• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Can we start placing bets that the Nemesis queue will reach 60 mins today :D

It's already 40 so there's a good chance it'll be over an hour. It's the benchmark for a very busy day if Nemmy is over an hour.

Interesting start to the busiest day of the season so far

The Smiler 20 mins
TH13TEEN 25 mins
Nemesis 40 mins
Enterprise 50 mins
Oblivion 90 mins
Spinball Whizzer 90 mins
Galactica Unavailable
Rita Unavailable

The Smiler only 20 minutes? Something makes me think their new system is playing up!

:)

The Smiler only 20 minutes? Something makes me think their new system is playing up!

I can see it working accurately sometimes but it requires at least one person to have the app in the queue and for the both receivers working properly at the entrance and in the station. The Ops can over-ride it though and submit a queue time if they think it's wrong. It's relying too much on the system to accurately predict for my liking.

I can see it working accurately sometimes but it requires at least one person to have the app in the queue and for the both receivers working properly at the entrance and in the station. The Ops can over-ride it though and submit a queue time if they think it's wrong. It's relying too much on the system to accurately predict for my liking.
What is the automated system that's used?

What is the automated system that's used?

If you have the Alton Towers app then sensors at the start and end of the queue lines for major rides will detect how long you have been in the queue for an update accordingly. In theory this does mean that the queue time being displayed is that for the person who is at the front of the queue, not for someone who is about to enter the queue.

Of course there are flaws in this. For example The Smiler has just jumped from 20 minutes to 120 minutes. So something was not working as it should have been!

What sensors? I thought it was done via GPS?

Nope! I don't have any photos to hand however have a look around some of the ride entrances and you'll see a little black box somewhere on a fence. They also have them leading up to ride entrances so that the app can send you a notification about purchasing fastrack if the queue is of a certain length.

They don't use GPS. They use iBeacon which basically transmits a Bluetooth low energy signal around the area of the iBeacon, they are little black boxes that are zip tied to the fences. iBeacons are much more accurate and better for your phone battery. All the signal transmits is numbers but if you have the Alton Towers app on your phone it will know what to do with them. When it sees that you are near one it will register the time your phone receives the signal and the time your phone sees the additional iBeacon near the station.

I'm not sure how many they have over each queue but I'd imagine they have one in the middle somewhere to try and avoid people scanning the first beacon and then hanging around the entrance for friends.

The ops can override it on their iPads but I believe the next person that walks past an iBeacon (with a phone with the Alton Towers app installed) will then overwrite what the op entered.

I have a few in my house for home automation, they aren't expensive and will run on a battery for two years before it needs to be changed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
According to current ridetimes, the queue times for the six open adult coasters total just under ten hours!
I love the end of school trip season!

If anyone was ever going to willingly install government tracking devices in their own home mate, it's you. :tinfoil:

All the iBeacon does is send a Bluetooth signal with numbers. You can put it wherever you want. It's your own app that determines what to do when the phone sees the signal. iBeacon on their own do not track location.

All my app does at the moment is track if I'm at home or not. Next plan is to triangulate and figure out what room I'm in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The two grey ones are messing with my ocd ! :/
DFLN9t_XkAA9I8R.jpg

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.