• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Personally I think the CFR is lower as there must be thousands upon thousands of people or there with this illness since December. People around the world have complained of a strange bad flu like illness in December.

I think in the UK we probably have nearly 1000 infections, and if we did antibody tests we would find many more who had it and recovered.

My worry and concern about this virus is that 20% who will get it bad. How do we look after them.....

When you alarm going through a metal detector in airport security and they swab your hands with little Teflon swabs which they then insert into their ETD (explosive trace detection) machines.

They call those little pieces of Teflon swabs sample traps and they are multi use. Yes they could have swabbed dozens of peoples hands with the same swab before yours. And they're still doing it even with this virus on the go.

But it's fine, everyone is washing their hands regularly :banghead:

Weve lost 3 people and its incredibly sad but like Tom says we lose roughly 1600 people every day as it is from various other issues. Cancer, road traffic collisions, alcohol abuse etc.

The 3 people who have died thus far have all been described as having significant underlying health issues. This is important to note. When a big number of otherwise healthy people start dying then I will worry.

No idea why Italy is so bad. It really makes no sense to me but there you are. Must have been a strong link to Wuhan there. Was it the doctor? I can't recall.

People need to relax. Panicking isn't going to help anyone. And bulk buying soap so lots of other people go with out is counter intuitive too. Think about it.

I believe Italy have an older population. Talking to a few italians a large chunk of the younger generations have had to leave Italy for better job opportunitys. This has left Italy with an aging population, and therefore more vulnerable to illnesses like this.

On the subject of bulk buying, surely this is only going to make the situation worse? If everyone brought what they needed, as usual, enough stocks would be around even in a shortage. Now though, it’s ridiculous m. I genuinely needed toilet roll, had to visit four shops to find some yesterday. Imagine if I have the virus how many people could I have spread this too?

The sooner the government locks down schools etc the better

Well I think the shops should've started rationing sooner. The whole thing is ridiculous as the people hoarding actually increase the risk to everybody, including themselves, when other people can't get essential sanitary products.

:(
Working in some old people flats today.
Lady telling me the bloke in the flat below has just come back from Italy this weekend :(
Not had any checks. He’s currently outside washing his car.
I’m screwed.
Old people are screwed.
Lady is calling him back and blue.
“ look at him. He’s out again. It’s not right you know. Shouldn’t be allowed. I don’t like him. “

Some figures just out of Italy reveal why the death rate is so high:

Mean age of deceased is 81.4 years.
48 females (31%) rest males.
Death occurs mainly in patients above age of 80.
<90 -14.3 %
80-89 -8.2 %
70-79 -4.0 %
60-69 - 1.4 %
50-59 - 0.1 %
< 50 - NO DEATHS
21#(15.5%) had 0-1, 25#(18.5%) had 2 & 70#(60.3%) had 3 or more comorbidites

Interesting article here interviewing Dr Bruce Aylward of the WHO after a visit to China. Goes in to a lot of detail about the outbreak and how China dealt with it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/...na-aylward.html#click=https://t.co/PllEighRI1

Two things stand out from this article

1) Mild cases ..... well according to the article, this is not like a common cold, mild is fever, cough and even pneumonia but not requiring oxygen. Not sure I would consider pneumonia to be a mild illness but there we go!

2) The tests being done in China. People got test results back within 4 hours, and they were doing 200 CT scans per hour!!!! The NHS does probably 3 or 4 an hour!

Last edited: