• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2021: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I can't book either - mine's a monthly membership and there isn't an option for that. It comes up with an error if I try to book using the MAP reservation system
I'm wondering that because payments are currently frozen for monthly MAPs it see's your card as not valid maybe?

I just tried with my Premium Annual Pass. It accepts my pass number and takes me to the calendar, but no dates are currently available to book.

I just tried with my Premium Annual Pass. It accepts my pass number and takes me to the calendar, but no dates are currently available to book.
Passbook pre-books are available from March 8th. Just three days to go. :)

image0.jpg

Also....

I think it's extremely unlikely considering that TWoDW is yet to open, but could Towers be planning a new thrill flat this year??

Last edited:
I think there will be folk throwing their toys out of the pram here, but it's obviously going to be a temporary thing whilst a) indoor rides are closed/the park is at lower capacity and b) because they need flat rides urgently and have no Capex to do anything about it this year.

If people get on more rides in 2021 at Alton Towers because of it, and the park is operated/run well, and there's a couple of proper permanent ones added in 2022 or 2023, who am I to complain? Temporary rides will help them signal to Merlin the urgency of the situation.

Quite liking all the high and mighty twitter posts about it.

I’m a bit lost here, what is happening? A travelling Twister is coming to Towers on hire? Where is it being located?

I’m a bit lost here, what is happening? A travelling Twister is coming to Towers on hire? Where is it being located?

It seems that some geeks who are aware of the plans for 2021 have decided to leak some of the information online.

There is no hard information at present, but it seems Alton Towers are hiring in several travelling rides for the 2021 season for the reasons mentioned above. I would imagine that the relevant information will be available soon along with wider plans for the year.

To be fair , there’s some decently good rides on the travelling circuit . I just hope they’re spread through the park rather than a bunch dumped on the lawns or Fountain Square . Throw something in the old submission spot , one in Dark Forest , something on the Ripsaw site . It could work pretty well and if it alleviates queues somewhat it may finally show Merlin this is what the park desperately needs

If this is true, then it's a good idea. The park desperately needs support rides, and the situation with COVID has made that even clearer.

With Merlin pausing all future investments for the time being, surely getting in some temp flats is the next best thing? Even better if they prove successful and we get some permanent additions in the future.

Of course they never should've got rid of loads of them in the first place. Boneshaker, Submission, Twirling Toadstool, Ripsaw and even the Cinema should all have been replaced at the time.

Regardless, if true, then this is a good first step towards rectifying that.

Also recognising that you can't operate indoor attractions as easily during Covid and therefore trying to ensure there is a large enough ride line up should definitly be seen as a good thing. But more flat rides and indoor attractions are needed long-term.

It should also help the Showmen who own the travelling rides and may not be doing the best in terms of income.

Well I have to say regardless to them being temporary this is a really good idea. I also think its extra evidence now that towers are looking at virtual queueing for the big coasters and are therefore getting in more filler rides to keep people entertained while in virtual queues. I'm not a fan of flats but if it keeps guests spread out then I've not got a problem with it. Good work merlin

Nothing to do with Merlin. In fact, it's because Merlin are not allowing any capex currently (from a lower than it should have been starting point even pre-pandemic) that Alton have been forced into this move. Of course, it was Alton who shuttered rides like Ripsaw post-Smiler.

I take it the rumours came from a credible source? Or is there a chance that this is all just make believe?

If this is coming out of operating budgets I wonder if anything has had to be pulled elsewhere in order to divert the cash. I hope it doesn’t come at the expense of anything. Especially the likes of Oktoberfest.

I hope they make some effort on presentation so the place doesn’t start looking like a fun fair with rides just plonked. It would be like going back to 80s Alton Towers.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.