• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

If that's the layout then that looks bloody awesome! It looks like so much track considering the space so it's really impressive.

Very excited about this! Happy for Blackpool, this looks like it could be a world class coaster and I hope they get the attendances they deserve from this! I wonder what colour scheme they will go with? Red, Blue and White maybe?

From what I can tell, no rides would be removed at all from these plans (the seem legitimate and match up with on park markings/pegs)which is pretty amazing considering this is longer than the smiler (just over 4000 ft) so that would make it I believe the 3rd longest UK coaster!

From what I can tell, no rides would be removed at all from these plans (the seem legitimate and match up with on park markings/pegs)which is pretty amazing considering this is longer than the smiler (just over 4000 ft) so that would make it I believe the 3rd longest UK coaster!

I am led to believe the Go-Karts will be removed as part of this project.

Very impressive & Credible design work by Temleh, it gives me high hopes that this project is as good as Nick Thompson made out.

Last edited:
Temleh posted this plan over on CF:
fP6YEm3.jpg

Given that the support numbers on there match up with the blue marks spotted near the sundial (138A, 9, and 10), I think this is probably fairly accurate.

If it IS accurate, this will blow SW8 out of the water.
It does look good... let's hope the scale of this is what it appears.

AT need to get their finger out... although coasters can be amazing without enormous size and length the draft that we have seen of SW8 so far does seem disappointingly small. (Though it is possible that plans have progressed from the draft that we have seen).

Alton will not want to see their 2018 investment thrashed by PBB.

That said on paper, PMBO thrashes Nemesis in every conceivable way. If these forums existed at the planning stage in 1994, we would be saying PMBO beats Nemesis for size, length, speed, height, just about every tangible attribute.

BUT Nemesis is by far far the better coaster, and for my money one of the best, if not the best coaster in the world 25 years later, whilst PMBO is and always was an average creation.

Of course Nemesis had the advantage of genius...

I'm not writing off SW8 against PBB Project 2018 just yet, but AT will need to do what they did in 1994... take every obstacle stacked against them and turn it to an advantage.

Now if JW was involved and had full creative contol like in 1994...?

Last edited:
Temleh posted this plan over on CF:
It does look good... let's hope the scale of this is what it appears.

AT need to get there finger out... although coasters can be amazing without enormous size and length the draft that we have seen of SW8 so far does seem disappointingly small.

Altona will not want to see their 2018 investment thrashed by PBB.

That said on paper, PMBO thrashes Nemesis in every conceivable way. If these forums existed at the planning stage in 1994, we would be saying PMBO beats Nemesis for size, length, speed, height, just about every tangible attribute.

BUT Nemesis is by far far the better coaster, and for my money one of the best, if not the best coaster in the world 25 years later, whilst PMBO is and always was an average creation.

Of course Nemesis had the advantage of genius...

1994 was a case of tried and tested manufacturer (arrow) vs a new and upcoming concept and company (b&m) Alton took a risk and it paid off they never knew nemesis would be as great as it is!

These days people rate shambhala over nemesis so good old airtime still works, and pepsi max was all about the sheer scale and to get the punters in!

This time around is is like role reversal public will see project 18 as a new concept never seen, and a woodie as old fashioned. Just hope BPB improves operations by then.

Still disagree about the JW thing.
He was great, but is entitled to his retirement like anyone else. Anyone new who replaces him deserves a fair crack of the whip and not overshadowed by their predecessor so good luck to them.

It's always possible that the new team or individual could come up with something even better than JW.

I Hope they do, and I think JW himself would be pleased if they did.

Credit where it's due.. but I agree, we need to move on.

Completely agree. He did an amazing job with Nemesis and Oblivion. The rest.... Meh.

It's like a film director... For example - Tobe Hooper:

Poltergeist and Texas chainsaw massacre. I think he got lucky. The rest of his movies sucked.

Completely agree. He did an amazing job with Nemesis and Oblivion. The rest.... Meh.

It's like a film director... For example - Tobe Hooper:

Poltergeist and Texas chainsaw massacre. I think he got lucky. The rest of his movies sucked.

Don't forget Ghandi.

He made one great movie.. then you never heard from him again :)

I think it should be John's decision if he wants to contribute to SW8. He did say he wanted to work on a Woodie at Towers and it'd be the only thing to get him out of retirement.

However I disagree strongly that Nemesis and Oblivion were his only two achievements. He also contributed a lot to the Haunted House, Vampire, The 5th Dimensions, Dragon Falls and obviously turning Chessie into a theme park.

John Wardley is one of the most important and influential figures the modern amusement park industry has had, not to mention his work in film and theatre. But he's more than earned his retirement and it's time for others to step up and take his place. The next Wardley could be out there right now. If Blackpool are once again going to be competition for Alton then that should encourage Merlin to find him. Here's to the future of both parks.

Very exciting times for Mandy Land. What strikes me as odd though is the fact it traverses over/through PMBO and encroaches on the Steeple Chase site. There is a lot of space behind Infusion which I thought might have been used. Either way this is brilliant news for PBB. :D

Last edited:
It's sounding like that layout posted could well be the real deal, if so that is very exciting indeed! It will be the most anticipated UK coaster for a long while and draw the attention of people from all over the world just like Helix did. I'm also pretty confident that it will be far better than SW8 from what we have seen of both so far.

Go Mandy!

:)

If it's anything like Blue fire I will be happy! I'm yet to ride Helix but people rave on about that. Even the Mack at Nigoland was really good and that's just a small coaster.

I wonder if it will get any kind of theme applied, most rides are pleasure beach don't really have any themes.

Exciting times ahead.

PB rides don't need a theme. It would be a waste of their limited funds, and besides, there's no space for theming! :p It's not a "theme" park, and they shouldn't try to be one.