• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
I certainly hope that the thing about there being two strains is true; if @GaryH's post about the percentage of cases with the less aggressive strain beginning to increase due to the more aggressive strain burning itself out are true, then that does make me a tad less worried.

I certainly hope that the thing about there being two strains is true; if @GaryH's post about the percentage of cases with the less aggressive strain beginning to increase due to the more aggressive strain burning itself out are true, then that does make me a tad less worried.

Definetely a lot less worried if it’s true. Seems Covid19S is the “Really bad cold/Flu” of the Covid19, and Covid19L is the one that’s giving people pneumonia and killing left right and centre.

Seems we’ve made some progress sequencing the virus as well based off of previous SARS and MERS vresearch allowing for same day confirmation which potentially may skew the numbers but give more definete results.

One of the Heads of one of the Health Orgs also claimed the incubation period is shorted then expected at most cases presenting around 5 days after infection, however the more serious cases seem to present around the day 7 mark and extending to 14 days for isolation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently the patient who died in Berkshire earlier was 75 years old, if you were interested. Combined with their apparent underlying health conditions, they definitely fell firmly into the risk factors for death from coronavirus. Still very sad that we've had a death, though; my condolences go to their family & friends.

I was talking to my dad earlier, however, and he raised an interesting point. In a case like this one, where the victim had an underlying health condition and had gone in and out of hospital recently due to it, how do we know that the patient didn't die of something else and just so happened to have coronavirus at the time of death? Of course there's a very high chance that the cause of death was the virus, but it's a point worth considering, in my opinion.

As for the article that @GaryH just shared; I must admit that that is rather concerning if true, but it does beg the question; if it does that much lung damage, why are so many people recovering from it? Why does it not have a higher CFR?

@Matt N in terms of recoveries there are definately reports of people dying after recovering, or turning positive again, or having other problems. A video on the BBC website was an interview with a woman from Singapore who seems to have been left with lung damage.

It's difficult to say at the moment how many people who have recovered won't have a permanent form of damage going forward, and would be wrong to suggest everyone who recovers has no further health problems.

@Matt N in terms of recoveries there are definately reports of people dying after recovering, or turning positive again, or having other problems. A video on the BBC website was an interview with a woman from Singapore who seems to have been left with lung damage.

It's difficult to say at the moment how many people who have recovered won't have a permanent form of damage going forward, and would be wrong to suggest everyone who recovers has no further health problems.
Hopefully this is only in the more aggressive strain, and the less aggressive strain that everyone's talking about does not cause these types of problems.

@GaryH In regards too the two different strains going around, is it possible to be infected with S, recover, then become infected with L and succumb to it?

Do we have any idea which strain is currently circulating?

@GaryH In regards too the two different strains going around, is it possible to be infected with S, recover, then become infected with L and succumb to it?

Do we have any idea which strain is currently circulating?

Yes, the L strain they think is more dominant at the moment accounting for 70pc of infections with S the other 30 but they need to do more research on this.

And yes they found someone in the US in the sample infected with both. It may cause problems for a vaccine which is the main concern, i.e. will a vaccine cover both strains or only one (bit like the flu)

Again, further research needed.

The amount of time later I hear on the news
“Most infected will only have mild symptoms”
Leads me to thing we are all fecked
The more they say it the more they are lies

And now they are on the delay tactic.

Bugger that, get it over and done with.
Send out the drones and spray the infection about

Still waiting for the first UK death where the person had no other complications.

The sensationalist Australian article quoted above references an 85-year-old fatality that had lung damage. It's vague and contains little fact.

I have 2 concerns about this 80% mild assumption....

1. It's mostly based on Chinese data. How accurate is this? Do we trust them? Why so many people on hospital if it's mostly mild and why when reading experiences of people who recovered and had mostly mild symptoms most struggled to breathe and ended up in hospital? And if mild why are 50% of people in Italy hospitalised and another 2300 waiting for a hospital bed in South Korea? Doesn't add up to me.

2. There have been plenty of deaths of people under 50 with no pre existing conditions. Many of the medics in China who died were young with no conditions listed. In NYC tonight a 40 year old made has been rushed in to ITU in a severe condition. While yes the majority of people may be over 60ish but there is a chunk of younger people coming down and dying from this and we don't yet know why.

Personally from the figures around the world and all that is being said about this, I think the 80% figure being used to ensure the panic is controlled and countries keep functioning.

The recovery rate and CFR seems to completely dependent on the quality of the healthcare received. I hear South Africa has had a case today, that really is very concerning of it spreads through Africa.

Edit:. The first UK death which was in Japan and a chap from the cruise ship..... Ever never released details on him. We don't know his age. Poor health condition.

There is still a considerable rate of opiate addiction in trained doctors around the world, especially in the east.
All doctors aren't clean and shiny, I have worked with care kids whose middle class parents were both addicted ex doctors.
Prescription abuse still happens.
Quite common, not much talked about.
Makes the medics die sooner after infection due to previous organ damage.

Anyone watched BBC1 Question timed last night? They had the health minister Matt Hancock on the panel.

From what I understood, he more or less answered why we haven't isolated this country by stopping movement of people. The virus is going around and if we stop movement of people in and out of the country, the virus will still make it way over here. Stopping movement of people won't stop the virus reaching us, but it will only delay the virus getting to us. Stopping movement of people will also stop the movement of goods in and out of our country. By stopping the movement of goods, this will not only hurt the economy, but will also prevent the movement of essential medical and medicines into the UK which will inhibit the treatment of the virus when it arrives.

The other interesting thing he mentioned, that hand washing will not stop you from getting the virus, it will only slow down and delay the transmission of the virus.

As for mass gatherings, let's take a sporting event, a single person infected will not infect the whole stadium, they will only infect those within a few feet. So if someone is infected, they will infect the same amount of people whether it is a mass gathering or a simple trip to the local shop. So there is no need to stop mass gatherings at the moment.

So what I can make of it, the virus is doing it rounds and we will all end up getting it at some point, it is age dependant so the younger you are, the less you have to worry, but the older you are or if you have any underlying health issue, then there is a real concern.

As much as this government saying that they are well prepared for dealing with this virus, the real concern is that this is not only going to affect the economy but also the NHS which is already struggling without having the additional strain of this virus which is the reason for the government trying to delay the spread of this virus.

The bottom line is, that there is very little that we all can do, we are all in the same boat here, I'm just going to carry on as normal, as a carer I regularly routinely wash my hands anyway. As much as all this is worrying and a major concern, I'm not going to make myself ill by worrying about it nor am I going out panic buying which is also unnecessarily.

In general if you get moderate to severe Pneumonia you will have lasting lung damage no matter what the initial cause of the Pneumonia was. This isn’t unique to Corona Virus. Severe Inflammation is like any wound, if it’s bad enough it leaves scarring, when you scar the lungs they become fibrous and less efficient.

Point is this outcome does not differentiate this virus from other existing ones that can cause Pneumonia.

I have 2 concerns about this 80% mild assumption....

1. It's mostly based on Chinese data. How accurate is this? Do we trust them? Why so many people on hospital if it's mostly mild and why when reading experiences of people who recovered and had mostly mild symptoms most struggled to breathe and ended up in hospital? And if mild why are 50% of people in Italy hospitalised and another 2300 waiting for a hospital bed in South Korea? Doesn't add up to me.

2. There have been plenty of deaths of people under 50 with no pre existing conditions. Many of the medics in China who died were young with no conditions listed. In NYC tonight a 40 year old made has been rushed in to ITU in a severe condition. While yes the majority of people may be over 60ish but there is a chunk of younger people coming down and dying from this and we don't yet know why.

Personally from the figures around the world and all that is being said about this, I think the 80% figure being used to ensure the panic is controlled and countries keep functioning.

The recovery rate and CFR seems to completely dependent on the quality of the healthcare received. I hear South Africa has had a case today, that really is very concerning of it spreads through Africa.

Edit:. The first UK death which was in Japan and a chap from the cruise ship..... Ever never released details on him. We don't know his age. Poor health condition.

We come back to you obsessing over health statistics. As mentioned before these numbers are all over the place, the scientists will be adjusting for factors such as unreliable data but the more adjustments you make the greater the level of error you introduce. The numbers will keep fluctuating.

The virus clearly harms the elderly and the ill, of all things that’s been well established. Doesn’t mean you won’t get young people die, the doctors caring for the sick are being exposed to the virus in extreme and were probably working long shifts so fatigue comes into play. You also have some younger people who genetically might be more susceptible (ironically enough sometimes people with hyper sensitive immune systems can die due to the immune system getting over excited and attacking healthy tissue). As I have mentioned I have seen a 40 year old healthy person die of Chicken Pox and a 20 year old nearly die of tonsillitis, any graph of death against age will have what are known as “outliers”. Humans are not machines, there is always a level of variability.

The UK experience so far has borne out the expected path for the virus (well it’s actually transmitted a little slower than expected).

The amount of time later I hear on the news
“Most infected will only have mild symptoms”
Leads me to thing we are all fecked
The more they say it the more they are lies

And now they are on the delay tactic.

Bugger that, get it over and done with.
Send out the drones and spray the infection about

You support Brexit and the Tory’s, surely you like believing lies?

Well. The virus has arrived here in Tamworth. Two cases this morning of two people in the Wilnecote and Amington areas of the town. Although the location is yet to be officially announced, they are here in the town. Official sources state Staffordshire.

Time to buy 10 litres of rum, lock myself away and ride this baby out. I have genuinely heard that certain columbian powders and strong alcohol can fight off the virus. Maybe I'll give that a try. If the virus is gonna get me, may aswel go out with a bang. Give myself a good fighting chance and if not, I'll be too mashed to care.

Last edited: