• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Broken rides!

themeparkfan

TS Member
Why so many broken rides??? Last week at Thorpe park; NO SAW, NO STEALTH AND STILL NO DBGT. At Chessington NO REMESIS REVENGE. Then yesterday at A.T NO TH13TEEN AND RITA!!! I hope its not down to reduces maintenance budgets????

I don't sign up to a lot of the bizarre Merlin attitude that's all the rage, as you know - but ride availability is a fair gripe, especially when it is as prevalent as it is in your example.

What makes this worse at Alton is that the product has already been eroded by the planned closures of more than a couple of large rides, so when additional rides are closed, that really doesn't work well for them or the guests. I do wonder about Thirteen and Rita being closed, I haven't asked, but it was perhaps something related to power in the area, unavailability of access, but of course it could be that they were both struck down by the Intamin curse.

If you've worked in a park, or in the industry, or even if you have just visited a ton of parks - you'll know there are very few operators who don't open rides purely to save money or because they take a CBA attitude to things. It's not good for business, it gives your product a bad name, etc etc. There are of course lots of reasons why rides are closed - mechanical, electrical, infrastructure, staffing, inspection etc.

Rita was closed all day (or at least to 3pm),
13 was on and off in the morning,
but closed at lunchtime.
Dark Forest was a bit spooky pm !
Not good with all the other closures as well.

Today...
Galactica was obviously having headset issues. It broke down while we were in the Station for about 5 minutes before sending an empty train. (On one station!)
Th13teen broke down as we were in the Station, it was down for a while, as went on Rita about 20 minutes later and the photo point had been closed!
Skyride was down until at least 2.

Rita was closed all day (or at least to 3pm),
13 was on and off in the morning,
but closed at lunchtime.
Dark Forest was a bit spooky pm !
Not good with all the other closures as well.
I was on park Monday when both were down for the majority of the day. Dark Forest was indeed a strange place with no coasters running. Just goes to show how they need to put a flat in this area.

I wonder if Ritas down time has anything to do with the rollback on Stealth this weekend?

We visited a couple of weeks ago and pretty much everything was broken at least once. As soon as we got in Ride Times was down and showing everything as closed, which it did for most of the day. We still managed to get on everything a few times, but Oblivion was closed for most of the morning. Th13teen was shut when we went up so we went on Rita. Rita broke down whilst we were on it (the OTSRs wouldn't release so we were stuck on it for about 15 mins...when we got out they closed it down for a wee while). Smiler was down very briefly, the cable cars also stopped when we were on them and we were dangling in mid air for about 5 mins and then Th13teen closed when we were in the queue and they did about 8 test runs with empty trains while we were there. It just seemed to be a day filled with gremlins! Didn't spoil our day overheard a few folk either moaning about it in passing or complaining to staff about it.

he cable cars also stopped when we were on them and we were dangling in mid air for about 5 mins
Is it just me, or has Skyride been stopping a lot more often later. Was stuck for at least ten minutes over dark forest the other day, and even when it got going again it kept stopping constantly.

I would assume the skyride has to stop to let disabled people on?
Sometimes it stops to let wheelchairs on and off (as does duel I believe), but I was on there for more than ten minutes stopped, with constant stop/starts all happening all day. It's been like this on all of my visits. Noticed there have been quite a few e-stops happening on the sky ride (all the rides, actually) lately due to people standing up. Off topic, but does anyone else get extremely disorientated when you have an e-stop on marauders? On my ride the other day a kid tried to get out when the ride was still moving and the op did an emergency stop.

The sky ride has been like that for as long as I can remember. I remember 12 year old me being stuck on the skyride for 20 minutes! :p

It is an old thing although I've never known it to run smoothly all the time.

I pray that the Skyride never stops when I'm on it and holding on for dear life. If I got stuck on it bouncing around for 20 minutes, I think I would have a heart attack through pure terror.

I've heard that Saw closes when there are high wind forecasts. I don't know if it's because it's a Gerstlauer and Merlin's being extra cautious.

It shut along with smiler last June after the smiler, since it uses multiple trains on the track at once, so it wouldn't suprise me if similar procedures were put in place on both coasters. Has saw ever stalled though?