• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Antelope at Gullivers Warrington in the mid 90s. One of my earliest memories is seeing it getting built, probably what planted the nerd seed in my head.

Antelope is OK, but always seems out of place in a park primarily aimed at young children.

Antelope is OK, but always seems out of place in a park primarily aimed at young children.
I probably rode it for the first time when I was about 5, it's fine as their headline ride tbh. Although it made more sense when they had that L&T wild mouse that opened a few years later, which RCDB tells me is now gone. There is(was?) a rapids too, there was enough for a family day out until I was tall enough for bigger things.

There's a useful list of wooden coasters on RCDB here.

So Megafobia (1996) is the newest wooden coaster in operation in the UK . The Antelope, Gullivers World (1995) is newest operating in England. Technically there are newer ones on the list but not in operation.

@Matt N You fell victim to a serious condition for a brief moment there- being American. ;)
PGGaY.jpg

IMO even if there was some tiny woodie built later on, Megafobia is the only real one that counts, because it was the one proper attempt to bring the Woodie Renaissance to the UK. What I'm wondering is, what if Megafobia was built at Alton or Thorpe at the same time instead of Oakwood and it got that bit more of attention....? One of the selling points of Wickerman sadly enough is that it's made of wood, so I don't think it would exist as it is now if that did happen; it would have to do more. Maybe an intamin prefab would of been chosen instead.

I was going to join the club then saw his comments and decided not to.

Anyway the general public will not know of them. And read the article at face value.

If it drums up more visitors then it done it job, even if the enthusiasts community thinks he is a sell out.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I'm pretty stunned to read this about homophobic comments - I've been a memeber of their club for quite a few years and i've never met a bunch of more accepting or fun people. Trips across America are a blast and there's quite a lot of LGBT folk on that bus when we do, myself included! LOL

IMO even if there was some tiny woodie built later on, Megafobia is the only real one that counts, because it was the one proper attempt to bring the Woodie Renaissance to the UK. What I'm wondering is, what if Megafobia was built at Alton or Thorpe at the same time instead of Oakwood and it got that bit more of attention....? One of the selling points of Wickerman sadly enough is that it's made of wood, so I don't think it would exist as it is now if that did happen; it would have to do more. Maybe an intamin prefab would of been chosen instead.

Part of the issue was Megaphobia opened in a smaller park only two years after Nemesis, Shockwave and the Big One. The new steel coasters were still taking most of the limelight. If Alton Towers has built Megaphobia we may not have got Oblivion....

It'd be a pain to remove too. I really like Oblivion, it's more forceful than the newer dive machines, even if they are better rides overall.

@Matt N You fell victim to a serious condition for a brief moment there- being American. ;)
PGGaY.jpg

The Americans are right about Ireland tbf. Doubt it'd be an Intamin unless it was built years ago, there's not been one in a while, no idea why, they seem popular, although I wasn't particularly enamoured with Balder. It'd either RMC or just a bigger GCI or Gravity Group

Would that be such a loss though? Oblivion is a bit pants tbh.

Megafobia was a big let down tbh, got better through the day but I'd still rather ride Nash tbh

what's with all the negativity against Andy Hine he works hard with the industry to bring new rides to this country .I have been on many trips with rccgb and never heard him bad mouth anyone.if it wasn't for Andy pushing Alton towers and merlin we wouldn't even be getting wickerman .

To be honest, this thread is a bit all over the place at the moment. I know it is a quiet period with construction completed and Alton Towers taking their usual closed shop approach to new attractions but let's try and keep discussion in this thread relevant to Wicker Man.

Thanks!

:)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.