• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
@DiogoJ42 I was just refused in a pizza joint near Liverpool Street. "We sell bottled" was the response.

I think it'll happen, it'll just take time. In theme parks... I'm less optimistic and in some ways would be quite hesitant to use a water fountain - perhaps that's damage from my school days.

I once asked for tap water on a Virgin Trains East Coast service (RIP) and they gave me two bottles for free :)

I knew I was chancing my luck, I don't know if they have any "tap" water on a train... just thought I would add a positive post to balance out the negative one above

It’s actually a mandatory condition of all alcohol licenses that free drinking water is available on request, and it doesn’t have to be from a tap.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...a/file/350507/2014-08-29_MC_Guidance_v1_0.pdf

The 2014 Order provides that the responsible person must ensure that free potable water is provided on request for customers where it is reasonably available.

Many premises already offer free tap water. This condition means that responsible persons at all premises must ensure customers are provided with potable (drinking) water for free if they ask for it. It does not need to come from a tap. This helps people to space out their drinks and not become intoxicated quickly, which reduces the risk of crime and disorder occurring.

What is meant by “reasonably available” is a question of fact; for example, it may not be reasonable to expect free water to be available in premises for which the water supply had temporarily been lost because of a broken mains supply and where no alternative (for example, bottled water) is available.

Law states:

"Unlicensed premises in the UK do not have to legally supply free drinking water.

So, provided they are unlicensed, this includes sports stadiums, leisure centres, swimming pools, health clubs, tourists attractions, theatres, cinemas and beauty salons."

Actually therefore, does this mean all of Alton as a resort is licensed as the Welcome Inn sells alcohol, as do the hotels etc. If so, then the themepark would also have to provide free water (which I think they would do anyway if you are prepared to queue for half an hour and ask).

Sorry if this is obvious / already seen - I will delete if this is the case. This is what Alton Towers posted on Twitter yesterday.
16m58js.png

Towers got a lot of bad press about 6 or 7 years ago for refusing free drinking water on a really hot day. They don’t have a whole resort license hence why there are signs banning you taking drinks out of Tavern, Coffee shop etc but a lot of companies just offer it to avoid negative tweets.

I always see people going round the Florida parks constantly buying bottled water but they will always refill any bottle that you have with water for free.

I understand some of the frustrations with queues and the like but this weather is fairly unprecedented in terms of its duration and there isn't always an option to balloon your staff base.

It's no secret that there are a number of outlets closed this year and therefore there aren't additional staff available at a moment's notice.

I understand some of the frustrations with queues and the like but this weather is fairly unprecedented in terms of its duration and there isn't always an option to balloon your staff base.

It's no secret that there are a number of outlets closed this year and therefore there aren't additional staff available at a moment's notice.

I don’t think anyone disagrees with that, but the park has shown signs of struggling with even relatively low levels of guest numbers and attendance was showing a consistent upswing with Wickerman prior to the weather. Barely anyone working for the park is on full time hours and a lot would love to have them so if the budget was there they could get more staff in to a point, but an SW started proving itself as a guest draw and no one saw fit to reassess the situation heading into the second busiest part of the year.

The short term nature of the business is killing the product here but at least the share price has risen....

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.