• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

I'm not really upset with the name but the whole branding and promotion feels a lot lower quality than past merlin projects, there doesn't feel like there was as much thought into the identity of the ride other than it's big. Also I think the logo is kind of ugly i hope they change the font of the text.

The typography they’ve chosen looks almost like it should be a ‘steampunk’ theme. It doesn’t really match the ‘goddess’ thing they’ve chosen. I think that’s probably what is making the presentation of the logo look a bit cheap - the writing doesn’t match the background well.

I'm so gutted on Jack Silkstone's behalf that they didn't let him do the naming announcement, in a hard hat, on site. After 38 Exodus, sorry Hyperia, update videos with nothing to report, you would have thought they might have thrown him a bone!

I'm not really upset with the name but the whole branding and promotion feels a lot lower quality than past merlin projects, there doesn't feel like there was as much thought into the identity of the ride other than it's big. Also I think the logo is kind of ugly i hope they change the font of the text.
Are you sure they have not made him make it? I mean they seem to pay him in exclusives ;-) (sorry not a fan of his, and he's good at copying a style but if this is him for original work it shows.)

The logo is poor, like someone's first big attempt at illustrator. From a marketing pov how is that colour going to stand out on products? It's a bit faint and bland.

The wings are too robotic in look and movement to look Egyptian or natural.

Probably the worst Merlin coaster logo. Look at wickerman, the smiler and oblivion... iconic and clever. This is worse in terms of design than X:/No way out . I would take quantum, zodiac and vortex of this pile of garbage.

I'm in the wrong career if someone with a Marketing degree can just throw out 3 words like that and a multi-million pound company approve it.

Name is fine if bland. Doubt many in the UK even know of Energylandia, and there's numerous coasters across the world with similar naming conventions.

I think I quite like Hyperia, it certainly could have been a lot worse!

You know what I really like though? The whole tone of the video. It is not at all dark, it's refreshingly light and does feel almost heavenly. Something we are not used to from Merlin thrill coasters of late. So it's an overall thumbs up from me so far.

Shame, I think Icarus would've been a great name if they had managed it.

Still I don't hate Hyperia as a name and echo the above that at least it isn't another horror-themed ride.

Are you sure they have not made him make it? I mean they seem to pay him in exclusives ;-) (sorry not a fan of his, and he's good at copying a style but if this is him for original work it shows.)

The logo is poor, like someone's first big attempt at illustrator. From a marketing pov how is that colour going to stand out on products? It's a bit faint and bland.

The wings are too robotic in look and movement to look Egyptian or natural.

Probably the worst Merlin coaster logo. Look at wickerman, the smiler and oblivion... iconic and clever. This is worse in terms of design than X:/No way out . I would take quantum, zodiac and vortex of this pile of garbage.
Oh, I was entirely being facetious!

I think I quite like Hyperia, it certainly could have been a lot worse!

You know what I really like though? The whole tone of the video. It is not at all dark, it's refreshingly light and does feel almost heavenly. Something we are not used to from Merlin thrill coasters of late. So it's an overall thumbs up from me so far.
I really like the video too! The name fell a little flat with me - will give it time though, I'd gotten used to Exodus and don't like change 😂! I think it's actually quite clever to market it as this beautiful, heavenly experience where you'll 'never fear again' - it's a likely scenario the GP could see it as daunting, especially if it had been a darker theme that taps into creating fear whereas, the almost ethereal feel of this (in my opinion) draws you in to experience it, regardless of the height/elements.

Like you say @Rob - refreshing! 😊

I share Robs view that it's refreshing to see something different.

Reading the last few pages I can't help feel a lot of dislike extends from assuming a Egyptian or Greek theme when this was never actually stated.
As I mentioned previously the park have been very quiet about this ride. Compared to Nemesis's campaign that's been very clear with its message (while still mysterious). With this we've only had a few hints... that for all we know could have been thrown together by front line staff.
So with nothing to go on we've started guessing what it could be.

When you consider that only 2 of the possible names were being registered as trademarks, and Hyperia was the only successful one, it was obvious what the name would be.

As an enthusiast I also feel it's a little bland. Both because other rides have very similar names, and it's not far off calling the new hyper coaster "hyper coaster". But outside of Enthusiasts no one will care about that! And considered in those terms it's as good as classic names like Nemesis and Oblivion (no adding 'The' in front or inserting random nu3bers), which I see as a win.

Coaster names are always a funny one, it is quite rare to like a name from the off, especially when it comes a little out of the blue and you have got used to calling it something else. I can think of many coaster names I really didn't like when announced, but you grow to learn and like them, and cannot imagine them being called anything else.

I'm definitely more interested to see where they take the theme and story with this than I have been for other Merlin coasters! It feels different, and because of that I really hope it succeeds.

“Find Your Fearless” as a tagline really bothers me.

Face Your Fear? Yeah, that would have been absolutely fine. Become Fearless would have worked as well, no problem.

But Find Your Fearless just sounds wrong and doesn’t make much sense, it’s almost like it’s a typical Merlin typo that had somehow gotten approved!

“Find Your Fearless” as a tagline really bothers me.

Face Your Fear? Yeah, that would have been absolutely fine. Become Fearless would have worked as well, no problem.

But Find Your Fearless just sounds wrong and doesn’t make much sense, it’s almost like it’s a typical Merlin typo that had somehow gotten approved!
Sounds like an inspirational Gen Z (Zoomer?) TikTok quote. For once the typical "you're" "your" typo would have actually improved this. Find You're Fearless / Find You Are Fearless. Maybe it IS actually a typo?

Last edited: