• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
On another thought though, if say they did decide to (last moment) put the Dungeons in N:ST building they could probably do it much cheaper due to the smaller size.

But, the ride fits far far better behind the Towers, as by the very definition of a Dungeon, it is defined as an 'underground prison cell, especially in a castle'. With the Charlie building being right behind the Towers, it fits far better being there.

Then again we know Alton and theme continuity hasn't being a strong point in recent times. But, seeing as it is a Midway attraction, I would assume having it nearer the Towers is a free way to boost the overall theme factor of the ride and get a better ROI.

(Sorry I realise I am getting off topic here)

There’s no other logical reason to tie it to that scaffolding other than to reopen the ride then, surely?

Unless we’re overthinking it and its some kind of test for maintenance to see if the queue time board works and if the cables (or wireless infrastructure) that used to update the N:ST queue board still works for some strange reason. I really hope it’s not that. Also, could it have been behind the prohect 42 board the whole time and only be visible now they’ve removed the advisory warnings. It could have been for the person on the gate of the maze to look at (if it was facing in the opposite direction before or something) to advise guests if they asked how long they would be waiting- I’m pretty sure the maze queue times have appeared on ridetimes all years but this year. Perhaps they were going to have it show at the main entrance but decided not to so covered it up with the warnings board and we can only see it now. Who knows.

I took a lot of note that the N:ST egg was shown in project 42. I mean, what at all did it have to do with the virus storyline, they could have easily covered it up.

I do think we’ll see it reopen next year now or something go there though.

It is not ending up in that building. How the hell have people seriously drawn that conclusion, from what is quite clearly an old electronic sign getting cable tied to a piece of scaffolding. That is some ambitious 'drawing the dots together'.

It is also like me deciding to build a house, but buying the light fittings first.

Even if it was going in that building, they would concentrate on more important things first, like the actual attraction itself. Before non essential things, like used Que signs are placed onto existing and what was old theming.

It is going in the Charlie building, the design has been designed around the Charlie building since design work was started near the start of ths year.

To be fair I think you’re being slightly faceoutious here.

It’s not the fact that it’s an electronic sign being cable tied to a scaffolding - it’s the fact that it, at least appears to be, a queue timer, and it’s been cable tied to the exact place you’d expect to see a queue timer.

Now that means there’s likely to be a ride of some sort in there, and given the fact we know there’s going to be a dungeon attraction in 2019, and dungeon attractions tend to use drop towers, the link is hardly that hard to generate.

I personally think, and hope, it’s going to be NST, as you quite rightly point out, why would they do the queue timer before sorting the actual ride out? Whereas in the case of NST the ride obviously already exist so it would make sense.

Unless we’re overthinking it and its some kind of test for maintenance to see if the queue time board works and if the cables (or wireless infrastructure) that used to update the N:ST queue board still works for some strange reason. I really hope it’s not that. Also, could it have been behind the prohect 42 board the whole time and only be visible now they’ve removed the advisory warnings. It could have been for the person on the gate of the maze to look at (if it was facing in the opposite direction before or something) to advise guests if they asked how long they would be waiting- I’m pretty sure the maze queue times have appeared on ridetimes all years but this year. Perhaps they were going to have it show at the main entrance but decided not to so covered it up with the warnings board and we can only see it now. Who knows.

I took a lot of note that the N:ST egg was shown in project 42. I mean, what at all did it have to do with the virus storyline, they could have easily covered it up.

I do think we’ll see it reopen next year now or something go there though.
As far as im aware it's completely new infrastructure run into the new style queue signs.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

On another thought though, if say they did decide to (last moment) put the Dungeons in N:ST building they could probably do it much cheaper due to the smaller size.

But, the ride fits far far better behind the Towers, as by the very definition of a Dungeon, it is defined as an 'underground prison cell, especially in a castle'. With the Charlie building being right behind the Towers, it fits far better being there.

Then again we know Alton and theme continuity hasn't being a strong point in recent times. But, seeing as it is a Midway attraction, I would assume having it nearer the Towers is a free way to boost the overall theme factor of the ride and get a better ROI.

(Sorry I realise I am getting off topic here)

I agree. It would look much better there than in dark green storage containers. It’s just that they’ve got the galactica gates there that they could use in the winter which (trying to get back onto topic :tearsofjoy:) they’ve used a lot this season - including in the fireworks event as I’ve seen tweets where they’ve advised everyone other than hotel guests to use those gates instead of the main ones when leaving.

Last edited:
It appears the NST/Project 42 site has been fitted with a new electronic queue time display, it looks like it's one of the attractions.io powered ones.
(Photos not mine, I couldn't get to towers today ;( )
8c447ddbb73f9383be3043ad66157b7b.jpg
946869d49d257946f22448173eed3afc.jpg
ee6dbd17d4889da5bd0905e1466a41b7.jpg

I think NST will reopen. Like others said it seems a bit odd that this has been added at the end of the season and not in closed season.
It’s also turned on which is strange and the 3 question marks could stand for NST
It seems like a teaser that the ride will reopen for 2019

I personally hated it (sensory reasons relating to the things jabbing your back) but even I say it's a much needed ride to help spread queues out.

The concept is as good as any I’ve heard of, but then Merlin are great with concepts (the DB Ghost train could have been epic had it been pulled off correctly.)

Fingers crossed Merlin have learnt a lesson and are improving the ride whilst keeping the things which were good about it (ie that utter fear when the lights go off and you don’t know where the monster is etc.)

Even in project 42, the vaccine, or the disease I can’t remember which, is called ‘b10 NST’ so I’m pretty confident the ride is coming back.

I never actually got to experience the ride when it was open, so if it does re-open I will definitely try to give it a go. :)

It doesn't look much like a new sign to me? In fact it looks like it has been there a while with the rusting etc on those brackets. It seems to be the same sign that was used when the ride was open. I suspect it has just been hidden behind the other signage for the past 3 years.

20130826_img_4962_hursty.jpg

It doesn't look much like a new sign to me? In fact it looks like it has been there a while with the rusting etc on those brackets. It seems to be the same sign that was used when the ride was open. I suspect it has just been hidden behind the other signage for the past 3 years.

20130826_img_4962_hursty.jpg
I think everyone was just getting a bit excited about it possibly re-opening. :p

It does look like the original one, and the fact it is on is an indication that it is being tested.

I think everyone was just getting a bit excited about it possibly re-opening. :p

It does look like the original one, and the fact it is on is an indication that it is being tested.

I suspect it has been left switched on for the last 3 years.

I would quite like to see the ride re-opened, but I don't think this is any kind of indication that it will.

Does anyone know what the sticker in the top left of the screen says? It almost definitely seems to be the old board whether it’s on for testing or it’s just been uncovered by them moving the board. The sticker surely couldn’t be on still if it’s stayed up though?

I’ll be interested to see what signage they put outside the entrance next season if it doesn’t reopen as they’ve kind of exhausted the unknown entity claim now after project 42.

On another note, out of curiosity does anyone know why AT gets a new SW typically every 4 years when thorpe and Chessington don’t get a major development that often? Is it to catch up as towers had less to start with and are we likely to see the four year cycle continue into the next 20 years or so?

Also, do merlin own towers or rent it? I feel like I saw somewhere that they rented it off a Chinese company but I might be thinking of something else entirely!

Does anyone know what the sticker in the top left of the screen says? It almost definitely seems to be the old board whether it’s on for testing or it’s just been uncovered by them moving the board. The sticker surely couldn’t be on still if it’s stayed up though?

I’ll be interested to see what signage they put outside the entrance next season if it doesn’t reopen as they’ve kind of exhausted the unknown entity claim now after project 42.

On another note, out of curiosity does anyone know why AT gets a new SW typically every 4 years when thorpe and Chessington don’t? Is it to catch up as towers had less to start with and are we likely to see the four year cycle continue into the next 20 years or so?

Also, do merlin own towers or rent it? I feel like I saw somewhere that they rented it off a Chinese company but I might be thinking of something else entirely!
Theme park fans UK, some t*** seemed to have go round sticking stickers round the place.

On another note, out of curiosity does anyone know why AT gets a new SW typically every 4 years when thorpe and Chessington don’t get a major development that often? Is it to catch up as towers had less to start with and are we likely to see the four year cycle continue into the next 20 years or so?

Pretty sure Merlin owns Towers. If they rented it the park would probably have different owners by now. ;)

Pretty sure Merlin owns Towers. If they rented it the park would probably have different owners by now. ;)
Merlin own the buildings, rides and other structures but they lease the site itself from a investment company (prestbury or something like that)
When merlin first took over Tussauds they sold the freehold and signed 30 year leases, iirc Thorpe has the same deal.

When Merlin purchased Tussauds they sold the land of various parks (including Alton Towers) and they now lease them back on a 35 year lease. They used the money from the land sale to fund the purchase of Tussauds so they didn’t take on anymore debt.

All the parks tend to get a high investment year every 4 years, for AT a high investment year is generally an SW Coaster. But Merlin do make changes to the investment years so it doesn’t always run exactly to that time scale.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.