• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It could easily look that way again with the strategic removal of a few vending machines in the way, restoring colour, removing a lot of ivy and cleaning. Basically if there was any true budget allocated to maintaining the area's design

But then surely the same could be said of Air,

All areas look fresh once they have just been built, but thats not how a lot of them are suppose to stay. Certainly with FV it looks in areas good with the weathered look, but some places a good spruce up is needed.

All areas look fresh once they have just been built, but thats not how a lot of them are suppose to stay.
Enormous amounts of effort are made to make areas look the way they are, at least with the levels of design they were going for particularly in the 90s at Alton Towers. What opens is what is intended, apart from general foliage which grows in time.

The idea that areas such as Forbidden Valley are better by looking realistically downtrodden, dirty and old is just an enthusiast misunderstanding. Not something I think any real guest would see as a positive thing when they visit.

When FV first opened you can see it looked far more raw and effective, far more Forbidden Valley, and any rustic look was scenic effect and looked vivid, not real dirt or real algae, or featureless ivy covering up much of the landscaped rocks, and all that.

They would make a good plant pot!

Nooooooo, they deserve more respect than that ;)

I would love one of these in my garden, just to sit in :D

Starting price of £250 for most

or buy it now £2000 :eek:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alton-Tow...964576?hash=item238918e1a0:g:ozEAAOSwlXhZaOiR

This one bidding is currently at £102, but reserve not yet met

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alton-Tow...966970?hash=item238918eafa:g:7ecAAOSwmNlZaOjS

It probably cost me more to transport it as I would need to hire a Van :D

It probably worth noting that all proceeds from the sale of the items will be donated in full to Merlin’s Magic Wand charity. You can find details of the fantastic work the charity is involved in by visiting: www.merlinsmagicwand.org.

Last edited:
Collect in person from Alton, Staffordshire....

As resourceful my little Nissan Micra is, I don't think it would appreciate carting one of those boats from Staffordshire to Surrey on it's little roofrack lol

Am I the only one thinking, "Who would want one of those butt-fugly reminders of how a classic old flume was cheapened with soap sponsorship"?

EDIT: Unlesss.... open your mind real wide now.... unless you live in Yorkshire, want to recreate some classic Last of the Summer Wine moments, but don't have the metalwork skills to attach wheels to a bathtub yourself...?

I don't have any strong feelings either way in terms of the flume pre/post rehab, but I'd suggest the bathtub boats are fairly iconic, because they're not standard logs.

Wasn't a fan of the Flume at all, thought it was one of the worst flumes I've done. Still I liked the boats.

Im not going to lie I am tempted to put a bid on - but Is it really worth it - they could have at least cleaned them - What ever happened to the old logs? Did they just get rid of them?

I think the original logs were sold off when the retheme happened. Pretty sure at least oneof them is (or at least, was) in use as a planter somewhere in Alton village.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.