• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

What exactly are chaser lights?
Like what Monster and Hangtime have lights on the track that follow the train. This will go nicely with The Big One and the Blackpool Illuminations.

Interestingly this will be the first none Gerst with chaser lights also it's odd that they've decided to put them on now rather than opening. Also I hope they don't close Icon with the next couple of weeks to do this, I'm supposed to be riding it soon!

Chaser lights don't necessarily have to be inside the track itself, they can be seperate from the ride but still programmed to follow the train nonetheless.

These can't be cheap to install, but hopefully it will make the ride look even more stunning after dark!

Chaser lights don't necessarily have to be inside the track itself, they can be seperate from the ride but still programmed to follow the train nonetheless.
Quite. I only asked to understand what product was being installed. If people hear Hangtime/Monster, they are going to be moaning when Big One lift esque equipment shows up next to the lift... Moaning. Imagine that.

There used to be chaser lights all across BPB. You can still see some signs of them.

A few places I recall them:

Big One Lift
Big One station roof
Big Dipper lift
Inside the monorail tunnels around the back of Valhalla
Maybe Avalanche lift?
Avalanche did for a time. I think PlayStation had something similar on it in the earliest of seasons?

In lighting terms a "chase" is any pre-programed sequence that flashes two or more lamps. Pretty much every fairground ride on the planet has lights that chase. It doesn't necessarily mean they will "follow" the train. It's more likely they will just be generic light strips bolted to the track, like a lot of woodies have.

It doesn't take much to tie in a trigger, even I did it a few years back with our Christmas lights so when people walked past a certain point on the path it triggered some ws2812 LEDs tacked to the wall to 'launch' or chase them up to the door.

Woohoo!!!!!:grimacing::)

For me this is the best news I've heard about PB in the very long time!

Seriously well done Pleasure Beach this is exactly what I have wanted to see PB do for so long!

Pleasure Beach is finally starting to reclaim its position as the best damn amusement park park at night!

Did you ride it in the morning, afternoon, or both out of interest? Only as it runs a lot faster in the afternoon

So does every other roller coaster in the world... I find it hard to really rate a ride which only gets truly good after a few hours of operation...

So does every other roller coaster in the world... I find it hard to really rate a ride which only gets truly good after a few hours of operation...
Yeah that's a fair point, with Icon it seems to make a much bigger difference than with most other rides though, hence me asking what the time of day was.

Icon is 6th in my favourite rides at BPB (counting Mouse of course) :)

There used to be chaser lights all across BPB. You can still see some signs of them.

A few places I recall them:

Big One Lift
Big One station roof
Big Dipper lift
Inside the monorail tunnels around the back of Valhalla
Maybe Avalanche lift?

Chasers were all over the place, but I never saw themy on the Dipper, to my knowledge that only had the twinkle lights that went up the blue and white stripe's along the front of the flame and round towards the first drop.

Playstation had 4 inside the tower, as well as one on each of the camera stands, the National has one on the lift as well as one inside the station tower, the Coaster, Avalanche and Space Invader all had one on the lift (though the Space Invader ran down) as has been said, the Monorail tunnel and Big one lift and station roof also has them

Yeah that's a fair point, with Icon it seems to make a much bigger difference than with most other rides though, hence me asking what the time of day was.

Icon is 6th in my favourite rides at BPB (counting Mouse of course) :)

Not very high overall then?

I have ridden it once - it’s ok. I feel for the ride type and the money involved coupled with the setting (in amongst other rides) it could have offered more

It’s a better ride than Wickerman but the overall experience is way off

I just hope it’s a success financially as we need a park other than Merlin parks to make big investments like this

In what way?

It’s a personal opinion obviously but I feel the queue line on Wickerman is better, the interaction with the ride better. The theme is better. The preshow, smell in the station. Little things I guess but it’s a solid ride and with the extras I feel the overall experience is better.

That said it is personal opinion and I wouldn’t poo poo anyone who preferred icon.

Two very different rides in fairness and comparing them is hard.

Edit- it depends how you read your post but if you meant how is icon better than Wickerman - well I feel it’s more thrilling and offers slightly better airtime moments. Again personal opinion