• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Damn I was holding hope that the station would be the one saving grace of this project, don't get me wrong I'm sure the landscaping will be drastically better in coming months but just look at the likes of nemesis reborn and forbidden valley compared to this project, I know hyper's aren't meant to be theming masterpieces but they also aren't meant to be straight up ugly.

I’m confused by the splash down.

Generally these are for visual effect for off riders right? Usually when you are on a ride with a splash down you don’t really notice it.

Given they have scrapped the plaza, and the views from the exit/queue are blocked by a 6 ft fence I’m not sure who will benefit from it?

Would have made for some great ‘Insta’ marketing for them if anyone could actually get a decent photo.

As we’re less than a week away from the big day, my question is; do we reckon that this will beat Nemesis Reborn’s peak opening day queue time of 275 minutes?

Thorpe are clearly expecting opening day to be busy, what with the in-depth plan they’ve outlined, but I’m actually going to predict that it won’t be as busy as Nemesis’ opening day. My reason for this is that Thorpe still appear to be selling tickets for Hyperia’s opening day (albeit at a pretty elevated price of £42), whereas Towers sold out on Nemesis’ opening day.

I’m just hoping that my visit on 10th June isn’t too busy and that some of the initial opening time hype has died down by then. Given that tickets are still being sold for 10th June at the very cheapest price of £29, I’m hopeful that it shouldn’t be too busy.

What is the throughput of this versus Nemesis Reborn?
Hyperia’s theoretical throughput is pegged at 1,050pph according to the planning application. With Thorpe having a heightened focus on throughputs in recent years and the ride having a nice, easy to operate Mack train to work with, I’m hopeful that Hyperia should have a fair shot at attaining somewhere close to this figure in the real world.

Nemesis Reborn has a higher theoretical of 1,400pph, but actual throughputs seem to be varying quite a bit, from what I’ve heard (and seen myself). On my 2-day visit to Alton in March, I saw sub-90s dispatches leading to a 1,300pph throughput average on one timing and dispatches over 2 minutes leading to a throughput average of below 900pph on another. In general, though, I’ve heard that operations on Nemesis seem to be quite slow this season compared to before.

I’m hopeful that it shouldn’t be too busy.
Always the optimist Matt!
I bet the queue will max out at about five hours, early on.
Going off the Big One opening, our last biggest coaster...though that was a world, not national record holder, the queue didn't often get less than a couple of hours all summer.
On your visit it will still be only three weeks old, the majority of students are out, and it will still be thoosie central for the whole country.
I'm waiting till September.

Going off the Big One opening, our last biggest coaster...though that was a world, not national record holder, the queue didn't often get less than a couple of hours all summer.
On your visit it will still be only three weeks old, the majority of students are out, and it will still be thoosie central for the whole country.
Maybe I am, but a few things lead me to believe that my particular day may not be too bad. Believe me, I’m not expecting it to be deserted by any means, as it’s the opening year of a major new coaster, but I’m hoping that my personal day of visit may be less rammed than the weekends or initial opening rush.

The main one is that tickets for my chosen day are still being sold at the cheapest price of £29 on the website. With Merlin now confirmed to be operating surge pricing, this would indicate that my chosen day is not going to be too busy relative to other days which have higher prices.

It’s also a weekday. I know students and such are out, but school trip season surely shouldn’t have begun that early in June, and I imagine that a weekday outside of the school holidays should be less busy than a weekend or school holiday day.

Even if the ride does get a massive queue, though, I’m in the fortunate position of visiting solo. So I should hopefully be able to bypass it to a degree with the Single Rider Queue. I’ve heard tales of people bypassing a 2 hour Smiler queue and walking onto the ride using the SRQ in opening year…

5 hours wouldn't surprise me. Who knows? Nice instructional videos aside, I doubt they care about crowds too much, more like pile 'em high. If they did, they wouldn't be opening it on a Saturday at the beginning of a bank holiday weekend, or selling day one fast track for it.

Will also be interesting to see how long the RAP queue gets, full of people who couldn't possibly wait more than 10 minutes for Vampire, but waiting an hour + for a new coaster on ride opening day is all good.

There'll be a number of people taking the day off and sat un the car park at 6am as they have nowt better to do.

Thorpe's capacity is also far smaller than Towers, so they NEEDED a sound plan to ensure it wasn't a complete mess.

Will also be interesting to see how long the RAP queue gets, full of people who couldn't possibly wait more than 10 minutes for Vampire, but waiting an hour + for a new coaster on ride opening day is all good.

Ah yes, all RAP users are cheating the system and don't have much choice otherwise if they want to actually ride the damn thing.

Besides, only one go on it will limit it somewhat. Will some go straight for it or wait till later in the day?

5 hours wouldn't surprise me. Who knows? Nice instructional videos aside, I doubt they care about crowds too much, more like pile 'em high. If they did, they wouldn't be opening it on a Saturday at the beginning of a bank holiday weekend, or selling day one fast track for it.

They’re actually opening it on the Friday, so it will already have been open for a day by the actual weekend itself.

Interestingly, the park have actually confirmed that they're limiting RAP to one ride per day on Hyperia, if I’m not mistaken, so it does seem like they’re trying to manage the RAP demand.

The Big One’s opening day was almost a third of a century ago which is almost ancient history in theme park terms. That’s way before theme park vloggers became a thing (and also before the rise of social media pushing targeted ads and content) and things would be managed quite differently I’d imagine at a free entry PPR seaside amusement park in 1994 compared to a Merlin park in 2024.

I think the best comparison to make would be to Nemesis Reborn’s opening day, but of course that was a retheme after a year long closure rather than a brand new ride. Perhaps Voltron is an even better comparison, but that the organisation for that was rather lacking by the park and luckily Hyperia’s has been better thought out. But to go back to Matt’s question I’d think that Hyperia’s queue in the opening days will be very long indeed.

Ah yes, all RAP users are cheating the system
Ah yes, because that's exactly what I just said wasn't it, and in no way an over exaggerated misinterpretation?
They’re actually opening it on the Friday, so it will already have been open for a day by the actual weekend itself.

Interestingly, the park have actually confirmed that they're limiting RAP to one ride per day on Hyperia, if I’m not mistaken, so it does seem like they’re trying to manage the RAP demand.
My mistake. I haven't been following it too closely. Just trying to plan when it'll actually be tolerable to visit and ride the damn thing. But if it's topping out at only 1050 pph, that may not even be possible this season?

My mistake. I haven't been following it too closely. Just trying to plan when it'll actually be tolerable to visit and ride the damn thing. But if it's topping out at only 1050 pph, that may not even be possible this season?
1,050pph is no small throughput. In Towers terms, that’s roughly on par with Wicker Man when it runs well, and when running well, I find that queue to be quite a quick mover!

Put it this way; it’ll certainly be quicker than the queue for something like Mandrill Mayhem at Chessington if it gets even close to 1,050pph!