• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Is there anyone else on here who's still a fan?

For me Alton Towers still has a magical effect, for one I've noticed I am generally willing to go and chat to random people at towers, something I could never do out of towers.

Yes towers does honestly seem to have some positive impact in regards to my Asperger's!

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk
Maybe having a VIP annual pass means that you haven’t seen the park from the perspective of regular visitors? For example, using Fastrack on everything would mean the impact of rides breaking down a lot of the time, and other things such as staggered openings, has a minimal effect on your visit, as you won’t have queued for long at all and can just head to another ride. Whereas it really does dampen the day for the rest of us.

Maybe having a VIP annual pass means that you haven’t seen the park from the perspective of regular visitors? For example, using Fastrack on everything would mean the impact of rides breaking down a lot of the time, and other things such as staggered openings, has a minimal effect on your visit, as you won’t have queued for long at all and can just head to another ride. Whereas it really does dampen the day for the rest of us.
When rides break down its immediately apparent on fastrack queues, so yes I do notice it.

@ihaveaspergers I had a fantastic day out, but from almost everything I've read since it sounds like we were very lucky with regards to queue times and downtime.

There's really no excuse for the staff cuts at queue lines though and with the reduction in bus services Alton Towers can be as magical as it wants but if I have to take a taxi every time I go that's no good either.

@ihaveaspergers I had a fantastic day out, but from almost everything I've read since it sounds like we were very lucky with regards to queue times and downtime.

There's really no excuse for the staff cuts at queue lines though and with the reduction in bus services Alton Towers can be as magical as it wants but if I have to take a taxi every time I go that's no good either.
Oh definitely, the merging of rap and fastrack isn't good for either but it's better then the alternative towers tried on The Smiler(shudders)

It doesn't mean no one's a "fan", it just means that some of us find some sort of completely blind loyalty insane!

People who continue to dish out wads of cash to Merlin whilst moaning about the place are akin to being in an abusive relationship and using the excuse "but I love him" to not leave.

My mother loves me very much, but it was still her duty to point out the fact I was getting rather fat the other day.

I think VIP just highlights how bad the parks have got. Theme parks are for escapism and everyone should be equal without rubbing your nose in it. Adding a obvious class system to a 'magical' place just screems of the outside world. If hardwear is all that matters it might as well be a 6 flags park. I wonder why would you even bother staying at towers. Its not a 2 day park if its enjoyable. (Few ques) with the lack of rides and shows.

The next time your in the park buying ypur fast track and thinking i wish this place was better. Know that collectively its everyone around you and you whos paying to keep alton disappointment.

For me Alton Towers still has a magical effect, for one I've noticed I am generally willing to go and chat to random people at towers, something I could never do out of towers.

Yes towers does honestly seem to have some positive impact in regards to my Asperger's!

That is really good to hear, credit should go to you though not just Towers, and you should be really proud of yourself :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can be a fan but still be critical of the thing you like... Otherwise if we all just accepted mediocrity the parks would stand still and decline and WAIT A DAMN MINUTE!

Totally right... Lets look at the big picture... When was the last major improvement or good surprise you had in Alton that:
A) was not a new or rethemed ride or rethemed area.
B) was not due to safety issues
C) was not long overdue because it was forgotten about or in a bad condition for one or two seasons prior.
D) was not forced upon them by long term commitments or English Heritage
E) was not an advertising gimik.

Totally right... Lets look at the big picture... When was the last major improvement or good surprise you had in Alton that:
C) was not long overdue because it was forgotten about or in a bad condition for one or two seasons prior.
The last thing like that was probably the Monorail and Skyride makeovers in 2009....

I think that's a little bit unfair. I am not sure you could answer that question for many other parks either. However Alton Towers has given us plenty of bad surprises and bad decisions recently and those are not being repeated by other parks. That's the difference.

People who continue to dish out wads of cash to Merlin whilst moaning about the place are akin to being in an abusive relationship and using the excuse "but I love him" to not leave.
Maybe, but us enthusiasts actually make little difference in the grand scheme of things. Even if we all boycotted the park it would make no difference to Merlin because we're a small fraction of their total visitors. By boycotting the park we'd only sacrifice our own enjoyment to try and prove a point to Merlin. While I agree with the principle, I can't personally subscribe to that view.

Very narrow perimeters you have set there

Very narrow perimeters you have set there

For a company that rates itself second to that of disney who add magic touches here and there without bragging about it i think its a relevant question. Maybe the quiet room was one magic addition but have we seen any themeing added to rides to embellish an area as opposed to fixing something thats been rotting for years?

For a company that rates itself second to that of disney who add magic touches here and there without bragging about it i think its a relevant question. Maybe the quiet room was one magic addition but have we seen any themeing added to rides to embellish an area as opposed to fixing something thats been rotting for years?

Fair comment but I think it is a bit unfair to rule out Wickerman as that is outstanding theming and great ride

Fair comment but I think it is a bit unfair to rule out Wickerman as that is outstanding theming and great ride

Is it unfair...? Its a new attraction so id expect a high standard but am i right in saying magic extras (effects) have been switched off? Disney randomly add to each shop, ride or experience. What bespoke magical product's does alton add? A piece of firewood!

Is it unfair...? Its a new attraction so id expect a high standard but am i right in saying magic extras (effects) have been switched off? Disney randomly add to each shop, ride or experience. What bespoke magical product's does alton add? A piece of firewood!

Not sure about the effects but I wouldn’t say that because something is new it is a guarantee of being great.

Whilst I am quite happy to slate Merlin for the VIP Annual Passes & all the paid Fastrack (i.e. the depth of your wallet is what controls how good a day you have if it's remotely busy)... I do think it is important to remember how Disney operate in Florida with FastPass+.

Yes, the system is far superior to any Merlin offering, but it is heavily weighted in the favour of Disney's premium guests (i.e. those staying in the 30 or so onsite hotels). They get to book their FastPass+ selections at 60 days out for the entire duration of their stay (soon to be 90 days for some of the top-end hotels I believe). The rest of us mere mortals who do not want to pay Disney lots of money to stay onsite get to book at 30 days out, on a day by day basis so get a rather limited choice of FastPass+ slots as the best ones have already gone. Anyone arriving at one of the 4 Disney Parks in Florida with a one day ticket has sod all chance of getting anything decent on FastPass+ on the day - all the big-ticket ride FastPass+ slots will have gone ages ago. You may just get timeslots for a minor ride - as long as you're prepared to be on-park early or stay very late.

By comparison, in California & Paris Disney use the "old" Fastpass system where you use your paper park ticket to get Fastpasses - much like the old free Fastrack at Merlin parks.

All onsite hotels are 60 days, I managed to bag a flight of passage FP for the same day, I think there should some kind of penalty for unused FPs (somebody having one and not using it) as it could go to somebody who is desperate for one.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.