• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Live - Saturday 6th July 2013

Certainly not my musical taste, however all very current and successful artists in their own rights.
I can hardly blame the park for choosing bands who are in the charts and going to get the crowds in, especially when the crowds are mainly going to be teenagers with (their parents) disposable income.

I know some people on here would prefer more 'mature' acts but it isnt ever going to happen, you arent going to get (as mentioned in this topic) Rammstein playing an afternoon / evening gig, without alcohol sales in family theme park. Sorry to shatter your dream, but thats why these bands play arenas and pop artists go to Alton Towers.

I imagine it will be rather popular, not my cup of tea, but I do love to see music at Alton Towers and I hope it continues for a long time/

It really annoys me when people complain about things just because they can't appreciate other people's tastes, it's very narrow-minded.

Words fail me.

To those complaining. Did you forget that AT Live is a 100% family event?

The latest pop artists is exactly what kids aged 5-12 listen to and is exactly who Alton want in the gates.

Hooray some sense! Completely agree, it's pretty much exactly what it should be for a concert at Towers. The 2011 event was really good fun and really well organised. And I think this year's will be even better!

:)

AstroDan said:
The latest pop artists is exactly what kids aged 5-12 listen to and is exactly who Alton want in the gates.
...that's a generalisation, at that sort of age I was probably still listening to whatever my parents put on, and so developing a healthy distaste for modern pop music... but yeah, I respect what you're trying to say, and you're quite right :)

That IS why I added the second part of my post; from a personal point of view, I'll avoid the event like the plague, and I doubt I'm the only one saying that, but for the park and their target market, it's win:win, so I can basically sit down and shut up. And I shall, cheerfully :p

Going to this event would be my literal vision of hell on earth. I would rather beat myself into a coma with my own foot.

Where will they hold this concert? Assuming it's in front of the towers how will they 'ring fence' it from the normal park guests?

I'm sorry to burst the 'NOBODY OVER THE AGE OF 11 WANTS TO GO' bubble, but.. I quite like the look of the line up!

I feel the acts are varied enough to bring in a wide enough range of people - even middle aged women like Olly Murs!

The main aim for Towers is getting a full house and, quite frankly, they don't care if die-hard enthusiasts and non-mainstream music fans turn their noses up :p

Reckon it could be a good turn-out :D

Knew this would bring out the music snobs in force... *mega eye roll*

The lineup is nice, I've heard of most of them and it sounds like it should be a lovely family friendly evening - and one that I'd genuinely consider going to despite not being the biggest Rizzle Kicks fan (not that I'm familiar with much of their stuff!)

I think it'll get a big turnout and should be a great event; those of you who don't want to go, spend the money on a ticket for bands you'd rather see, but no-one's impressed by acting like you're oh-so above mainstream popular music. Loads of others like the same music you do, and perhaps dislike pop, and manage not to act cliquey and holier-than-thou about it.

I was at a Richard Thompson gig the other night, I'm currently listening to Porcupine Tree, and I'm really looking forward to this concert :)

Well. I joked and was shot to pieces.

There really is that many mistakes in my posts?! Damn this Tapatalk milarky! :)

My tastes in music are incredibly mainstream. I like the Beatles, Nirvana, Pink Floyd etc. who have albums that have sold millions of copies. It's not unpopular music I like, it's music that pleases my ears. I don't care what other people listen to, but it doesn't appeal to me and I don't appreciate it. Generally, I don't mind pop artists who create they're own music, but those who don't even right music are not valid artists in my mind, and I can't respect them when they're stopping hundreds of potentially great artists from prospering and doing well.

I've said I won't be attending, and I won't, but that doesn't mean that the concert won't do well, because it'll do very well. I'm very happy for all those who want to go to attend, and I'm not going to tell you to go home and listen to some Led Zep, because you all have free choice on what you listen to.

I'd just thought I'd point out that I was not for this type of music, but obviously you all couldn't take me just stating that I didn't like it, so I had to go into greater detail to why I dislike it. Not hate, but dislike it. Although it's likely some people who like this music may have not heard anything from great artists, such as those I've mentioned, and are not really able to judge properly. Who knows, it could be that after branching out a bit, some would begin to think that this type of music is not as great as you do now.

I understand that a fair few people like Rock on here etc but as it keeps being mentioned and mentioned over and over again Alton Towers is being marketed as a family resort. Personally I consider the last one to be a success Alton Towers Live that is, and it's like I also said they didn't HAVE to put on another concert if they didn't want to!

Fair play Alton for taking the plunge again! And again good luck! I hope it works out well and hope there will be one once a year or every other year! :)

I have no doubt that it will be a success, and I'm genuinely interested in the logistics of holding such an event at the park, but I also reserve the right to state that I believe these particular artists are abominations to music. :p

Now, in a vain attempt to pull this back on topic does anyone have any info or pics from the last such event (Pink was it?) How did they keep park guests away from the concert and vice-versa?

From what I remember from P!nk (correct me if im wrong #getcorrected) The park closed then re-opened when all guest had left for the day? And a hell of alot of people turned for for P!nk. For me personally, I think it was one of the most successful concerts Alton has held in history! Bloody amazing it was!

'Music snob' - because I have to be made to feel bad for finding stagnant pop music made by Simon Cowell to line his pockets by exploiting the ovaries of teenage girls.

The whole "they need to get chart acts to sell" doesn't stack up. Festival line ups are getting more chart oriented and attendances are dropping. In contrast, look at Jodrell Bank Observatory. When they first started doing concerts in 2011, they booked The Flaming Lips, and sold if not all, almost all the tickets, at a slightly larger capacity. Last year they sold all their tickets for Paul Weller and Elbow. Granted, they're more relaxed with alcohol than Alton, but Alton could easily manage it. Don't allow alcohol outside the arena, don't let anyone who seems drunk out of the arena and maybe limit how much one person can purchase.

I get they want to target young teenagers who'll need their parents to take them because they spend the most money, but just as many teenagers don't like this sort of music. Why not get bands that a range of people will want to go to see rather than excluding so many customers?

This topic is absurd. Whilst it's not quite the same thing, I feel the same towards people slagging off this line-up as I do about people complaining about gypsies visting for two or three days a year.

I love theme parks, but they are usually literally aimed at somewhere slightly above lowest common denominator - they don't make so much money off a promotion in The Sun for nothing. If you want to avoid Olly Murs, go to the National Gallery or Beamish. Not to mention that 'real music fan' on Towers Street usually means 'Muse', who, despite what they would have you believe, are as experimental or alternative as mini Twiglets.

Plastic Person said:
Not to mention that 'real music fan' on Towers Street usually means 'Muse',

Ha, because that's the only artist I like. And I never said it was "real music", because all music is "real"- except for music that the artist didn't write.

I've already said how I expect this to do very well, and understand how the artists they have chosen are practical and sensible. Am I not allowed to state that I'm not very fond of that music? Or do I have to accept the music that's all over the charts, because I'm a mindless sheep?

Alton Towers did 'Alton Towers Live' in 2011, they are bringing the event back this year so clearly the 2011 event sold well and they are confident the same will happen this year. Pop acts work well for Alton Towers' range of guests.

I value peoples views against the choice of acts. However I think some comments have been absurd in this topic, stating that this will be a flop only due to personal opinion. I've seen the BEP concert used as an example. Although that was probably the worst advertised event in Alton Towers' history. It was just not advertised at all. With this event being something Alton Towers oversee they will be able to pump up some good marketing for it. Along with the organisers and acts themselves, this could prove to be very popular.

Theoretically I'd love to see Towers additionally try aiming at some other demographics with concerts, but in reality when with local restrictions they're probably lucky to be allowed two concerts a year (if that), taking financial risks is probably not the best move :)

Nick said:
Or do I have to accept the music that's all over the charts, because I'm a mindless sheep?
Not at all, but a lot of people seem to be labouring under the impression that you have to be a mindless sheep to like chart music!

Plastic Person said:
...Not to mention that 'real music fan' on Towers Street usually means 'Muse', who, despite what they would have you believe, are as experimental or alternative as mini Twiglets.
I don't wish to get into some 'my music is more unpopular than yours' pissing competition with you, because it's pointless and because you won't win, but I think you may be judging that on the most recent 2 Muse offerings, which is slightly unfair. OK, it might not be 100% original, but at least they were borrowing ideas from things which sounded good, rather than from whatever happens to be popular at the moment.

HOWEVER, whilst I reckon they could put on an amazing show at Alton, I don't think we were talking about Muse...
Personally, I think Nick's 7:46 post hit the nail on the head, but I'm going to add to that by drawing a parallel with some of Alton's other family entertainment in the past. In the early 2000s, the park played host to Barney the Dinosaur and the Tweenies, and personally, I'd rather spend a day trapped on a pinfari looper than sit through either, yet the shows were nevertheless successful at attracting younger ages, and in turn, their parents, and in turn, their wallets. These shows weren't targeted at me, nor did they offend me - since they were easily avoided, and the point I'm making is that this is precisely how I feel about this concert, but I see complete sense in Alton arranging it the way they have, just as I can see that it would make no sense to throw on 5 acts I would enjoy, in turn alienating everybody else in the park. And their neighbours ;)
I'm fairly confident the concert itself will not be a flop. The park will mostly likely be overly busy, and this will annoy people, and getting away afterwards will be a nightmare, and this will also annoy people. These points aside, I'm not rubbishing the idea. In case I didn't make that clear already!! :)

GAGrathea said:
Nick said:
Or do I have to accept the music that's all over the charts, because I'm a mindless sheep?
Not at all, but a lot of people seem to be labouring under the impression that you have to be a mindless sheep to like chart music!

Ha of course, I'm not doubting some of the people on here, it's mainly the younger audiences who are at fault for this generalisation. Mainly because they haven't opened their mind to other music genres, and of course, think what they have listened to is the best music. If you've listened to several genres and still prefer this chart pop, then you're entitled to have you're belief that it's better, but you can't be closed-minded and say this music is the best. It works with other genres as well, I'm not just talking about pop.