• ā„¹ļø Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Iā€™m not buying the tagline at all, makes no sense to me. Borrowing names from mythical gods is a bit lazy. Surely it was supposed to be ā€œyouā€™reā€?

The theme is an interesting one, I think they have gone for records rather than quality of ride. Will have to reserve judgement until it opens but Iā€™m looking forward to Nemesis being back more than this one. It will take more than a big drop and high speed to convince me of it being a decent ride.

Out of interest, is it known how many trains the ride will run?

I was initially thinking 2, but quite a few coasters as of late run 3 trains despite not being overly long rides. As an example, the likes of Orion run 3 trains, and even within Merlin, Wicker Man runs 3 trains while not being ridiculously long. Hyperia is set to have smaller trains than either of these (Wicker Man has 24-rider trains and Orion has 32-rider trains, while Hyperia only has 20-rider trains), and although the ride lacks an MCBR, I did wonder whether the final brake run might be long enough to be split into multiple blocks to facilitate 3-train operation, as is the case with a ride like Orion.

From where Iā€™m standing, 3-train operation would ensure that there is always a train in the station, whereas 2-train operation would mean that there was a gap between the second train dispatching and the first returning.

Took the words from my mouth sir!
Three trains first summer, then two at peak, one off peak, then they will tear one apart for parts, so a maximum of two (when you are lucky) ever after.

I'd be amazed if they buy three trains for it. It'll probably stack on 2, they just need to stick a fast lift on it and the train will be back with time to spare.

It could have a fast lift, I guess. DC Rivals has a pretty fast lift hill, so it wouldn't be too much of a surprise if Hyperia had one. And if that were the case, Iā€™d imagine that the 2-train throughput might be higher than we expect.

I am surprised that people expect it to only typically run 1, though. Iā€™ve repeatedly heard this notion of Thorpe always running 1 train on things for years, but Iā€™ve spent 11 days at the park in total, under a variety of different conditions, and never personally seen a ride running 1 train. Thorpe Parkā€™s operations arenā€™t Europa Park or Universal Orlando calibre, but I mostly find them to do a relatively decent job with the rides they have, and I donā€™t see why Hyperia would be any exception given that it will have some of the parkā€™s most tactile, easy-to-check trains.

On my modest three visits, admittedly all off peak (and free), we had lots of short queues with single train ops.
No chavs, nice days, friendly staff, nice times, company, food and drink.
Strange but true.
Can't wait for this, another family/friends overnighter excuse, always look forward to a shiny new coaster.

It's Thorpe. Expect 1 train ops.
Have you been in the last couple of years? Last couple of seasons Thorpe is overall by far outstanding in it's ops compared to all the other Merlin Parks and have yet to have a visit bar one this last two years without the 2 train coasters on less than that.
I am surprised that people expect it to only typically run 1, though. Iā€™ve repeatedly heard this notion of Thorpe always running 1 train on things for years, but Iā€™ve spent 11 days at the park in total, under a variety of different conditions, and never personally seen a ride running 1 train. Thorpe Parkā€™s operations arenā€™t Europa Park or Universal Orlando calibre, but I mostly find them to do a relatively decent job with the rides they have, and I donā€™t see why Hyperia would be any exception given that it will have some of the parkā€™s most tactile, easy-to-check trains.
Agree with the above. The one train nonsense was sorted out around 2019 and the park run relatively well with less oversold fast track and less RAP than the other parks. Stealth has a bit of time this year due to an issue but that was soon resolved.

It won't really need a third train as ride time is 40 seconds from top of lift, which is about the same as Zadra for time comparison. I'd say total ride time 1:20.

Last edited:
I'm so gutted on Jack Silkstone's behalf that they didn't let him do the naming announcement, in a hard hat, on site. After 38 Exodus, sorry Hyperia, update videos with nothing to report, you would have thought they might have thrown him a bone!
Wouldn't be the first time he acted surprised about a project that he knew the details of all along.
Unless a name involves something vomit related, it's probably the most inconsequential part of a coaster is not?
Sik m8

I have a feeling the ride will be more "stylised" than "themed". Also, in the video the soundtrack seems to match up perfectly with the train going through the layout... either clever editing or a hint to onboard audio. An onboard soundtrack would be great if so! Just speculation at this point of course, though.
To be honest, the majority of the coasters at Thorpe are like this. Stealth, Colossus, Inferno, for instance, aren't really 'themed'... there's no storyline behind them or anything. They definitely have themed elements, but they don't really play much of a big part in the overall experience like they do at Towers and Chesssington, in the sense that I can imagine a Colossus or a Stealth without theming - I can't imagine a Nemesis or a Vampire without theming. Whatever theming the coasters at Thorpe do have is just sort of there as an afterthought (I've always felt, at least) and the coaster is the main attraction. I just hope Hyperia has some theming. Would be such a shame to just have a bare coaster, with nothing else, at a Merlin park.