• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

Managed to get on the front row of the 2nd train.

Really good overall experience with the queueline and inside the station itself I was amazed by just how good it all looked, plus the soundtrack banging out as well just built everything up so well.

The ride, I'll need more than one go for a full review but I really enjoyed it. The first launch into a smoke fillled tunnel and the airtime hill was fantastic.

After that the transitions throughout the ride are all really good and the ride itself is well paced throughout, the 2nd launch is done perfectly so the speed increase into the immelman takes you by surprise.

The perfect new addition for the Pleasure Beach, can't wait to ride it again next Friday!

Actually for the size of the U.K. I think we do have a fair number of world class coasters.

"World class"... really?

Good, sure, maybe even great. I don't think there's a single UK coaster I would class as 'world class' though (though some will argue for Nemesis no doubt).

Almost everything we have there is a massively better version of elsewhere.

Actually for the size of the U.K. I think we do have a fair number of world class coasters.

I can only see a strong argument for Nemesis really. Some may argue Smiler is but I really don't think that's anywhere near being able to be called world class.

For a country of our size, which arguably only has 3 parks in a position to be able to deliver world class rides (Towers, Thorpe and Blackpool), one world class ride isn't bad, but by no means a fair number, especially for the scale and investment levels the country see.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the exit is so narrow and the photo shop is arranged in such a way that there were big queues to exit the attraction as shown here:

Another thing worth mentioning is that the exit is so narrow and the photo shop is arranged in such a way that there were big queues to exit the attraction as shown here:

They had a mare with the photos!
Took them 10mins to find ours it was not in sync. Also everyone thought that you were waiting for your cert at the photo collection point where you could have just walked through causing the ques up the narrow exit path and stairs.

Ride was excellent. Smooth plenty of airtime, second to back row. I would need to ride it again to rate it but all good and a great addition.

My only gripes were the launches, a bit too tame for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"World class"... really?

Good, sure, maybe even great. I don't think there's a single UK coaster I would class as 'world class' though (though some will argue for Nemesis no doubt).

Almost everything we have there is a massively better version of elsewhere.

How are you defining world class?

If you mean “coasters you as an individual really like” then I’m afraid the world is somewhat of an exaggeration.

The U.K. has a good mix of coaster styles from a variety of manufacturers, a smattering of unique coasters and a few really well regarded ride experiences (Nemesis, Megaphobia, Oblivion etc).

Considering we have a country smaller than most US states then I think we do fine for ride hardware, we do mediocre for theming and terrible for dark rides. Where there was a lack in the uk coaster lineup was a good airtime machine, hopefully Icon fills that gap.

How are you defining world class?

If you mean “coasters you as an individual really like” then I’m afraid the world is somewhat of an exaggeration.

My issue with describing coasters such as Oblivion as world class is that there are obviously so many much better Dive Machines out there, both in terms of ride experience and overall presentation. How can it possibly be considered 'world class' when it's far from even being the best ride of its type? Ditto The Swarm and Megafobia.

I doubt any non-enthusiasts from Europe and beyond are looking enviously at our coaster line-up in the same way that non-enthusiasts here look at genuine world class ride experiences in the US and at PortAventura.

My issue with describing coasters such as Oblivion as world class is that there are obviously so many much better Dive Machines out there, both in terms of ride experience and overall presentation. How can it possibly be considered 'world class' when it's far from even being the best ride of its type? Ditto The Swarm and Megafobia.

I doubt any non-enthusiasts from Europe and beyond are looking enviously at our coaster line-up in the same way that non-enthusiasts here look at genuine world class ride experiences in the US and at PortAventura.

Something can be world class but not the best of its type, if that was the rule there would only be 9 or 10 world class rides in existence.

Plenty of folk travel to the U.K. from around the world to ride the coasters here. For sure there are better rides out there but that does not mean we don’t have anything world class

Where there was a lack in the uk coaster lineup was a good airtime machine, hopefully Icon fills that gap.
After riding Mako at SeaWorld Orlando in August 2016, I wholeheartedly agree with that. Yes, Megafobia has decent airtime, Wicker Man has a couple of good pops and other coasters in this country have a decent moment or two (Thirteen's first drop in the back row and the Gerstlauers' airtime hills come to mind, to name just a few), but we don't really have a large, airtime-focused steel roller coaster in Britain. Actually, I did once hear someone say that BPB's very own Big One has stronger airtime and is a better ride than Mako, but we don't really have a modern airtime machine. Thankfully, Icon sounds like it has some great pops, and if the rumour about Project 2020 at Thorpe being a B&M hyper is true, then this will definitely change in the coming years!

If this is better than nemesis, given the lack of any theming other than the station, then it must be some coaster.
Theming is overrated, it's more important for some rides than for others.

^Matt, I don't know who told you The Big One had more airtime than Mako, but they were probably having a laugh.

There are coasters in the world with better airtime than Icon, but in terms of the UK it has by far the most.

^Matt, I don't know who told you The Big One had more airtime than Mako, but they were probably having a laugh.
Thing is @MakoMania, I actually have no reason to disbelieve them, as I've never ridden The Big One before, but will be in August! To be honest, my expectations are quite low for The Big One, so I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Anyway, on to Icon. Icon looks to have some great airtime, but whether it beats Mako to my number 1 spot or not come August is yet to be seen!

Thing is @MakoMania, I actually have no reason to disbelieve them, as I've never ridden The Big One before, but will be in August! To be honest, my expectations are quite low for The Big One, so I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Go in with low expectations and you will enjoy it. There is some air time but not a lot.

What it does have is height, speed and great views. And a very good first drop.

It often gets slated by enthusiasts but I really enjoy it, especially in the dark. And there is nothing else like it in the UK.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk