• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
That is true, and the science for Britain may well have been very different to the science for Sweden. I'm sure the government thought this through, and gave us the best possible strategy they could.
They didn't, even this lockdown isn't a rigidly enforced as it legally can be.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

They didn't, even this lockdown isn't a rigidly enforced as it legally can be.

I think the reason that they went with a less rigid lockdown was to protect British people's wellbeing, as Boris Johnson & Matt Hancock have both emphasised the importance of exercise for wellbeing.

I think the reason that they went with a less rigid lockdown was to protect British people's wellbeing, as Boris Johnson & Matt Hancock have both emphasised the importance of exercise for wellbeing.
It's not the lockdown rules that I think are the issue, they seem a reasonable compromise, it's the fact that government have seemingly put zero effort in ensuring they are abided by.
(By lockdown rules I mean the legislation not the guidance)

Mind you seeing as what I'm like with police I probably shouldn't be advocating for patrols but meh, just seeing police walking around would push some people towards following the rules even if they aren't doing stops.

It's not the lockdown rules that I think are the issue, they seem a reasonable compromise, it's the fact that government have seemingly put zero effort in ensuring they are abided by.
(By lockdown rules I mean the legislation not the guidance)

Mind you seeing as what I'm like with police I probably shouldn't be advocating for patrols but meh, just seeing police walking around would push some people towards following the rules even if they aren't doing stops.

Given that it's been said though that the lockdown is being abided by to a far greater degree than anticipated, why put Police patrols at any more risk than is necessary?

Given that it's been said though that the lockdown is being abided by to a far greater degree than anticipated, why put Police patrols at any more risk than is necessary?
On a regional basis there are some locations with far less compliance then ideal

Who’s signing up to getting tested on Friday?
If you don’t feel sick what’s the point in testing
Think I will only go if I start feeling sick

Edit. Just realised If im sick I can’t leave the house so can’t get tested.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am wonder why they said essential workers and not key workers.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

I am wonder why they said essential workers and not key workers.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

I think there is currently several categories of important workers but not sure which term applies to each group.

There are NHS and emergency workers (doctors, nurses, firemen, policemen etc).
Essential council workers (binmen etc) and public transport workers (train/tube drivers, bus drivers etc)
Food retail (including takeaways and supermarkets)
Repair people (plumbers, electricians etc)

I think the first to get tested outside NHS workers should be other emergency services and then food retail as they generally have most contact with people.

I think the first to get tested outside NHS workers should be other emergency services and then food retail as they generally have most contact with people.

Police and their families (within the same household) have had access to tests for about a couple of weeks now, I presume that was the same for all emergency services. I understand our local testing centers (south east) are opperating at well below capacity, so widening it to other key workers shouldn't be a problem.

This blog post on Diamon Geezer about possible cancelled projects makes for depressing reading.

https://diamondgeezer.blogspot.com/2020/04/interrupting-future.html
An interesting read. I agree that a lot of these projects could be hit hard but I disagree with some of the reasoning. Train capacity is down now but in a few years time it'll be rising as always. I've never known a London transport projects to not hit capacity shortly after opening. The city grows so quickly the demand outpaces the speed of the project. Corona has just bought us a few years (if even that) of reduced travel.

I can see Heathrows 3rd runway being cancelled but as soon as the airport hits capacity again a new 3rd runway plan is bound to reappear.

Let's not forget that Boris planned to overcome Brexit by starting several big projects (to kick start economic growth). He'll no doubt want to do the same with this to get people back into work.

An interesting read. I agree that a lot of these projects could be hit hard but I disagree with some of the reasoning. Train capacity is down now but in a few years time it'll be rising as always. I've never known a London transport projects to not hit capacity shortly after opening. The city grows so quickly the demand outpaces the speed of the project. Corona has just bought us a few years (if even that) of reduced travel.

I can see Heathrows 3rd runway being cancelled but as soon as the airport hits capacity again a new 3rd runway plan is bound to reappear.

Let's not forget that Boris planned to overcome Brexit by starting several big projects (to kick start economic growth). He'll no doubt want to do the same with this to get people back into work.

I think that air travel will be depressed for a few years but the environmental reasons will continue so the third runway likely will be cancelled.

Hopefully HS2 will go ahead as this will bring some economic benefits, will help free up capacity on existing services opening up new places people can commute from etc. Also HS2 should help cut down on the need for internal flights inside the UK, or open up the options for people to fly from Birmingham instead of London by offering better connections. Also giving jobs to a whole load of people to build it would be a good thing.

London is the tricky one, people won't want to be close to other people on trains and platforms for a while so there will be lower demand. Crossrail is almost complete so will get finished, but I expect there will be significant delay to Crossrail 2, especially as TfL is basically bust.

HS2 is too far gone to be stopped, since that's going ahead then Old Oak Common will be fine.

Northern Line Extension will continue to be built
Crossrail to Kent requires Crossrail to be open which is at least 5-10 years away.

South Kensington was a bit of a building site last year, expect that to go ahead
Underground wifi/4G will most likely continue as planned, relatively low cost...

HS2 is too far gone to be stopped, since that's going ahead then Old Oak Common will be fine.

Northern Line Extension will continue to be built
Crossrail to Kent requires Crossrail to be open which is at least 5-10 years away.

South Kensington was a bit of a building site last year, expect that to go ahead
Underground wifi/4G will most likely continue as planned, relatively low cost...
The underground WiFi network wasn't originally meant for passenger use but as part of the successor to AIRWAVE which obviously will still need to go ahead, I wonder however if they will continue to turn on the WiFi portions of the network or if they intend to leave it for Emergency services only to aid in distancing.

I saw some models today of the next 12 months and the various peaks this virus is going to produce. The next being in August and the next at Christmas time. That's even with lockdown and social distancing measures.

Normal life won't be anytime this year folks