• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

I agree with this, I have signed up to their promotional emails via their website multiple times yet receive nothing from them. Madness really, they're missing out on promotion!

I've had plenty of stuff from them in the past, but these recent emails people have mention have not come through, junk folder checked too. I've contacted them about it so hopefully it gets sorted. I will now wait for Rob to tell us "Maybe someone's trying to tell you something!"

I've had plenty of stuff from them in the past, but these recent emails people have mention have not come through, junk folder checked too. I've contacted them about it so hopefully it gets sorted. I will now wait for Rob to tell us "Maybe someone's trying to tell you something!"
I've emailed them twice in the last 3 months to ask perfectly reasonable questions and they have failed to respond on both occasions.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Their email communication leaves a lot to be desired really, it's just discourteous when you spend a lot on season passes and they don't even have the decency to send a confirmation through.

I think it's strange how they haven't sent out the Season Pass vouchers like in previous years, it'll cause delays in getting season passes early season as everyone will have to fill out the forms there and then.

Their email communication leaves a lot to be desired really, it's just discourteous when you spend a lot on season passes and they don't even have the decency to send a confirmation through.

I think it's strange how they haven't sent out the Season Pass vouchers like in previous years, it'll cause delays in getting season passes early season as everyone will have to fill out the forms there and then.

I know you can get the application form at least here if it helps; https://www.blackpoolpleasurebeach.com/app/uploads/2017/12/PlatinumPass_AppForm_2018.pdf

Don't listen to Andy Rumney, he's an idiot. He was talking about Lost Gravity which is really smooth and is most certainly not like riding a shopping trolley.

Helix is my number 1 and every so often it gets the "Mack Rattle" but it's purely superficial and does not affect the smoothness.

I was really surprised by Andy's comments about Lost Gravity, it's one of the smoothest coasters I've done, his comments baffled me. I don't think he liked Walibi Holland too much though, so he probably wanted to slate everything there to make his point.

Anyway, moving on, given that I would class as a diehard BPB fan, I am very excited about Icon! I made the most of Helix being walk on, on 3 trains back in August by re-riding it for 2 hours and really hope Icon is as good, if not better, than Helix.

I was really surprised by Andy's comments about Lost Gravity, it's one of the smoothest coasters I've done, his comments baffled me. I don't think he liked Walibi Holland too much though, so he probably wanted to slate everything there to make his point.

*Bites Tongue*

I loved Lost Gravity! There was a lot I liked about Walibi Holland, felt like a polished up Thorpe Park with a bit of character. Also has the madhouse with my "Best at Parking" award.

I think Icon will be good, I don't know if it will be in my top coasters as to make that list it needs to be a themed experience as well as a great coaster and I don't think there will be much in the way of theming on Icon (however would love to be surprised) but I think it will be a fantastic ride! Same reason why Goliath at Walibi Holland isn't in my top coasters as there is next to no theming but its a phenomenal ride.

Anyway, moving on, given that I would class as a diehard BPB fan, I am very excited about Icon! I made the most of Helix being walk on, on 3 trains back in August by re-riding it for 2 hours and really hope Icon is as good, if not better, than Helix.
He said the same thing about Cobra's Curse, though. And he seemed to like BGT.

Yeah he has bizarre opinins for sure. Says that BGT is one of the best parks on earth, I personally beg to differ (good coasters yes, but what else?)

He also claims that the Scenic at Dreamland is the best coaster in the country....

Anyway, in Icon-related news, Shawn Sanbrooke filmed a construction update from Blackpool on Wednesday:

Looking good!

*Bites Tongue*

I loved Lost Gravity! There was a lot I liked about Walibi Holland, felt like a polished up Thorpe Park with a bit of character. Also has the madhouse with my "Best at Parking" award.

I think Icon will be good, I don't know if it will be in my top coasters as to make that list it needs to be a themed experience as well as a great coaster and I don't think there will be much in the way of theming on Icon (however would love to be surprised) but I think it will be a fantastic ride! Same reason why Goliath at Walibi Holland isn't in my top coasters as there is next to no theming but its a phenomenal ride.

I think we have very similar opinions on Walibi Holland judging from your post, I really like that park and will be doing my best to get back again in 2018, will be disappointed if I don't manage that but 2018 is already looking like an unbelievably busy year on a personal level.

I am not going to link to every Icon update filmed for PBE, but I'd like to think this was a better effort than TPW's, we saw track being transported as well as having a great view into the Pleasure Beach from our hotel room;

I am honestly not worried about Icon's station, there is so much time left for it to be themed yet and nobody can really expect BPB to go all out with theming a coaster, it's just not their style.

The one Icon update video from TPW I've seen mostly consisted of work being done on various masts/antenna on PMBO's lift and ADIPS inspections of Steeplechase by my colleagues, with rather little relating to Icon itself.

There's been a lot of talk of expectations recently, since I first saw the layout I've been slightly hesitant to jump on the hype bandwagon, largely as it's a ride I feel will depend enormously on taking the elements at speed. If it runs slowly, which is possible, my concern is that it could be rather dull for the most part. I'm reserving judgement until we've seen it running.

You share my sentiments John. Ever since this was announced there's been a whirlwind of hype surrounding it.

I've said it before, this could be a 9/10 coaster or a 6/10. It could go either way, people just need to calm down with the hype. Especially those that ride it early on.

SW8 on the other hand I think will be a solid 7/10. I like GCI's and I'm yet to ride a bad one. Also, there doesn't seem to be much hype, with most people saying it looks shit XD

Either way I'm dead excited for 2018 with season passes for both Towers and BPB!

Would not surprise me if Colossos goes! Merlin do tend to give with one hand and take away with the other, so to speak... unfortunately it does like we will be left with a far inferior product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I've said many times; never judge before you ride, peeps! I can imagine 1993 was exactly the same, with many enthusiasts expecting Big One to be better due to it looking better on paper! And how'd that turn out?
P.S. On a side note, I did not intend to start a channel battle if you like between whether TPW or PBE is better when I posted the Icon update.

Last edited:
As I've said many times; never judge before you ride, peeps! I can imagine 1993 was exactly the same, with many enthusiasts expecting Big One to be better due to it looking better on paper! And how'd that turn out?
P.S. On a side note, I did not intend to start a channel battle if you like between whether TPW or PBE is better when I posted the Icon update.

In what universe does Big One look better than Nemesis on paper? :p

Back in the 90s and early 2000s, the “bigger and faster is better” mentality was cancerous.

For the record, Magnum XL-200 is in a different league to its Blackpool cousin.

Magnum was pretty much the first time I realised that Arrow might have had some idea of what they were doing. Sadly that never made it to their European coasters.