• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Anything Radioactive Topic

I got to the bit about what radiation sickness does to you, and wanted to vomit. It sounds truly horrible and excruciating. I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

I got to the bit about what radiation sickness does to you, and wanted to vomit. It sounds truly horrible and excruciating. I wouldn't wish it on anybody.
This is one rare example of why yanks and their gun culture can be a good thing... If the bomb drops and they survive the initial blast, at least they have the option of shooting themselves, unlike us. :(

there are different ways of escaping the horror of post atomic explosion wastelands.

I can't even begin to comprehend how horrific it must have been for those affected by that radiation.

I'm so glad that I wasn't born during the Cold War, I would have been in perpetual fear of the possibility of being subjected to such horrors.

Just to change the subject slightly, could anybody recommend any books on either Chernobyl or the Cold War. Both are terrifying subjects, but are as equally intriguing.

I grew up in the tail end of the cold war. I was old enough to understand how bad the blast effects of a bomb would be, but too young to understand the horrors of radiation. Which is probably just as well, Because it was terrifying enough already!

I am the same as DiogoJ42, as I grew up in the tail end of the cold war. however I knew I was living close to a grade 1 target, So I would know is a blinding white light and that it.

If you are looking for books about the cold war, pop into your local library and see what the librarian suggests.

the worrying thing is the cold war may restart.

Last edited:
Oh yes, Living on the edge of London, only a few miles from Heathrow, less than a mile from RAF Northolt, less than a mile from RAF Uxbridge, and only a few miles from the Northwood NATO HQ... I wouldn't even know about it. By the time I see the flash, I'd be dead. :D

I can't even begin to comprehend how horrific it must have been for those affected by that radiation.

I'm so glad that I wasn't born during the Cold War, I would have been in perpetual fear of the possibility of being subjected to such horrors.

Just to change the subject slightly, could anybody recommend any books on either Chernobyl or the Cold War. Both are terrifying subjects, but are as equally intriguing.

I bought this one after reading the link @Jem8472 posted. Hoping it'll be good, apparently it's only available until today also so you'd better buy it fast!

Oh yes, Living on the edge of London, only a few miles from Heathrow, less than a mile from RAF Northolt, less than a mile from RAF Uxbridge, and only a few miles from the Northwood NATO HQ... I wouldn't even know about it. By the time I see the flash, I'd be dead. :D

Ive grown up Leeds only a few short miles away from the old Vickers tank factory. What gets me is the fall out. if London is hit and the wind blows south, France and Belgium, maybe Germany would be affected. North, well wave bye bye to Britain.

If the wind was blowing the right way, on that day in Chernobyl, god knows how the areas affected would have survived.

Scary stuff indeed. I really need to get me a giger counter.
*tokes on a ciggy*

While we are posting videos, dispite my refusal to set foot in AmeriKKKa, I'd love to visit this place...

... And yes, that is the location they used in Star Trek: First Contact for The Phoenix warp prototype ship. ;)

Last edited:
proof of what I have been saying for years: It takes more people to dispatch a modern roller coaster (4x platform hosts + one op) than it did to launch a multi-magaton death-rocket in the hight of the cold war (2 guys in a bunker). Anyone getting tired of the safety debate with friends, just explain it this way ;)