• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

Words cannot describe Icon, (well maybe some can) it destroys every other ride in the UK. It's so comfortable, the restraints are so free, so much airtime (floater and ejector) even in areas that you wouldn't expect. Every element delivered to the max, there's so little time to process what's going on, it's relentless. Absolutely stunning ride, hasn't quite beaten Mako to my number 1 spot, but it's god damn close.

It's don't think it is new ride hype, I loved Wicker Man when that first opened but it didn't make me feel like this.

For reference, I rode in row two.

Sorry to ask so many questions when you are clearly still processing your experience, but what makes Mako better for you, out of interest?

Also, is it sad that I actually find the first rider reviews of Icon substantially more interesting than both the Royal Wedding and the FA Cup Final, both of which are gripping the rest of the country today?

@Matt N the only reason I prefer Mako is that it does have some more sustained airtime whereas Icon delivers shorter pops.

Can I just also say that the station audio is so loud! I wasn't expecting it.

Last edited:
@Matt N the only reason I prefer Mako is that it does have some more sustained airtime whereas Icon delieves shorter pops.

Can I just also say that the station audio is so loud! I wasn't expecting it.
Great stuff! Thanks Mako; your review amongst others' reviews makes me even more excited for August!

Also, is it sad that I actually find the first rider reviews of Icon substantially more interesting than both the Royal Wedding and the FA Cup Final, both of which are gripping the rest of the country today?

No, certainly not. Never get the hype for royal family events, its just two people getting married, not sure what the fuss is about. People coming from all over the world to line the streets to catch a glimpse of a wedding of a couple they don't even know. WTF?

On the FA Cup final, the traditional 3pm kick off was better, shame they changed it. I recall visiting Towers on FA Cup final day years ago. Turned out it was a great day to visit and we didn't have to wait long for anything.

It hasn't got much competition in the UK has it? We're not blessed with an abundance of world class coasters are we?

Personally I'm a big fan of B&M and inverts are my fav coaster type by far followed by hypers so I don't think ICON will be close to my number 1 coaster overall and probably not even in the UK.

It comes down to tastes I suppose.

I know I've only ridden 42 coasters, so my opinion will probably be taken with a pinch of salt, but I personally think that Icon will probably be my favourite UK coaster; my present UK top 3 are as follows:
UK #1. The Swarm
UK #2. Nemesis
UK #3. The Smiler

I'm expecting it to rival the Swarm for my number 2 spot in the UK. I just cant see it topping Nemmy.

Charging people extra to ride a new coaster. Still haven't got my head around the idea yet. Its free to ride (minus admission fee) as of next Friday so I'm waiting.

It hasn't got much competition in the UK has it? We're not blessed with an abundance of world class coasters are we?

Personally I'm a big fan of B&M and inverts are my fav coaster type by far followed by hypers so I don't think ICON will be close to my number 1 coaster overall and probably not even in the UK.

It comes down to tastes I suppose.

Actually for the size of the U.K. I think we do have a fair number of world class coasters.