• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

we already know which park will win anyway!

Do we? I don't. I think there's a chance that Blackpool may steal a march on Alton with this 2018 addition. Alton aren't exactly coming from a position of strength at the moment and on the surface at least, the Mack appears more interesting and more marketable than SW8. However, this might all change as more information comes to light.

We tend to think that Nemesis 'won' out of the 1994 additions because it's the best coaster but in terms of visitor numbers and public awareness, PMBO was every bit as successful as Nemesis if not more so. It's not a given that Alton will do best out of 2018.

Do we? I don't. I think there's a chance that Blackpool may steal a march on Alton with this 2018 addition. Alton aren't exactly coming from a position of strength at the moment and on the surface at least, the Mack appears more interesting and more marketable than SW8. However, this might all change as more information comes to light.

We tend to think that Nemesis 'won' out of the 1994 additions because it's the best coaster but in terms of visitor numbers and public awareness, PMBO was every bit as successful as Nemesis if not more so. It's not a given that Alton will do best out of 2018.
when i said "we already know which park will win anyway", i was referring to Blackpool PB!

Blackpools may well end being the better coaster, but Alton's will win the gate numbers battle.
Maybe not, as the fact that Blackpool PB's coaster will be a UK first, and the fact that it's their first coaster for almost 10 years (Infusion will be 10 next year), will probably draw people to the park like a magnet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, BPB's coaster will be their first completely new coaster for 24 years, which will be another draw for people to go to the park!

Also, BPB's coaster will be their first completely new coaster for 24 years, which will be another draw for people to go to the park!

True enough from a coaster enthusiast perspective, but not everyone knew that Infusion was relocated and classed it as a new coaster for Blackpool. In fairness, BPB have hardly stood still since 2011, they've continued to make improvements to their park where needed.

BPB will probably win, unsure what DMP are doing but it is likely AT will be second. Tbh they should market it as the first good coaster in the North since 1991 and be done with it

Oh aye, I'm happy but as with anything from cars to coasters to games, there is an element of competition. Why not? It'll help close season pass a little tiny bit faster

Club Pleasure Beach Experience have posted some pictures from today's official start of construction, including a nice shot over the station towards the two launches!

Construction%202018%20Nick%20Thompson%20and%20Contractors_zpsldqzixtb.jpg

Construction%202018%20site1_zpsx7gekkah.jpg

Construction%202018%20site_zpsv5vdo14y.jpg

Construction%202018%20Nick%20Thompson%20and%20F1%20Car_zpsdpezmoa8.jpg

Looking forwards to 2018 with this one! I think it will go down very well as Blackpool haven't had a shiny new world class coaster in a while! Attracting people to the park shouldn't be too hard if the pound continues to get weaker during the Brexit period.

Great to see things progressing well, I really do hope that this marks the start of a new and exciting era for BPB. If they continue to improve the quality of rides in the park, enhance the overall park environment further and ensure staff are better from a customer service point of view then overall the place could be a lot better than it is now.

:)