• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It's pointless security theatre. Just what is a minimum wage jobsworth supposed to do when they catch someone with a bomb?

If you wanted to bring a larger device such as that in, its easier to just get a job there. The only thing they would be realistically looking for in the publics bag is knives or glass. As you say it is just theatre designed to make us public feel like action is being taken.

It's also so pointless when you can just walk past the checkpoints, or they pack them up at 5pm like they did at Legoland for the fireworks and I walked in at half six with a huge bag of coats and crap unchallenged.

I also heard from a nutty solicitor I know that's it's a seriously grey area when it comes to privacy, and you can refuse to undergo the checks on several different grounds if you really wanted to be an arse, but the main problem with this is the sheep behind you usually start complaining about you holding up the line with the favourite line of "if you've got nothing to hide why is it a problem?" - this is why we usually don't arrive at parks until after lunch, keeps me from getting into trouble.

You can refuse to be searched by a person of the opposite gender, should that search involve a pat down and the establishment is required to find one of the same to carry the check out, if one isn't available they can't refuse entry on the grounds you refused consent, you can also refuse if the person doing the checking is not displaying their ID (the blue badges), (not that I know any blokes who object to being patted down by a young lady) but yes, you're well within your rights to refuse it and they're well within their rights to refuse entry if you do if those points don't apply.

Just they weren't doing that at Thorpe last year to those who walked around the bag checks or ducked past them by using the side entrance - answer given was checks are voluntary, not mandatory (shortly after they did change it to the cattle pen that directed you solely to the bag checks probably as a result of the complaints they received from people who had stood in a queue for a hour).

They can refuse entry to anyone, at any time and they do not need to give a reason. When I do this at work, I purposely don't give a reason as when you do you either open yourself up to accusations of sexism, racism etc which would indeed be against the law, or arguments over whether they think your justification is valid or not etc etc.

If someone where to accuse you of these things, the burden of proof would fall on the accuser.

Contrary to popular belief, unless there is a designated public right of way (such as a public footpath through farmland), everytime you set foot in a shop, theme park etc you are doing so by invitation. So if you walked into your local Sainsburys and a Manager decides to ask you to leave without giving you a reason, your permission to be on those premises has been withdrawn and by refusing to leave you are trespassing. They don't need a reason as you have no right to be there in the first place. A closing time is effectively them removing their consent for you to be there after a certain time.

Last edited:
Isn't there a public right of way through the gardens?

Not through the theme park but by the Hotels,

14lkjmw.jpg

That right of way by the hotels is above King Inga's rock, there is a sty over the fence to the rear of the hotels, but it is all fenced off around the hotels from what I recall.

Yes indeed, walked it all last year hunting for King Ina.
Stunning walk along and down the Churnet valley through ancient woodland, an easy walk from the hotels.

That right of way by the hotels is above King Inga's rock, there is a sty over the fence to the rear of the hotels, but it is all fenced off around the hotels from what I recall.

Quick Google of Farley 6/A shows Towers not fully recognising that it is a public right of way.

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=177904

Also 6/A was legally closed last year for minimum of 6 months.

http://www.public-notices.co.uk/attachments/2017-03/95f68ab3-65d1-42ca-a922-d9704dd25408.pdf

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Staffordshire County Council, on 14 March 2017 made an Order the effect of which is to prohibit any pedestrian from proceeding along that length of Public Footpath No. 6 (a) Farley Parish from its junction with Public Footpath No. 45 Farley Parish in a generally southerly direction for a distance of approximately 403 metres then a generally easterly direction for a distance of 80 metres, then a generally southerly direction for approximately 302 metres to the junction with Public Footpath No. 6 (b) Farley Parish. The closure is required because of danger to the public due to construction works.

The Order will come into operation on 18 March 2017 and will remain in force for a period of six months or until then risk of danger to the public is considered to be over, whichever is the earlier. If necessary, after six months, the Order may be extended for a further period with the approval of the Secretary of State.

My interpretation is that it's limited to a maximum of 6 months, unless a further notice is granted by SoS. In theory, it should be open again now.

Interesting, when I walked it...summer 2016, the digger man doing the new hotel footings said he saw about a dozen walkers a day using the path, a lot if them the parents of teens who had gone in the park.
If it isn't reopened I will personally give them hell.
It was right up to the footing though, but a well used footpath all the same.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.