• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/f...onavirus-lockdown-risk-uk-news-050044914.html

We aren't going to be going back to anything like the old normal for a long, long, long time. Less jobs, less consumer spending, social distancing to continue to effect many businesses and our way of life into 2021 (most probably). This is probably best case scenario for the time being and it's pretty dire. Imagine if there's another strain or it blows up again big time in countries that thought it had been almost eradicated? What if it takes years to perfect a vaccine? What happens if there's some other global catastrophe whilst we're trying to deal with this. Not good guys, not good at all.

If they leave lockdown in place for long enough and get on top of testing, then we might not have a second wave. The government is trying its very hardest not to let a second wave happen, and that's what every single government across the world is trying to do at this point in time. If things are done gradually and at the right time, then I don't think we will necessarily get a second wave. The government keeps emphasising the importance of not letting a second wave happen.

There's always hope, regardless of what's happening! If there's one thing I can guarantee about this crisis, it's that it will end eventually. The world will eventually return to closely resembling how it was before, even if a few minor things do change permanently. I can't say when it will end and I can't say how it will end, but it will end.

As the big signs in cities that I've noticed many news outlets keep showing in lockdown-related articles say, "please believe these days will pass".

My current prediction is that life will return to pretty much complete normality at some point in 2021, probably in the first half of the year. It could potentially even happen towards the very end of 2020, if we're being very optimistic, but 2021 is probably more likely. There are over 100 different vaccine candidates now and many more different drug trials being done; at least one of them is bound to work eventually. There's a chance that we could have a vaccine identified by the final quarter of this year, and have it in mass circulation by early 2021. But no matter when a solution is found, normal life will return eventually.

I thought this was a parody account, but the World Health Organisation are seemingly having to tell people not to drink bleach.

Seems as long as it's not autistics being force fed bleach they react quickly...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Now this is an interesting idea! Sicily in Italy is going to offer to pay for half of travellers' plane ticket costs and hotel costs in order to lure people back to the island once the lockdowns are over: https://apple.news/ASsGEzN8NQXeYzRjFFUSdIA

This is definitely an interesting idea, and I think it could work to help the tourism industry in Italy once the pandemic is over! What do you guys think?

The lockdown is already ending, the people control the government not the other way around.
The only reason it hasn’t already been ignored is because the weather is nice and most people are happy getting 80% of their salary to sit on their backsides in the garden drinking beer all day, oh and the media has got everyone too scared to go outside or you will die....
The weather is turning back to normal next week and most companies are gearing up to open again either next week or 5th May, it will be a domino effect and there is nothing the government can do about it, they rule by consent not force.
I’m off to bonny Scotland working away next week and had very little issue finding accommodation even though it’s all supposed to be closed...

Business rules the government, particularly when it's the Conservative Party. The lockdown reversal will begin when the pressure becomes too much - not long now.

I still honestly think in my personal opinion, it will just relax the lockdown at first if they went full throttle and just let places open and people just carry as normal then we would have a second wave in no time leading to another lockdown. If they relax lockdown slowly by firstly opening the high street with the same rules as supermarkets it gives them the chance to see how the virus is and if cases are rising. Once they have all the information they need I’m sure they will relax some more rules or let more places open. One thing is for certain last thing we want is another massive spike or second wave. Another lockdown is the last thing anyone wants.

FB-IMG-1587739130354.jpg

Business rules the government, particularly when it's the Conservative Party. The lockdown reversal will begin when the pressure becomes too much - not long now.
Yep, and then the death rates will lurch upwards again, the NHS will be overwhelmed and then they'll be pressure for another lockdown.

https://screenrant.com/disney-parks-reopen-january-2021-coronavirus/

UBS warn that Disney Parks are unlikely to open until January 1st 2021 and to expect 50% of their 2019 attendance throughout 2021. The article speculates that's Disney is losing $20m a day. (Well most of that is not making $xM a day)

It's a stark warning for the industry and Disney will be fine but there could be a whole lot less choice of theme parks next year :(

P.s. This is all worst case scenario stuff I'm sure, but it could be a grim year for our hobby. Knitting anyone?

I think it's obvious that things won't get back to normal until next year. However that doesn't mean things will stay like they are now for the same period.

Restrictions will slowly ease over the coming weeks and months, I'm confident of it. Testing and tracing will become more important and that will mean some of the more draconian restrictions can be lifted. However there will still be social distancing for the foreseeable and some activities I can't see getting back to normal any time soon such as pubs, festivals etc.

I think it's obvious that things won't get back to normal until next year. However that doesn't mean things will stay like they are now for the same period.

Restrictions will slowly ease over the coming weeks and months, I'm confident of it. Testing and tracing will become more important and that will mean some of the more draconian restrictions can be lifted. However there will still be social distancing for the foreseeable and some activities I can't see getting back to normal any time soon such as pubs, festivals etc.
Chris Whitty, Britain's Chief Medical Officer, seems to agree with you @Alsty; even though he insists that social distancing will need to be maintained for a long time, he thinks that lockdown will not be in place "for the indefinite future": https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/uk-coronavirus-lockdown-end-prof-chris-whitty-a4423761.html

What he says is that he sees long-term life being a balance between normal life and the measures we have now, so if you have lockdown and the more extreme social distancing measures on one end of the spectrum and normal life on the other, he says that life until a pharmaceutical solution is found will likely fall somewhere in the middle, which I think sounds like quite a fair compromise.
https://screenrant.com/disney-parks-reopen-january-2021-coronavirus/

UBS warn that Disney Parks are unlikely to open until January 1st 2021 and to expect 50% of their 2019 attendance throughout 2021. The article speculates that's Disney is losing $20m a day. (Well most of that is not making $xM a day)

It's a stark warning for the industry and Disney will be fine but there could be a whole lot less choice of theme parks next year :(

P.s. This is all worst case scenario stuff I'm sure, but it could be a grim year for our hobby. Knitting anyone?
There's other models that suggest Disney could open as soon as June, however, and Disney themselves even said that they anticipate a closure of no more than 6 months when they sent furlough letters to their employees at the start of April.

Sorry for double posting, but I have some very good news on the vaccine front; a vaccine candidate in China has now been proven to work on monkeys: https://apple.news/A_g1YYUxnTImIUIFH1KOBCw

It was said that high doses worked the best, but even low doses triggered an immune response. They also said that the mutations of SARS-Cov-2 are not pronounced enough to affect the effectiveness of a vaccine.

As for where this vaccine is in development, it's currently in the human trial stages, with Phase 2 of human trials beginning in mid-May.

I don't know about you guys, but I think this is very, very good news!