• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Usual large eggs, free range from aldi 1.80 per dozen, or 15p each.
Rip off coronavirus Tesco...
Free range eggs, only things on the shelves, 2.10 for six, 35p each.
Two different types.
Over double the usual cost.
If you dont want to spend the money, go elsewhere, I was told directly.
So I did.
Welcome to the new era of shopping rip offs.

Gave up trying to find eggs in the supermarket

Local farm shop £1:80 per half dozen but
Warm and fresh straight out the chickens bum :D

1.55 for 12 fresh, well dated free range eggs at aldi, god bless em.
M&M eggs were even cheaper!
Make sure you wash farm eggs, easiest way to meet Sam and Ella.

3 times more people have died so far from flu than corona
Why are we not locking everyone up to prevent this o_O
dZGqZn7_d.jpg

3 times more people have died so far from flu than corona
Why are we not locking everyone up to prevent this o_O
dZGqZn7_d.jpg

Because those who are vulnerable can get a vaccine to most seasonal flu (I had mine last October due to being asthmatic) and people who get sick from the flu are less likely to go to ICU and need a ventilator. There is currently no vaccine to Covid-19 and more people need ventilators for treatment.

Thinking long term what changes as a result of social distancing should remain after things settle?

As an autistic obviously I wish hand shaking as a tradition to die, makes meetings quite hard especially as I tend to be on edge during them anyway (the whole major companies thing).

I'm also hoping working from home remains prevalent, even if that's not officially an option for me so work have fax as a contingency it would surely help keep transport clearer making that raiser.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Because those who are vulnerable can get a vaccine to most seasonal flu (I had mine last October due to being asthmatic) and people who get sick from the flu are less likely to go to ICU and need a ventilator. There is currently no vaccine to Covid-19 and more people need ventilators for treatment.
Don’t look like the vaccine works , within 33000 dead

It is not about the total of deaths, but the surge of covid-19 all overwhelming the NHS all in one go. The measures in place were to spread out the covid-19 cases over time as oppose to having a sudden peak. By flattening the peak, the NHS are able to save lives, many more would have died if the cases peaked at a higher level.

It is not about the total of deaths, but the surge of covid-19 all overwhelming the NHS all in one go. The measures in place were to spread out the covid-19 cases over time as oppose to having a sudden peak. By flattening the peak, the NHS are able to save lives, many more would have died if the cases peaked at a higher level.

Yes this is very important. Those flu deaths would be spread out over the whole of winter, the Covid deaths have all been within 3-4 weeks and therefore any more (had we not had lockdown) would have overwhelmed the NHS.

Don’t look like the vaccine works , within 33000 dead

Well not everyone gets the vaccine as the NHS can't afford that, and even among those who are eligible there will be many many people who don't get round to it, or choose not to. Human beings aren't perfect and we will get sick.

The problem with SARS-CoV-2 is it's more deadly and also more contagious than seasonal flu. It has the potential to overwhelm healthcare systems if you don't slow down the rate of new infections.

Allow me to share another infographic from Information Is Beautiful

COVID_19_CoronaVirus_Infographic.png

You can see seasonal flu on the bottom left, and the estimated window where this new strain is likely to sit. It's potentially 3x more contagious and 30x more deadly than seasonal flu.

Last edited:
It seems mad that Cheltenham went ahead along with allowing 3,000 fans from Madrid to come over to Liverpool for a football match. But who do we blame; the government, those experts advising the government who at the time were adamant that there was little risk at these events of the even organisers themselves!?

It seems clear now that we did react too late (as some in this thread were saying at the time so kudos) however government ministers are not scientific and medical experts; you have to question some of the expert advice given at the time. Equally this has been such a fast moving event.
At the time I was listening the festival coverage on TalkSport and every single day the death toll was rising. It was shocking they allowed it to continue and none of the presenters expected to be there on the Thursday, let alone Friday.

I'd be astonished if the science/medical experts did not urge the government decision makers to call it off.

Good to hear that the vaccines in Oxford University are moving to peoples trials this week and that the Government are looking to back the project heavily. Hope this doesn't disappear into the ether like every other announced vaccine trial.

Had an email that the Berlin Marathon has been cancelled as all events over 5,000 people are banned until October 24th. Oktoberfest has been cancelled for similar reasons in Bavaria. Despite the low death rate in Germany they realise they are in this for the long term and are not resting on their laurels.

Anyone convincing themselves that Theme Parks will be open in July/August might be in for a long summer :(