• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It doesn't mean no one's a "fan", it just means that some of us find some sort of completely blind loyalty insane!

People who continue to dish out wads of cash to Merlin whilst moaning about the place are akin to being in an abusive relationship and using the excuse "but I love him" to not leave.

My mother loves me very much, but it was still her duty to point out the fact I was getting rather fat the other day.

Spending money at a theme park is the same thing as domestic violence

Maybe, but us enthusiasts actually make little difference in the grand scheme of things. Even if we all boycotted the park it would make no difference to Merlin because we're a small fraction of their total visitors. By boycotting the park we'd only sacrifice our own enjoyment to try and prove a point to Merlin. While I agree with the principle, I can't personally subscribe to that view.

I've heard this argument a lot and not just on these pages.

When you vote it makes even less of a difference to the result, most people think this way hence why rich old people end up selecting governments for us. I remember a documentary years ago about some snooty lady complaining about how Tesco was shutting small business down - WHILST loading Tesco shopping into the boot of her car, she used the same justification.

I'm not saying boycott completely in some silly little fan boy protest movement that no one will care about, I'm just saying that how much we're willing to give Merlin in exchange for these services depends on what we're personally happy with. I feel that the current amount of dealings (very very little) I have with Merlin represents good value in what I get in return from them.

But I don't see how some of us can have such vitriolic criticisms of the current state of Towers but keep renewing that pass, at a higher price, year after year. Or forking out on the outrageous Hotel prices this year or throwing cash after cheap tat merchandise in the gift shops etc etc.

The reason the park is in serious decline is because no one is telling them they need to change anything in the only true language they (and any business) understand, which is your custom. We're kidding ourselves if we think things will improve by having strong words to say about the place on here that no sod at Merlin with any power to change anything will ever read, or care about if they ever did.

I've heard this argument a lot and not just on these pages.

When you vote it makes even less of a difference to the result, most people think this way hence why rich old people end up selecting governments for us. I remember a documentary years ago about some snooty lady complaining about how Tesco was shutting small business down - WHILST loading Tesco shopping into the boot of her car, she used the same justification.

I'm not saying boycott completely in some silly little fan boy protest movement that no one will care about, I'm just saying that how much we're willing to give Merlin in exchange for these services depends on what we're personally happy with. I feel that the current amount of dealings (very very little) I have with Merlin represents good value in what I get in return from them.

But I don't see how some of us can have such vitriolic criticisms of the current state of Towers but keep renewing that pass, at a higher price, year after year. Or forking out on the outrageous Hotel prices this year or throwing cash after cheap tat merchandise in the gift shops etc etc.

The reason the park is in serious decline is because no one is telling them they need to change anything in the only true language they (and any business) understand, which is your custom. We're kidding ourselves if we think things will improve by having strong words to say about the place on here that no sod at Merlin with any power to change anything will ever read, or care about if they ever did.
I get that. However, they've laid off staff and would be in real trouble if another incident occurred. If too many boycott, and more staff are laid off, then you could be saying goodbye to the park.

Tricky one...

Well, visitor numbers have been down the previous few seasons and nothing improved. If anything they got worse. By your logic they would've been investing to get people back but all they did was get their excuses ready (terrorism, right?).

Well, visitor numbers have been down the previous few seasons and nothing improved. If anything they got worse. By your logic they would've been investing to get people back but all they did was get their excuses ready (terrorism, right?).
Not at all. They battened down the hatches, crossed their fingers and hoped for the best. Its not just about visitor numbers I might add, also about spending behaviour and that's where Merlin will form a strategy.

In fact, I'd wager that Alton Towers will see a significant increase in patronage this season. But having to spend millions on 1 new coaster and bribing people in with rock bottom, bargain basement ticket prices will probably mean they won't make a penny profit out of the park this year - the "investing to get people back" that you speak of - their bargain bin entrance Prices are the investment!

Perhaps they'll look at their ever changing P&L at an end of year accounts autopsy alongside their gate, retail, catering, accommodation and secondary spend figures and get to the answers we all wish they would? Maybe the numbers will tell them something? Perhaps they'll drastically change short and long term strategy? Maybe they'll find some winning strategy in the numbers? Who knows?

But one things for sure, they'll stop looking for the answers as long as there are plenty of blind loyalists throwing bundles of notes at them come rain or shine and through thick and thin! After all, why did the park get into to such a vulnerable state after the crash had it not milked efficiency savings out of a decade of massive under investment first where, up to that point, their strategy had been rewarded?

We have talked about this recently and came to the conclusion that we'll stop going when we stop having fun and we're nowhere near that, in fact quite the opposite, some of the best trips we've ever had have been this season or last.

I think quite a bit of that stems from the fact that what makes it a fun day is the friends and family that we visit with and the times we share with them. The rides, food etc are only a part of what contributes to our visit.

I also think a few things help us. One, we don't hammer it - a few visits a year is enough for us. I went to the WM VIP night in March, we went back in June and we've just booked Scarefest.

Secondly, having been visiting for decades, our desire to ride everything loads isn't there - those who wish to do that will be in for a tougher time at the moment, I don't deny.

If you visit every weekend or on your own, I can't relate - but I have to think your relationship with the park has to be different.

When the fun stops. Stop.

When the fun stops. Stop.

Gambleaware! If you think you may get on more than 5 rides on a busy day at Alton Towers (without having to fork out large sums for upsell Fastrack tickets) then visit. You may just be lucky as long as the rides keep working. If you don't want to take the risk, save your money and stop at home.

@Kraken27 With staggered openings gone, you can hit 4 big rides in the first hour if that's your bag. Not as easily as you can at Thorpe, with the longer walks between rides, but you can certainly take a stab at the X Sector & Dark Forest rides.

As long as you're not wanting to marathon Galacticair with the VR, you're good.

@Kraken27 With staggered openings gone, you can hit 4 big rides in the first hour if that's your bag. Not as easily as you can at Thorpe, with the longer walks between rides, but you can certainly take a stab at the X Sector & Dark Forest rides.

As long as you're not wanting to marathon Galacticair with the VR, you're good.

That's what we did the second time around

I ate at CCL Berger Kitchen yesterday and there was a free, unattended, drinks fountain but when I asked, they said you cant get free refillso_O
what's that about?

I ate at CCL Berger Kitchen yesterday and there was a free, unattended, drinks fountain but when I asked, they said you cant get free refillso_O
what's that about?
I got told free refills unless I have full sugar coke, and before anyone asks no it was a rare lanyard off moment for me

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.