• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Anything Radioactive Topic

On the 70th aviversary of the bombing of Nagasaki, here's an article listing just how big a cockup it was compared to Hiroshima a few days earlier.
http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/nagasaki-the-last-bomb

I just scanned over this at lunch but will be reading it again in full later. I never realized that Nagasaki wasn't even a potential target until the previous day, although the break in the clouds/smog story sounds a little "Hollywood". Thanks for sharing it.

I mentioned this in the shoutbox, but I feel it deserves to be here for prosperity.
Kelpie popped over to Amsterdam to meet up with her cousin for a gig. Unfortunately for her, she was forced to go through the Perv-O-Vision body scanners for both flights. As soon as she mentioned this, I whipped out my geiger counter and pointed it at her....

Normal background levels for my house are 2-4 cpm. I last checked them only the night before and all was fine. Suddenly, the readings had doubled, peaking at 6 cpm, and staying there. If she left the room, the readings instantly dropped back to normal, only to rise again when she returned.

I left the counter on and pointed at her for several hours while she told me what she'd been up to on her trip. Eventually the clicking slowed and the readings have dropped to "high normal". If you extrapolate that backwards - and keep in mind that the nature of radioactive decay is an exponential curve - I dread to think how active she must have been after stepping out of the scanner!

So next time they try to irradiate you while perving over your naked body, refuse! Those things are NOT safe!

UPDATE: Levels seem to have returned to normal now.

So here's an interesting comparison: a friend just arrived at my house after a 14 hour flight from Laos. He was not body scanned... He is not radioactive. Readings are a steady 2cpm at the moment.

You should scan anyone and everyone that visits your house. Ok you run the risk of becoming the weird bloke of the street.

Last edited:
What does your ''personal collection'' read at? :p

Also I went to Sellafield a couple of years ago, needed the Geiger then :p

Double buuuuut....it is feared Daesh may have their hands on some radioactive material stolen in Iraq.

Permission to cry?

It does say that phone thingy isn't very accurate. Pretty cool idea though.

Sod the Geiger I want the clock. Dad had one for holidays.

Doesn't a phone give off radiation or was that people flapping about a new technology 10 years ago!!!!

Phones only emit radio waves, not ionising radiation. The only way a phone will hurt you is if you "trip and fall on it while naked" and have to explain yourself at A&E.

Was talking about this with @Kelpie last night. All these celebs that are suddenly dropping dead from cancer were all born in the mid to late 50's. Coincidently, that's the same time we started testing multi-megaton thermonuclear devices. Castle Bravo, one of the worst radiological screwups of all time, was in 1954. In fact, scientists agree that carbon dating is useless for anything newer than 1950, due to all the radiation we've contaminated the planet with.

... Could there be a connection?

Maybe, though I doubt Ronnie Corbett and victoria wood would have been affected. Though there is Chernobyl?