• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Oh yes of course, they cannot upgrade the cameras as it might trip out the local substation from the extra load they pull.

That's the right excuse to use, yes?

I am sure that excuse was discounted in another thread.

I am talking bandwidth and camera server loading. Most CCTV system run on a network backhaul systems to make them more flexible.

The more data (in this instant video feeds from cameras) the slower the backhauled data gets.
This can cause drop in image quality or complete freezing of the feed. In a safety critical environment this would not be acceptable.

During a major event. A single server for CCTV would have multi feed for rides. Security and events control all accessing it. And the risk of failure is high.

They only way to protect the ride CCTV would be a local server showing all ride cameras with a independent backhaul link to a main CCTV server.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

I am talking bandwidth and camera server loading. Most CCTV system run on a network backhaul systems to make them more flexible.

The more data (in this instant video feeds from cameras) the slower the backhauled data gets.
This can cause drop in image quality or complete freezing of the feed. In a safety critical environment this would not be acceptable.

During a major event. A single server for CCTV would have multi feed for rides. Security and events control all accessing it. And the risk of failure is high.

They only way to protect the ride CCTV would be a local server showing all ride cameras with a independent backhaul link to a main CCTV server.

Surely if safety was an issue, you'd run an analogue camera system where bandwidth isn't an issue, then have the archive stuff be done at the server itself.

We're getting way OT and far too serious for a simple joke lifte straight out the Alton Towers book of Excuses for Ride Closures I nicked from the RBO, but whatever lol

Why won't it be a budgeting issue though?
Merlin have lots of previous budget cuts, why can't this be seen as the latest in a long line of cuts?
Follows on from what they did with the Rapids.
I might be being naive here but why on earth would they close one of their most popular night-time coasters in the busiest time of the season for budget cuts - and for just 5 or 6 days AND at night?? Especially as earlier in Scarefest it was open to 9pm. To me that is silly. It's a ride that's been open every day (bar breakdowns and extreme weather) all season and they close it for 6 hours every day for the last 5 or 6 days of the season because all of a sudden they need to make budget cuts? Totally silly logic.

I personally think it would be down to temperature, lack of trained staff to operate it (staff sickness etc) or something else safety-wise like the emergency lighting not working or something like that - something safety related that is not required during daylight hours.

Of course if it opens tonight and tomorrow on warmer days then I think we can put it down to the temperature and/or weather.

Last edited:

Please correct me if I misunderstood your comment. If the cameras are critical to operation, wouldn't they run them over cable?

Speaking to a member of staff yesterday, apparently the min temperature was raised from 0 to 5 recently so that could be the issue.
I think what the issue is on warmer days is that if the temperature is say 7 degrees and slowly dropping , they close the queue to burn through the existing queue before it reaches the 5 degrees limit to prevent them needing to dish out fast passes. Looking in an operator cabin the other day, I noticed there is a temperature warning panel with green, amber and red on. Perhaps red is below 5 degrees and amber is 7 and predicted to go below 5 within the next couple hours, leading the operator to close the queue when an amber warning shows?

Last edited:
Fog is forecast for tomorrow....hopefully not too thick!
Won’t someone think of the CCTV, poor things won’t be able to see us happy people :D

Hopefully not that bad and is set to clear for lunch but Merlin’s “enhanced safety protocol” might upset things

If as @spinba11 says the operating temperature has been revised, is that from Merlin or the manufacturer?

Last edited:
Please correct me if I misunderstood your comment. If the cameras are critical to operation, wouldn't they run them over cable?
They would run the cameras to a communication cabinet using cat 5e or cat 6 network cable.
For SCO (safety critical operations) this would be a closed system with viewing system (server and display unit) that could have a separate network card on a vpn protected connection to a main server or backup system.

End of the day, whatever the problem the cold gives thirteen, certainly hasn't effected it before when I did it, a bloody cold temps

On the positive side, I think the park is looking in good health. Wicker man is master of a ride. Even the 3 hour queue didn't put me off.

They would run the cameras to a communication cabinet using cat 5e or cat 6 network cable.
For SCO (safety critical operations) this would be a closed system with viewing system (server and display unit) that could have a separate network card on a vpn protected connection to a main server or backup system.

The newer Avigilon system they have atm will have local servers dependent on location. All client PCs basically talk to each server to give them one system and be able to view live or recorded info from each server. Standard dell servers with raid backup per location. This will be viewed live from security and used for evidence from loss prevention in merlin offices.
Although they do have a lot of old analogue cctv around the site(ptz cams fitted by MEB nearly 20years old) the could potentially be added to the new system.

Wow, if Merlin are deliberately closing a major coaster on an extremely busy weekend because of budget cuts, that is absolutely appalling. A coaster down on a sell out day with probably loads of fast track sales, I would not want to be there today. Will be fun to check the queue times today
they're not! It's a temperature issue. It's suscepibie to both low and high temperatures - and Merlin are playing by the book.

I’m firmly of the belief that Merlin are using the manufacturer guidelines to their own advantage. It’s not exactly as simple as looking at the thermometer and saying “oh, it’s gone below 5°c, better close the ride!”. Once the ride has had all day to warm up, that just isn’t necessary, no matter what the book says.

Isn’t it also strange that TH13TEEN has operated just fine tonight, whilst the temperature has been similar all week and that resulted in it being closed every night until tonight... :rolleyes:

I’m firmly of the belief that Merlin are using the manufacturer guidelines to their own advantage. It’s not exactly as simple as looking at the thermometer and saying “oh, it’s gone below 5°c, better close the ride!”. Once the ride has had all day to warm up, that just isn’t necessary, no matter what the book says.

Isn’t it also strange that TH13TEEN has operated just fine tonight, whilst the temperature has been similar all week and that resulted in it being closed every night until tonight... :rolleyes:
Met office has the current temperature at Towers as NINE celcius and cloudy. Cloud in the winter holds the temperature in.

Different to last night, so that's why it's been open tonight, Temperature

I'm sure the only reason Merlin are closing Thirteen early is for safety's sake; they wouldn't want Thirteen to stall and the tabloids to report it as anything major!

I'm sure the only reason Merlin are closing Thirteen early is for safety's sake; they wouldn't want Thirteen to stall and the tabloids to report it as anything major!
Even though it has opened in the dark, in far colder weather, for the last 8 years? Even though it's probably the least likely ride in the park to stall because if left to it's own devices it will "overspeed"?

Yep. It's clearly been a death trap since it opened. How no one has died yet is beyond me. Better send Walter Peck round to shut the whole place down, quick!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.