• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Is it just me who has a feeling the Rapids days may be numbered? In the last few years they have become more of a 'seasonal' attraction across the group, and with staff dotted around the ride course monitoring guests, now we have water levels and guest numbers affecting things, added to the fact the owners appear scared of them.

It would shock me at all to find the ride mothballed soon.
I think your right, the ride looks a mess anyway and with that amount of land yet another coaster can be put in. :-(

Wow, they are still literally selling planks of wood as souvenirs. I’m surprised they aren’t selling their own bottled water yet filled from the hosepipe round the back.

Alton Towers been taken over by Delboy and Rodney?

I can't see how you'd get significant bruises on the Rapids unless you physically fell into the boat when getting on.

My son banged his head on the Rapids this week, the ride has no padded headrests so when it hit the side he banged his head back onto solid plastic. It wasn’t a big one but he still started crying. If the woman was fairly short I can see how she got that injury..

We were at Legoland the two days before and the boats on the rapids are significantly different with higher sides with padded headrests and a door that closes once you are on. That design of boat significantly reduces the chances of banging your head off something solid.

So the Rapids.... whats changed to cause all these people to get an injury....... the boats are too empty. IN the past you would share with other people, who may be sat next to you, and the extra bodies in the boats helps people to stop being thrown about too much.

There was 3 of us on the rapids this weekend, one being a 5 year old, who was thrown about quite a bit despite holding on. Thankfully, he was sat on one of the double seats with my partner and me the other side of him so we could lessen the effects, but if you are sat on your own and not holding on properly, I can see how some people are now getting bruises. They need to start filling the boats properly.

So the Rapids.... whats changed to cause all these people to get an injury

Not just the numbers per boat, but the "calming down" of the water has increased the speed that the boats run at, meaning when they do hit something, the impact is bigger and more likely to throw someone about. Earlier this year we shot through the fountains and crashed into the rocks at quiet a speed at the next corner, something we had never done previously.

I'll happily admit because I have no intention of going back, but I always film whenever we went on the Rapids, the rides after the fountains and several of the pumps were turned off, are a good 20 seconds faster than pre-DM incident videos.

To be fair, I wouldn't say that there has been an increase in people getting bruises on the rapids this year. I myself, despite rare, I have acquired bruises on rides over the years, especially at BPPB. Over the years there have been people reporting that they have got bruises on various rides at Alton.

At the end of the day, as long as you haven't broken a bone, bruises are nothing to worry about and are part and parcel of living. I was always getting bruises as a child. I blame it all on the "where there's a blame culture". :rolleyes:

Not a bruise! I've never seen such shocking negligence!

Post Grenfell, people need to get a life and get some perspective on things.

As for publicly posting personal injury complaints on social media, it's quite clear why they are doing this. If you have a genuine case, you'll consult a solicitor. However if you don't......

We should forget all this crap about bruises and possible dangers of "hard" boats on a 30 year old ride of a sound design with a flawless safety record, and instead start holding their feet to the fire for all the missing theming and effects.

Not a bruise! I've never seen such shocking negligence!

Post Grenfell, people need to get a life and get some perspective on things.

As for publicly posting personal injury complaints on social media, it's quite clear why they are doing this. If you have a genuine case, you'll consult a solicitor. However if you don't......

We should forget all this crap about bruises and possible dangers of "hard" boats on a 30 year old ride of a sound design with a flawless safety record, and instead start holding their feet to the fire for all the missing theming and effects.
GP -"its killed before and it'll do it again"...

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

To be fair, I have personally seen a youngling get sent flying in to the grab rail on Legoland's rapids. I could believe it on that ride.

Splitting your head open IS worthy of complaining about, provided someone was actually at fault (and at the moment all we have is a picture on facebook with no proof of where or how the injury took place).

But a few bruises are just part and parcel of riding extreme thrill attractions. If they result from a decent ride, they can be considered a badge of honour!
If the same bruises had been sustained riding a horse, would they be complaining to the owner of the horse? Actually, they probably would.

To be fair, I wouldn't say that there has been an increase in people getting bruises on the rapids this year. I myself, despite rare, I have acquired bruises on rides over the years, especially at BPPB. Over the years there have been people reporting that they have got bruises on various rides at Alton.

At the end of the day, as long as you haven't broken a bone, bruises are nothing to worry about and are part and parcel of living. I was always getting bruises as a child. I blame it all on the "where there's a blame culture". :rolleyes:

Quite agree. My friend got a bruise on his back after riding Spinball Whizzer. It's one of those things, other places have rougher rides

Quite agree. My friend got a bruise on his back after riding Spinball Whizzer. It's one of those things, other places have rougher rides
Oh spinball can be brutal at times, I wonder if the person complaining about a bruse also did spinball.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.