• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
...No chance of theme parks opening at all until next season.
If that is the case then they won't be reopening at all. With a few exceptions (mainly company's with other revenue streams) a year of making no money would be a death sentence.
I predict they will open by the summer. Ideally they shouldn't open until a vaccine is found or we achieve heard immunity. But realisticly they'll be a push to open them sooner to prevent collapse.

I think the world is going to be a very different place for the next 12 months at least. Social distancing will be the norm and may become difficult to change out of once normal life is resumed.

Two news stories caught my eye today...

Missouri becomes the first state to sue China

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...china-for-campaign-of-deceit-masking-outbreak

Covid now mutated in to over 30 different strains with the more deadly one in Europe possibly hampering hopes of a vaccine

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...n-30-strains-say-scientists-in-china-11976380

Personally, going forward, I'm pinning more hopes on an effective treatment rather than a vaccine.

I just saw on Twitter Chester zoo asking for donations, this just like many other places really shows how hard it is for most attractions right now. They said it cost them £500k a month to run the zoo and 97% of the income is from visitor entry’s. It does make you wonder how other places are adapting to the situation.

I just saw on Twitter Chester zoo asking for donations, this just like many other places really shows how hard it is for most attractions right now. They said it cost them £500k a month to run the zoo and 97% of the income is from visitor entry’s. It does make you wonder how other places are adapting to the situation.

A lot of places will be adapting to the situation by going into administration. Especially when the government stop paying the wages for their staff.

Chester zoo is a toughie as they are a "conservation charity" and have ongoing costs as the animals are cared for 24/7. However as a charity they will be eligible to some significant grants and loans from the government. So I'd put the tiny violin back in its case for now.

Other zoo's in worse positions have threatened to feed their animals to other animals in the zoo if the food dries up.

They are live streaming virtual visits and have a JustGiving page asking for donations. What's interesting in their appeal is they didn't actually say they needed the income but said they started the fundraiser off the back of people asking how they could donate.

Similarly to how they got criticised after the setting up an appeal for donations after the fire. That was also setup after a people asked how they could donate.

Although it doesn't sound like it, I love Chester Zoo but I'll admit I'm often cynical of them playing the charity card when it suits and then ramping up extra upcharges like Nutellagate.

The majority of people in the uk don’t see the economic impact that’s fast approaching by staying home

They all sat at home getting paid, doing what they are told like good little lemmings

MSM scaring them shitless to stay home. They are more than happy and want to stay home for as long as it takes. For the rest of the year.

Dare question The lockdown :rolleyes: prepare for the stoning

We're in the honeymoon period at the moment economically. Wait until we're another few months down the line and the companies who have survived start announcing results of 30-40% down on earnings and start cutting their budgets accordingly. That's staff, advertising budgets, maintenance etc etc. You name it, it'll get cut if there's a squeak of a chance of it being plausible. Then all of the stealth taxes will also start creeping in to start paying the government back for all of the free money it's dishing out at the moment. Our kids and their kids will also have the privilege of forking out for it too. Looking on the bright side, nice and sunny outside isn't it?

I was being placed on temporary leave at work BEFORE the furlough and lockdown were announced.

Any sudden change of lockdown would very much unlikely change my job situation as it would be dependent on the sites in question producing a suitable level of projects that my company would require my presence to manage. Given that the main one I am involved with was already cutting back on works because they couldn't organise a budget I doubt that'll change much.

I was doing absolutely bugger all the week before lockdown was even announced, so not all of us had much choice in the matter.

Until there's a suitable plan in place from the government (who after all are those MEANT to be leading us), then a grin and bear it situation will continue. And given the track record of the government that'll be a very, very long time. Because their decision making process has been awful.

But sure, it's those at home who are the problem. Why don't I just sod the figures and go out to potentially come home and infect my mrs who due to health issues is classed as a vulnerable person? Unsurprisingly I don't want to risk doing that.

I'd wager a vast majority of people who even working from home don't want to do it much longer.

Mean economically we were gonna be buggered anyway due to other political issues (which also lead to us not getting involved in a joint EU PPE procurement? Like we're run by children here), so why don't we really put the country at the bottom rung?

Italy got sod all support from its European brothers with the virus.
It was glaringly obvious from the start that the elderly sick would be hit the hardest.
That has now sadly happened, here as well, and the first, biggest wave has probably broken.
Still think most stuff will reopen, with rules and limits, over the summer.
If not, many service businesses will go to the wall, and the economic costs will become greater than the community health costs.
There is still a likelyhood that we will have to change our lifestyles for good over this.
Really glad I did all four opening weekends of the season.

which also lead to us not getting involved in a joint EU PPE procurement
but we are not part of the EU
the EU procurement has delivered zero products

gov say at no time has there been a shortage of ventilators, ICU beds and anyone requiring a hospital bed and treatment has had it
Hospital admissions are dropping

we are maybe past the peak now, so why do we need more ventilators

Looking on the bright side, nice and sunny outside isn't it?

it is that, given myself the day off to sit in the garden :rolleyes::cool:

the EU procurement has delivered zero products

gov say at no time has there been a shortage of ventilators, ICU beds and anyone requiring a hospital bed and treatment has had it
Hospital admissions are dropping

we are maybe past the peak now, so why do we need more ventilators

Guess you missed the part where hospitals are running low on other PPE items. It's not just about ventilators, and we need to ensure the safety of those on the front line after all. Unless the weekly clapping helps them more than masks and gloves.

Getting involved in such a scheme would've showed a willingness to work with the major trading bloc even after our departure. That's not a good thing? Just because we're not a member anymore doesn't mean we should ignore them. But I guess to some it would be seen as a "weakness" that we would need to "rely" on the EU.

Companies mentioning their offers of help been ignored by government officials. But surely we should be using as many manufacturers as possible to ensure we're overstocked rather than at the right number or below.

You trust the government on their figures but then go onto say we're good little lemmings to stay at home at their request?

The majority of people in the uk don’t see the economic impact that’s fast approaching by staying home

They all sat at home getting paid, doing what they are told like good little lemmings

Shock that I am agreeing with you this time, but there are news reports that there are fewer deaths than predicted as people have stayed at home better than expected (despite all the scare stories about parks at weekends, I think the weekday lockdown is more effective than expected). I think that now we have flattened the curve, there is concern than in 3 weeks when restrictions are eased people won't want to go out. I expect many people will wait for the full lift when they can go to the pub.
Also how many people will realise they have managed without clothes and other non-essentials and just not go shopping.

We effectivly are until the end of 2020, if our government wanted to make use of the procurement scheme they could have, but it seems Brexit was more important than lives.