• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Live - Saturday 6th July 2013

Even though this isn't my type of music I'm still pretty sure this will be successful :) I'm sure that the first Alton Towers Live was just about sold out? It was much more successful than the Black Eyed Peas anyway :p and I'm even tempted to go just so I can see Rizzle Kicks live :)

I want to go to see Rizzle Kicks and Labrinth, yet my favourite band are Gallows. Where would this place me?

I expect this event to sell out quite quickly if I'm being honest. As has been said, they've hit the nail on the head with the line up in my eyes towards which demographic they'll be targeting this at. Good work :)

I saw Labrinth at the Black Eyed Peas concert, and he was quite good :) annoying that it was just before Earthquake came out though as that would've been awesome live :)

This event is sure to have mass market appeal, which is great for the park. Like it or not in the grand scheme of things, some of the acts are huge for the younger market.

I know some would be keen for a more festival based gig, but I just don't think it would suit the park and the atmosphere they'd like to create. I think considering we have The Smiler this year, we can forgive them for a day of family focus :p. It's where a lot of the money has come from for SW7 afterall!

After the problems with sales for BEP, I'm just glad to see something back. Some would say it's a bit of a 'safe'event as ticket sales are pretty much guaranteed to be brilliant, but it's worth considering this could be a stepping stone possibly for more gigs possibly from individual artists. Who knows, we could end up with Bryan Adams back there again :p.

I hate music snobbery... Everyone likes different things but with this announcement, no matter *who* was placed on the bill, there would be people moaning about it for whatever reason. Music just seesm to drive opinion more than anything else.

It looks like an exciting line up for the Towers and one that is sure to do well - which is what is needed if live events are to be considered in the future! It's being run by AEG Live anyway, so I'm sure it will do fine as they're absolutely huge and already have one sister event lined up:

NE_banner_615x250now.jpg

Even for mainstream pop music, aren't these acts kind of has-beens? I don't follow the scene much, but I get the impression that Rizzle Kicks and JLS were the big thing one or two years ago now...

This is a great line up for a family concert, in a family theme park.
I am no huge pop fan but know all of these artists and even half of these would likely sell a lot of tickets.
Predict this will be a success (ticket sales wise).

Sam said:
Even for mainstream pop music, aren't these acts kind of has-beens? I don't follow the scene much, but I get the impression that Rizzle Kicks and JLS were the big thing one or two years ago now...

I wouldn't say has beens but more to the point even if they said the line up was Robbie Williams, Bon Jovi and Elton John then we would all be saying "Yeah but the cost of £200 a ticket is stupid.

I think its a fine line up for a family oriented park.

Sam said:

Actually, not wanting to disagree, but I think that most of acts are pretty up to date and recent. Perhaps JLS have had their day but I'd say that Rizzlekicks have only become famous in the past year, really. :)

Doesn't change the fact that they're all still dire. But I do approve of the whole concert, and it's great to see the park still pushing for events despite the huge budget put into The Smiler.

It's not my music forte but I can't see a problem with the line-up. It goes exactly for the demographic who would want to mix a day at a theme park with a concert.

Adds some variety to the season and doesn't affect me as I can happily avoid a concert I'm not interested in and happily watch it be a success for the park at the same time.

As long as it's advertised, it will do well! No question.

This is exactly the type of line-up we get at the Girlguiding Big Gig's - the last one I went to with my unit was Wembley Arena in October 2011, we had Olly Murs then alongside Pixie Lott, Eliza Doolittle, Dionne Bromfield, Ed Sheeran and The Wanted (plus a few others). The one in March had JLS, Little Mix and Lawson. I'm expecting most of those on the AT bill to crop up at the next one in June too! And no, most of those acts I couldn't give two hoots about, but the girls always have a great time and that's the main thing. I know it's not a concert for leaders but 10-15yr old girls. Incidentally the Big Gig has become so popular, Oct 2011 was the first time they'd added a Sunday concert on top of the Saturday afternoon and evenings ones because the demand was so great and 20,000 tickets just weren't enough.

AT have picked exactly the same audience for this. So a bit of a no brainer for them to guarentee success (especially after the BEP flop). Even if it is squarely aimed mainly at early teen girls.
I guess simplistically if you don't like the lineup, don't waste your £55. Basically, musical tastes aren't the main factor in this, just making sure it sells out and with that group of park visitors it will. If you're a chart pop fan it's a great line up, if you're not it's not, lets not get snobby. (And everyone has at least one embarassing band/artist they liked somewhere along the line. Taste comes with time and age...)

It could have been nice if they picked to do this line up one weekend, but something more alternative/indie but still 'chart names' for a slightly different but still family friendly audience on another weekend to balance out the demographic slightly though. I think that would do just as well.

In terms of marketing/market/aims it is absolutely spot on.

However, many of these are Cowell-ites, and for every successful singer/artist there is, there are trails of broken, confidence destroyed, talented youngsters. Many of those that do, are ridiculously exploited (always follow the money, Rule No1 of journalism), miss out on normal lives and upbringing, and these are supposed to be the people we encourage our kids to look up to, right?

How on Earth do you lot think Cowell got that rich? By being a really nice young gentleman helping up coming artists? That man bought a plague of ruin to the music industry, and many lives along the way (though I forgive him for really launching Diversity - his one accidental real success, not farmed). Anyone recall the Auto Tuned X-Factor? Enjoy watching the music industry turned into some freak circus show with a baying crowd?

Watch this video, it says it all:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151428843259073&set=vb.787094072&type=2&theater

Do I expect Towers to know or care? Of course not, and it will no doubt be fantastic for them of course! Calling distaste for this aspect of music "snobbery" however? Do me a favour.

I have no issues with peoples taste in music, enjoy what touches or motivates etc - however, real popular music, does not require endless auto tuning, dancing rehearsals, and haircuts, whilst making that furry vested egit a few more billion.

That is not music, and it robs properly talented singers, artists, musicians etc of what should be their income.

However, like every fad, it will pass - thankfully, especially as it gets harder to botox his face.

EDIT:
A few posts vanished lol, I have to post this video though and also add, this is nothing personal against SC or the artists themselves - simply the real effect it has on the industry and aspirations of fantastic artists/singers/bands and producers worldwide.

Anyway, regardless, this really is a very amusing example of pop music - at it's worst!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr2ZKhV6eKc

;D

In light of some interesting discussion and debate about music tastes and the industry, which had totally wandered away from the Alton Towers Live event, I've split the posts off into a handy new topic in Corner Coffee!.

Please continue any general music discussion in there! :)

*dusts off the Back On Topic, Please! inflatable hammer*

TheMan said:
In terms of marketing/market/aims it is absolutely spot on.

However, many of these are Cowell-ites, and for every successful singer/artist there is, there are trails of broken, confidence destroyed, talented youngsters. Many of those that do, are ridiculously exploited (always follow the money, Rule No1 of journalism), miss out on normal lives and upbringing, and these are supposed to be the people we encourage our kids to look up to, right?

How on Earth do you lot think Cowell got that rich? By being a really nice young gentleman helping up coming artists? That man bought a plague of ruin to the music industry, and many lives along the way (though I forgive him for really launching Diversity - his one accidental real success, not farmed). Anyone recall the Auto Tuned X-Factor? Enjoy watching the music industry turned into some freak circus show with a baying crowd?

Do I expect Towers to know or care? Of course not, and it will no doubt be fantastic for them of course! Calling distaste for this aspect of music "snobbery" however? Do me a favour.

Yes I used the word 'snobby' but in the context of there being quite a lot of opinion of peoples musical tastes already here and I didn't feel that was the point of the topic. Will it be a success for AT on the basis of who they've booked? Yes.
It's fair to state you wont go because the act's don't appeal personally, I don't think it's necessary to go further than that and start casting opinion on wider musical taste of those who will, which some had. That was my only reason for using that word.

EDIT: I'll shove the rest of this post in the off topic area.....

And oh god, that Boyzone performance is toe-curlingly embarrasing, I cringe every time I've seen that. Though Gay Byrnes comment at the end is hilarious, just his sarcasm and the irony of it! :D

It'd be hilarious if one year they just slotted in Cannibal Corpse amongst the chart pop acts. At least someone would be happy ;)

Tom

Having missed it two years ago, really pleased to see this will be making a return! Yes, the music isn't to my taste particularly, but for me, live music is as much about the atmosphere as the music itself - and thus I think it'll be a really good (and popular) event :D

Plus I have a secret liking for modern pop music!

This will certainly have great appeal to some of the family market and young teenagers, but pretty much excludes everyone else.

In the 1990's they had the likes of James, M People, Wet Wet Wet, Tina Turner and Bryan Adams performing all of which were better acts than in this line-up.

:)

Im a teenager and I listen to about absolutley everything, including rock and punk and all the good old bands, however I also listen to modern stuff, pop being one of them because well... its so popular! This is absolutley perfect for families, parents would have seen these artists on tv or heard them on the radio so they wont feel alienated by 'kids music' and vice versa. In all honesty its a pretty strong line up for such a cheap event!

Although I have to admit, one or two acts like madness wouldnt have gone a miss. Its also a shame they couldn't have bagged beyonce, now they would have been gone in seconds if its aanything like her arena tour this year!

I've never heard of the last four on there and I couldn't list a single song made by any of the others. :p