• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I'm not sure I agree. Blackpool have released the name, a POV, and an approximate opening date, and the excitement is still there. I just don't think this has caught the same attention, maybe people are just getting wise to the "advertise high, deliver low" pattern of the last few years?

The excitement is there with Blackpool because it actually looks as though (fingers crossed) it could be a pretty good coaster. Whereas with SW8 you can quite clearly see the first drop is miniscule and it's incredibly short. Same old same old really.

I honestly think that when people ride this they will be positively surprised. The ride is short, but so is white lightning and it's awesome. The first part of the first drop is short, but from top of lift hill to bottom of the pit is a fair way down so pace will increase throughout this section. There will be airtime and the first part of the ride particularly looks excellent. It would look very different if it was built on a flat car park and the height changes would be more apparent. I think that GCI will deliver and the themeing is good. About 6 years ago people were praying for a compact GCI at the park, yes there are now RMC's about but this type of coaster hasn't got any worse and the experience of Adam Bede and John Wardley may well mean we get an excellent little coaster here. Wait until you ride it everyone!! I'm not saying that this is another Nemesis but imagine if Nemmy was being built now, people would be saying 'It's short' 'only a few inversions' 'such a basic layout' but it's still an amazing ride.

I'm not blinkered and think that Rita, Thirteen and the Galactica abomination are truly shocking but this ride really excites me!

Merlin really should have taken note of the way Busch Gardens Williamsburg marketed Invadr.

Right from the point the ride was announced they acknowledged that it was a family attraction, drummed up interest on social media letting the public decide a name, logo and even become part of the marketing for the ride

This grabs peoples attentions more than silly cryptic messages and some cringeworthy YouTube videos!

The old 'keeping everything secret' worked well for Oblivion because that was almost part of the theme itself and the park was doing something never done before.

I like the look of the ride, it seems like a solid family coaster in the same vein as the Runaway Minetrain or Thirteen, but like the latter, the marketing seems way off the mark.

As mentioned on previous pages, I think the days of keeping these things secret from start to finish are over and they should take a different approach with their next project.

I'm personally not against the park referring to them as SWs during development, but I'd like to see them announce earlier in future and for them to market towards the correct audience for the ride.

I understand that the vast majority of enthusiasts share the opinion that thirteen was not marketed correctly. But if it increased attendance and customer satisfaction was high then why would Towers want to use a different technique? As much as thirteen is a family ride adults still enjoy it and get just as much enjoyment from the 'suprise' element as people of other ages.

People need to stop worrying about marketing & gimmicks, and be happy that we've got the first Wooden Roller Coaster to built in the UK in 20 years, coming to Alton Towers. Honestly, reading some of these comments blows my mind, its ridiculous. Just enjoy and appreciate it for what it is, and save judgement until you've actually ridden it. It's becoming monotonous and tiresome now.

The excitement is there with Blackpool because it actually looks as though (fingers crossed) it could be a pretty good coaster. Whereas with SW8 you can quite clearly see the first drop is miniscule and it's incredibly short. Same old same old really.

The length of this coaster does worry me a lot.

Why does it worry you? It hasn't cost you a penny, you'd still be visiting regardless. Lighten up folks, it's better than nothing :)

I think it will be very lacklustre if it is very shorts, especially when compared to the length of The Smiler or TH13TEEN (their two most recent coasters).

We are paying for it - where do you think the admission prices and MAP sales go towards?

I think it will be very lacklustre if it is very shorts, especially when compared to the length of The Smiler or TH13TEEN (their two most recent coasters).

We are paying for it - where do you think the admission prices and MAP sales go towards?

As stated, you'd be visiting regardless :) We all would, it's what we do!

And in terms of your comments above regarding the length, Please - reserve judgement until you've actually ridden the coaster. Nemesis is very short, it's still one of the best roller coasters in the world. Oblivion is incredibly short, it's still the best adrenaline rush on park. If not the UK. The smiler in my opinion could be twice the length it is now, and still be the worst coaster on park. Size isn't everything ;-)

Merlin do seem to have a bit of an obsession with short coasters, but hey that just means more time to ride it again.

I think complaining about marketing is perfectly valid, look what happened to thirteen, they marketed it as a "phycoaster" and It got a load of reviews saying it was boring.
If the same thing happens here, do you honestly trust merlin to realise that its caused by the marketing and not by the fact that its wood and now ALL wood coasters will fail 100% of the time and should never be built again...because I don't...

As stated, you'd be visiting regardless :) We all would, it's what we do!

I won't be visiting regardless? I haven't renewed my MAP this year because of the endless restrictions and don't find their RTP as value for money anymore - the decrease in quality is too sheer to warrant the fee. I am therefore saving my money and putting it towards a visit to Blackpool to ride Icon and perhaps a Europa Park trip at some stage.

A small, wooden family coaster is not enough to tempt me back unfortunately.

Reactions: Dar
99% of the public don't care, they go to the park for the thrill, not spellbinding back story.

Thirteen was considered a success because the people the marketing was aimed at, went, and even now I still hear people asking what is in the building and then see them laughing their heads off on the way out at how great it was.

Towers seem to be actually cleaning up the park a bit and generally making it a more enjoyable experience for families which is exactly what it should be doing at the moment. SW8 looks to be a solid addition to the park with a nice surrounding area, some fantastic theming and a solid ride that might pack a punch just like White Lightning. The ride is certain to increase attendance as the GP has seen it being constructed throughout the year. That alone has resulted in essentially free marketing due to the mystery that surrounded the statue during the season before all of the closed season photos. We still no nothing about what the pre-shows will entail (maybe a dark ride style experience) and the actual ride looks to be great fun. Fair enough, us enthusiasts may not be as excited for this as we are for icon but this ride isn't being designed for us. It's for families who want a solid ride that has some thrills but are maybe too scared to try something like Nemmy first. This ride could usher in a new era of enthusiasts and that prospect alone excites me because it means I'll have more lovely people to talk about rollercoasters with. If that's all that comes out of this ride, I'll consider it a success.

Towers seem to be actually cleaning up the park a bit and generally making it a more enjoyable experience for families which is exactly what it should be doing at the moment. SW8 looks to be a solid addition to the park with a nice surrounding area, some fantastic theming and a solid ride that might pack a punch just like White Lightning. The ride is certain to increase attendance as the GP has seen it being constructed throughout the year. That alone has resulted in essentially free marketing due to the mystery that surrounded the statue during the season before all of the closed season photos. We still no nothing about what the pre-shows will entail (maybe a dark ride style experience) and the actual ride looks to be great fun. Fair enough, us enthusiasts may not be as excited for this as we are for icon but this ride isn't being designed for us. It's for families who want a solid ride that has some thrills but are maybe too scared to try something like Nemmy first. This ride could usher in a new era of enthusiasts and that prospect alone excites me because it means I'll have more lovely people to talk about rollercoasters with. If that's all that comes out of this ride, I'll consider it a success.
Are you sure you don't work for Merlin?!
You make a good point, the park has for a while not had much for guests who are too old for cbeebies but not quite ready for the likes of Nemesis or The Smiler. I've personally seen people complaining at the RBO about the lack of rides for that group(mostly big family groups).

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Haha, I don't work for merlin! I just love the park and talking with people who clearly care greatly for it just like me. I know we all like to bash Merlin for being some massive conglomerate evil but in reality, this new ride has been nothing but good so far. It's employed a load of carpenters and other trades-people, it's been great fun to watch it progress throughout the year and it's captured the GP's attention quite a bit. We're finally getting the woodie that we've wanted for Towers for years and I think it'll compliment the park wonderfully, massive thrill ride or not.

We're finally getting the woodie that we've wanted for Towers for years and I think it'll compliment the park wonderfully, massive thrill ride or not.

No, no no no no no no no no no. Please never ever again say that this is the woodie that we've wanted for years at Towers. I could just about put up with the other bits of your love-fest with Merlin, but this was too far.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.