Utterly incomparable experiences.

1 night... or 3.

Context. Alton Towers has none.

Not comparable prices though, £1170 is for 2 people (EDIT sorry just realised your price is for all three nights, so £195 pppn), £825 is for up to 8 (so £103 pppn).

But you can stay at a 3 bedroom Treehouse villa (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/saratoga-springs-resort-and-spa/) sleeping up to 9 at DisneyWorld for £569 (so £63.20 pppn) for the night of 20 June (room only, no breakfast or tickets) but no private hot tub but there are pools at the resort.

Last edited:
Not comparable prices though, £1170 is for 2 people (EDIT sorry just realised your price is for all three nights, so £195 pppn), £825 is for up to 8 (so £103 pppn).

But you can stay at a 3 bedroom Treehouse villa (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/saratoga-springs-resort-and-spa/) sleeping up to 9 at DisneyWorld for £569 (so £63.20 pppn) for the night of 20 June (room only, no breakfast or tickets) but no private hot tub but there are pools at the resort.
Again not comparable though. Disney World has infinitely more rooms and often sells them cheaper than needs be to keep occupancy up and increase guest spending elsewhere.

If we're doing a direct comparison it would help if we did it against something in the UK, like Center Parcs or something.

I think the point's been missed somewhat...

@GaryH mentioned reducing the occupancy to 2 people. Based on that I decided to see just how much you could get with a very quick search for the same money for 2 people.

AND I FOUND A 3 NIGHT 3/4 STAR STAY INCLUDING FLIGHTS TO BARBADOS.

For a bit more than the price of a treehouse.... for one night.

Somehow, I can't imagine finding a treehouse next to a car park in a field IN BARBADOS.

star-wars-facepalm.jpg

:D

Last edited:
I just don't like the planning of it all. The hotels are just surrounded by car parks for one - they're shabby, probably wouldn't go as far as saying they're in a state of disrepair. The route from the monorail to the hotels isn't aesthetically pleasing. The miniature golf has just been placed where there's space. The whole this is sporadic and run down to be honest.

I used to think the Towers was a quality product. It's almost like they've taken a leaf out of Ryanair's book - compromise on the product - it doesn't matter because people will still come.

I just don't like the planning of it all. The hotels are just surrounded by car parks for one - they're shabby, probably wouldn't go as far as saying they're in a state of disrepair. The route from the monorail to the hotels isn't aesthetically pleasing. The miniature golf has just been placed where there's space. The whole this is sporadic and run down to be honest.

I used to think the Towers was a quality product. It's almost like they've taken a leaf out of Ryanair's book - compromise on the product - it doesn't matter because people will still come.

If you think the hotels are in a state of disrepair then I dread to what you think the park is like? The worst thing about the hotels is the criminal pricing, as hotels themselves they really aren't that bad and I enjoy staying over when I get the chance.

Would you rather the car parks be located further away from the hotels giving guests a five minute walk from their cars to the hotel? Many theme park hotels are surrounded by car parks. Once you are inside you really don't notice.

:)

I think it is comparable. Barbados, £1170 for 2 people for 3 nights works out at £195 per person per night. Alton Treehouse, for 2, for 1 night works out at £412.50 per person per night. Just goes to show how extortionate the price is.

If the £825 included ERT, park tickets, waterpark tickets, fasttrack all day on every ride, VIP parking, food and drinks in the park, then "maybe", just "maybe", it would justify the value a bit more. But this is just B&B!!!!! In Alton.

The DisneyWorld price of £63.20 per person, or £569 is a lot more sensible. Obviously its a premium tree house so its going to command a higher price, but close to £1000 is just bonkers.

I'm actually off to Lapland next week with my partner for 4 nights, flights included, half board, in a superior room in the hotel..... cost us £1,200 in total. 4 nights, B&B in the treehouse would cost £3,300!!!!

Que Similer theme tune, ha ha ha, ha ha ha

I'm actually off to Lapland next week with my partner for 4 nights, flights included, half board, in a superior room in the hotel..... cost us £1,200 in total. 4 nights, B&B in the treehouse would cost £3,300!!!!

Be careful, I hear Nick bought out Santa's Grotta and has the Elves working full time making lanyards.

I think it is comparable. Barbados, £1170 for 2 people for 3 nights works out at £195 per person per night. Alton Treehouse, for 2, for 1 night works out at £412.50 per person per night. Just goes to show how extortionate the price is.

But would you actually book a treehouse that sleeps 8 people for just two of you? Can book a superior room (Moon Voyager) and save £500!

But would you actually book a treehouse that sleeps 8 people for just two of you? Can book a superior room (Moon Voyager) sticker filled vinyl festival room and save £500!

My maths may be wrong there, but doesn't that work out more expensive per person per night that Barbados? Or at least come very close?

My maths may be wrong there, but doesn't that work out more expensive per person per night that Barbados? Or at least come very close?

Moon Voyager room for Saturday 20 June 2015 is £333 so £166 per adult, but yes I agree Barbados does work out much better value, even compared to £200 for a Splash Landings room (£100 each adult). This is why I wouldn't stay at any AT hotel on a weekend!

The only part I was questioning is choosing the correct size accommodation for your party. a treehouse sleeping 8 isn't needed for just two people

The only part I was questioning is choosing the correct size accommodation for your party. a treehouse sleeping 8 isn't needed for just two people

But it's the only accommodation on site that offers any kind of real luxury for a super premium price point.