• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure

Quick question, the ride page for this says 'GUP Convoy' what is GUP?
It's the name of the vehicles in the Octonauts. They have sort of submarine things called GUP-1, GUP-2 etc. Wikipedia didn't know what GUP stands for when I looked though.

took my lad on the little dragon one at legoland and he freaked right out but he really really wants to go on this when it opens!

The ride was testing yesterday afternoon. I was in the Big Fun Showtime area and you could see it through the trees, but unfortunately I was watching Mr. bloom :)P) and by the time that had finished they had stopped testing it.

I know it is just a kid's coaster and everything, but I have to say, that track colour is gorgeous. Makes me sad that we don't see any of Merlin's major coasters utilizing more vibrant colour schemes, I think it looks really pretty here.

Having seen it testing I have to be honest I think it's a little bit too small/ short, I understand it has to be small but it only lasts 20 seconds including lift hill, even with two laps it's still small and doing two laps will hugely effect throughput. It does look great quality, just wish it could be a little longer and therefore have a second train.

Having seen it testing I have to be honest I think it's a little bit too small/ short, I understand it has to be small but it only lasts 20 seconds including lift hill, even with two laps it's still small and doing two laps will hugely effect throughput. It does look great quality, just wish it could be a little longer and therefore have a second train.

Given the queues some CBeebies Land attractions have attracted, I am surprised that the park have not gone with a longer, two train coaster, or at least a longer track. People queueing potentially 45 minutes or longer with children may not be too happy that after all that time they only get a 20 second ride.

Did it really have to be that small even. By removing the space adventures play area they must have plenty of space to use.

They should have waited for the Spinball removal, and created a larger kids coaster. But I suppose this is better than nothing and at least there is some form of kids coaster back on park.

I think it should be this small!

This is an entry level coaster for very small children. Some parks have coasters even smaller than this!

Of course, a Pegasus sized coaster would have been nice - but even Europa-Park need something that is truly suited to the youngest visitors.

:)

Why do they, I was hoping for the length of the likes of flight of the hippogriff or the barnstormer, they are perfect for kids, over 1 minute long and the later achieves 900-1000 people per hour

CBeebies Land is aimed at the very youngest children that visit theme parks. I agree with Dan that a coaster of this size was needed.

Ideally they will add a further kids coaster in a few years, more of a Mack YoungStar scale.

Why do they, I was hoping for the length of the likes of flight of the hippogriff or the barnstormer, they are perfect for kids, over 1 minute long and the later achieves 900-1000 people per hour

Yes, they are both better. But this coaster is designed for younger than those.

CBeebies Land is targeted at under 7 years of age. Vekoma Junior coasters/Mack Youngstar are targeted at older children.

Isn't the barnstormer Aimed at the same age, it was certainly awkward queuing with my family surrounded with a bunch of 5 year olds

Just to add, the height requirement for the above rides are 38 inches, with the average height of a 4 year old at 40 inches and a 3 year old at 37 inches suggest these rides are perfect for this demographic.

Last edited:
Height doesn't identifty the target audience, it's a bit like the difference between Dragon Coaster and Dragons apprentice at Lego. This is fine for its target, they now need a coaster that bridges the gap to RMT

This is an entry level coaster for very small children. Some parks have coasters even smaller than this!

I assume this is also the reason for it having no major drop and just gently curves around, which should be quite nice!

Even though the Beastie had a significant drop... well 2 I suppose if you count the one in the tunnel.

Isn't the barnstormer Aimed at the same age, it was certainly awkward queuing with my family surrounded with a bunch of 5 year olds

Just to add, the height requirement for the above rides are 38 inches, with the average height of a 4 year old at 40 inches and a 3 year old at 37 inches suggest these rides are perfect for this demographic.

I don't disagree with you - of course a larger Vekoma Junior or Mack YoungStar would have been better, I am not trying to pretend that it wouldn't. But I recognise why they have gone for a smaller coaster (although they could have gone even smaller!) in CBeebies Land. It fits the rest of the rides well.

What you can see though is that this coaster is appropriate for VERY young children. Even with a height restriction of whatever and whatever on the larger junior coasters, Pegasus / Barnstormer are pretty large for the smallest guests.