• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Today's UK coronavirus update sees our cases rise by 46 to 319; not as large of a rise as I was expecting, actually, and smaller than yesterday. Also bear in mind that over 25,000 have now been tested; that's an increase of over 1,000 negative tests on yesterday.

The government has also decided against introducing social distancing measures just yet; according to them, we are still in the "contain" phase.

However, we have sadly had our 4th death, as a man in his 70s with underlying health conditions has now died.

Today's UK coronavirus update sees our cases rise by 46 to 319; not as large of a rise as I was expecting, actually, and smaller than yesterday. Also bear in mind that over 25,000 have now been tested; that's an increase of over 1,000 negative tests on yesterday.

The government has also decided against introducing social distancing measures just yet; according to them, we are still in the "contain" phase.

However, we have sadly had our 4th death, as a man in his 70s with underlying health conditions has now died.
I don't understand it. If we're still in the "contain" phase, isn't now the time to be putting in place stricter isolation measures, after seeing the virus spread through Italy? I'm not getting into a panic like some people here, but Boris Johnson seems way too lax about this.

It is lower, but so are the tests, they seem to be going more one day then less the next, then more, then less... Not sure what's going on!

I don't understand it. If we're still in the "contain" phase, isn't now the time to be putting in place stricter isolation measures, after seeing the virus spread through Italy? I'm not getting into a panic like some people here, but Boris Johnson seems way too lax about this.

Agree with you, how can you “contain” if people can freely move around / large gatherings.

If this is as serious as we’re told then we really should be on restrictions to prevent the spread.

I think they could potentially try some milder measures, but I don't think they want to do China/Italy-style things like close schools and lock everyone in their houses prematurely, either.

I think they could potentially try some milder measures, but I don't think they want to do China/Italy-style things like close schools and lock everyone in their houses prematurely, either.
If keeping people in their houses could halt the spread of the virus (and why would Italy and China be so draconian without good reason - this is hurting their economies) then is acting now really premature?

Delay phase. Will see schools close, theme park won't open and someone will have to set a skype chat call water cooler time wasting.

Seriously this is the 3 stages of pandemic defence

9db138608c2944111bc2f8237ea0f8bb.jpg

Yeah I don't understand it either. We have an opportunity to stop it but they choose not to. However can we stop it? I'm not sure while flights keep coming in.

What I have wondered is of they are trying to get the younger population infected to develop a herd immunity while the elderly stay in and can access healthcare should they need to. If enough people get it and develop antibodies (as has been proven they do today) then the virus will struggle to find people to infect as time progresses.

Edit : 5th person just died. 70 year old with health conditions. Not doing too well so far are we!

BA have just canceled and moved our flight to Liseberg :mad:
this virus thing has just gone too far now

its a bit of a sore throat, maybe a runny nose, no need to go canceling flights left right and centre :mad:

What I have wondered is of they are trying to get the younger population infected to develop a herd immunity while the elderly stay in and can access healthcare should they need to. If enough people get it and develop antibodies (as has been proven they do today) then the virus will struggle to find people to infect as time progresses.
That's a solid theory, actually; if herd immunity can develop far enough, then that might in theory eradicate the disease to an extent. That's pretty much how vaccines work, come to think of it!

Well I think the shops should've started rationing sooner. The whole thing is ridiculous as the people hoarding actually increase the risk to everybody, including themselves, when other people can't get essential sanitary products.

Tesco are limiting certain products to max of 5 per customer

wheres the
We are all up **** creak with no bog roll phase

There is plenty of bog roll in our local Tesco. I've just bought a couple of packs (which is what we normally buy each week, after all, I have a wife and daughter that live with me, and you know how much paper they use).

If you want me to send you some, I can do it for £1000 per roll plus p&p o_O

This panic buying hasn't affected us, we have been for many years as a habit, have a stock cupboard for essential long shelf life products/food. So we are always purchasing ahead of what we need. So there is no need for us to panic buy. However in the light of recent events, we decided to increase our stock cupboard buy a sensible increase each week (not the same as panic buying, as we are not clearing the shelf's, just purchasing the extra item) just in-case we ever have to self isolate or the UK ever gets into lock down mode.

On the rest of the subject. We all need to stop worrying, stop reading those websites that are spreading fear. Just look at the scientific facts and put your faith and trust into our great NHS. The internet is full of misinformation. For all the current up to date information, as well as the WHO site, but also check out the NHS web page that will give you the appropriate advice as well as Q&A's

Overview https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

Advice for travellers https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/advice-for-travellers/

Common Questions https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/common-questions/

Milder measures could end up with more elderly and chronically ill getting it.
Some may say that would help the government purse in the medium term.

The government have a tough decision to decide when to move from contain to delay.

There is financial and social implications and affect education including exams.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

BA have just canceled and moved our flight to Liseberg :mad:
this virus thing has just gone too far now

its a bit of a sore throat, maybe a runny nose, no need to go canceling flights left right and centre :mad:
Hang on, a few pages back...
If everyone just stayed in there own country. We would have none of this :rolleyes:
But no. People have to go fanny about the planet spreading their festering bubo and dooming us all