• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Anything Radioactive Topic

Surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but North Korea claimed to have tested an H bomb a few days ago. I've been keeping an eye on my geiger counter but haven't noticed any significant increase in background levels yet.

Surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but North Korea claimed to have tested an H bomb a few days ago. I've been keeping an eye on my geiger counter but haven't noticed any significant increase in background levels yet.

I'm guessing it's not been mentioned because nobody believes it. You don't go from A-bomb to H-bomb in only four tests, unless they're buying them in.

I can for the first time ever understand why. How can we, the UK, tell them not to have nukes when we have them? The hypocrisy! How would you feel if loads of other countries had weapons pointed at you and then say you can't have said weapons whilst they stockpile them?

We have always told countries not to have something we had. Told Germany no empire, whilst having an empire.

Been selling arms to countries just so they can arm the people we hate.

We have the same problem America has......... We think we are right.

Just got home and cracked out the geiger. If anything, right now I'm getting abnormally low readings. Normal background levels for this area is about 2-4 clicks per minute. It's currently hardly even 1 cpm!

.... Aaaaand just as I typed that there was a sudden burst of very scary rapid clicking and the needle peaked at 7. I'm clearly tempting fate here. Will keep an eye on it and get a better average over time...

You have your own person geiger counter. The closest i get to one is the one the science department at work has. The science tech is reporting normal background levels.

Yup. I have one of these cute little things. It worries me that my house is the most active place I've taken it so far. Maybe that's because of the lump of uranium glass it came with, that is currently less than 2m from my head?

I'd love to be able to take it on a plane and see if you really do get a high dose at altitude... but somehow I doubt I would survive long after security find a black and yellow box with the radiation sign on it in my hand luggage. :(

One thing I would love to get from that site (after which this thread is named) is the paperweight containing fragments of Trinitite. From a historical point of view it would be a great relic to own.... But for some reason I just don't want chunks of genuine radioactive fallout in my house. Can't think why.

ETA: current geiger readings = depressingly normal.

Was offered ticket protection today with these terms among others:

We
will not pay any loss caused directly or indirectly by:

• ionising radiations or contamination by radioactivity from nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste from the combustion of nuclear fuel;
  • the radioactive toxic explosive or other hazardous properties of any explosive nuclear assembly or nuclear component thereof.
We will not pay any loss caused directly or indirectly by damage or destruction directly occasioned by pressure waves caused by aircraft or other aerial devices travelling at sonic or supersonic speeds.

Normal Ticket Protection T+CS I guess....so if Daesh bomb Sellafield and the wind was blowing the wrong way even with protection I wouldn't get a refund

I mentioned this in the shoutbox, but I feel it deserves to be here for prosperity.
Kelpie popped over to Amsterdam to meet up with her cousin for a gig. Unfortunately for her, she was forced to go through the Perv-O-Vision body scanners for both flights. As soon as she mentioned this, I whipped out my geiger counter and pointed it at her....

Normal background levels for my house are 2-4 cpm. I last checked them only the night before and all was fine. Suddenly, the readings had doubled, peaking at 6 cpm, and staying there. If she left the room, the readings instantly dropped back to normal, only to rise again when she returned.

I left the counter on and pointed at her for several hours while she told me what she'd been up to on her trip. Eventually the clicking slowed and the readings have dropped to "high normal". If you extrapolate that backwards - and keep in mind that the nature of radioactive decay is an exponential curve - I dread to think how active she must have been after stepping out of the scanner!

So next time they try to irradiate you while perving over your naked body, refuse! Those things are NOT safe!

UPDATE: Levels seem to have returned to normal now.

Last edited:
I've only had it a few months, and thankfully, neither of us have needed an X ray in that time. But if we ever do, I'll be sure to make some scientific observations. ;)